Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Philbert , do you think a goofy file would work on this chain lol. I was looking thru a few chains and found it, thin wheel and they sure went deep, guess they wanted to be sure to get the gullet .

I hand filed this Oregon EXL just enough to remove the crazy factory grind since it was just slowing down a little. They work great for sure, but very difficult to duplicate the profile without using a grinder and multiple angles.
Of course, the question is, do you want your cutters to look like that?

@old guy posted about his secret recipe for matching these new 'Out-Of-The-Box' grinds, using multiple grinder settings or different files for different parts of the profile.

Philbert

I’ve always liked the 55’s.

My first experience with 55 Husky came in the mid 90’s. My friend’s dad died when he was 16 and left behind a Mac 2-10 that barely ran (I later acquired the saw and trashed the bullfrog carb for a Walbro). His mom popped for the saw so he could get work done without the Mac issues. We did a lot of cutting with that 55 around his place and mine.

What would cause you to think it’s a CP? I did not see +++ on the side. I’ve yet to encounter one.
The recoil sticker. Iirc the standard open port had a sticker that said rancher on it.
The closed port also has the decomp which I can see in your pic and the top of the cylinder is shaped different as are the fins.
I had nice one like that with the compression release on the side, I donated to one of the fund raisers on here some years ago.
That's when I learned they came both ways.
I learned about then buy buying them and having one given to me. I had 3 of them at one time, 2 were closed port. I thought it was odd because all the guys were saying how rare they were, later I bought a few others and they were all open port lol.
Iirc mine had just under 180psi compression, it was a great runner. The recoil also blew up on it with all that compression, I don't use decomps, but I started using it on that one.
Not sure where that one went, but I sent one to FL and a pair to Wisconsin not far from you.

A few years ago, @muddstopper generously gave me a couple 55/51 series parts saws and I bought one more locally. Had enough parts and a good OP cylinder to build a nice 55 for my uncle. I bought one of those Chinese AM mufflers that was a hollow can and opened up the exhaust port significantly. The saw wasn’t a revver but had awesome torque.

Unfortunately I’ll never know how that saw lasted as my uncle and I had a falling out-he’s ultra far right wing so my moderate right wing beliefs weren’t satisfactory to him. The final straw for him cutting ties with me was his disappointment in my watching NFL games. I didn’t have any issues with him but he defriended me, my wife, and all of my kids and no longer speaks to us. Yeah, go figure.

A few years ago, @muddstopper generously gave me a couple 55/51 series parts saws and I bought one more locally. Had enough parts and a good OP cylinder to build a nice 55 for my uncle. I bought one of those Chinese AM mufflers that was a hollow can and opened up the exhaust port significantly. The saw wasn’t a revver but had awesome torque.

Unfortunately I’ll never know how that saw lasted as my uncle and I had a falling out-he’s ultra far right wing so my moderate right wing beliefs weren’t satisfactory to him. The final straw for him cutting ties with me was his disappointment in my watching NFL games. I didn’t have any issues with him but he defriended me, my wife, and all of my kids and no longer speaks to us. Yeah, go figure.
I thought they had nice torque too, similar to the 353, too bad they have that front tensioner and no quick clips on the cover. You can change out the on/off switch for the return to run style though, which is nice. Last I recall the air filters were getting hard to find, sure that one looks nice though.
The biggest thing that killed most of them(other than typical operator error) was the intake leaking, I think I have a link to a fix saved.

Of course, the question is, do you want your cutters to look like that?

@old guy posted about his secret recipe for matching these new 'Out-Of-The-Box' grinds, using multiple grinder settings or different files for different parts of the profile.

Philbert
No, I don't :laugh:.
I thought you might get a kick out of it. I have had a few chains ground with very narrow wheels that cut very well, but they didn't grind them nearly that low.
Didn't see his post on that, but I'd be interested in seeing it. I just grind them normally, then tilt the head to match the underside angle and hit all the cutters again with it like that, but I set the depth so I don't go very far down the side plate, about .030. A more squared off wheel would work better than one rounded to do 3/8, as a thin wheel like was used on that chain I posted. The new husky chains and the Oregon EXL chains have the crazy grind, they cut like mad, but they aren't easy to duplicate, I wonder if they will come out with a filing system for them.

I lived in St. Lawrence County through the '70s, one of NY's "rooftop" counties, from my place Canada was 12 miles away. It's called "the north country" for a reason (though Canadians refer to Ontario to the north as "the great southeast). I recall one 13-day period when the high temp never exceeded 2* above zero and overnights were 20--30 below. The good thing about a spell like that is crystal clear skies, and you could work in the sun during the day (and that sun reflecting off the snow was very nice).

I also remember one summer (it was either '77 or '78) when we had numerous 100-degree days and probably over 100 (memory is dim for that far back). I was putting up hay half the summer, and it was warm.

Great country all the same. Got a camp there that I love.

SVK and those Minnesotans can probably top the above. I seem to remember that International Falls, Minn. used to set the record lows.

I lived in St. Lawrence County through the '70s, one of NY's "rooftop" counties, from my place Canada was 12 miles away. It's called "the north country" for a reason (though Canadians refer to Ontario to the north as "the great southeast). I recall one 13-day period when the high temp never exceeded 2* above and overnights were 20--30 below. The good thing about a spell like that is crystal clear skies, and you could work in the sun during the day (and that sun reflecting off the snow was very nice).

I also remember one summer (it was either '77 or '78) when we had numerous 100-degree days and probably over 100 (memory is dim for that far back). I was putting up hay half the summer, and it was warm.

Great country all the same. Got a camp there that I love.

SVK and those Minnesotans can probably top the above. I seem to remember that International Falls, Minn. used to set the record lows.
Yeah we certainly have some of the most drastic temp swings. Lows in the -40’s at least once to a few times a winter and we’ll always have a few days in the 90’s per summer.

01 or 02 summer was insane. We had a couple dozen days over 90 and it think it was like 95 degrees in the last week of September when normally we have frost by then.

I thought they had nice torque too, similar to the 353, too bad they have that front tensioner and no quick clips on the cover. You can change out the on/off switch for the return to run style though, which is nice. Last I recall the air filters were getting hard to find, sure that one looks nice though.
The biggest thing that killed most of them(other than typical operator error) was the intake leaking, I think I have a link to a fix saved.
Yeah the intake leaks or the impulse grommet turning to mush killed more than any thing else. Usually they lean score enough to run like crap but not so bad that the cylinders cant be cleaned up.

I probably should throw a new intake and grommet in this saw before I use it any appreciable amount. But it will probably mostly be a shelf queen anyhow.

Winter overnight lows are usually in the 30s, but occasionally drop into the 20s. When that happens there’s a lot of attention on the farmers losing their citrus crop. I’m guessing the highs are in the 50s, not sure.

Summer highs are 90-112 degrees, but there’s usually a 30 degree overnight cool off.
omg...he isn't kidding! :surprised3: and i thot it got hot here in August ~

115 degrees
That is very close to the hottest Fresno has ever gotten, the all-time record high is 115 degrees set July 8th, 1905. The sweltering heat is hitting our neighbors too.

I also remember one summer (it was either '77 or '78) when we had numerous 100-degree days and probably over 100 (memory is dim for that far back). I was putting up hay half the summer, and it was warm. Great country all the same. Got a camp there that I love.
a number of years ago we were seeing daily temps at 100+... and so one tv news crew decided to see if it was hot enuff to fry an egg on the hot pavement. it wasn't! lol no, not that day...

1618671245467.png

of course, the question that might arise is... can one fry breakfast out on the sidewalk in front of their house... [:rolleyes:]

Can you fry an egg on pavement?
According to the Library of Congress, it's possible, but not probable, that you could fry an egg on a sidewalk during a hot day. Eggs need to reach a temperature of 158*F to cook through. Sidewalks can usually get up to 145*F. The hotter the day, the more likely your egg will fry

1618673724816.png

however, if a person wants to try:

How do you cook an egg on the pavement?
This can be done by laying a sheet of tinfoil (shiny side up) on the sidewalk or driveway (it should be flat or level) where the sun is directly shining. Curl up the edges of the tinfoil so that the egg stays on the tinfoil. Crack your egg and pour the contents on the tinfoil. Your egg will soon start to cook.

1618671535246.png

:rolleyes:

Yeah the intake leaks or the impulse grommet turning to mush killed more than any thing else. Usually they lean score enough to run like crap but not so bad that the cylinders cant be cleaned up.

I probably should throw a new intake and grommet in this saw before I use it any appreciable amount. But it will probably mostly be a shelf queen anyhow.
I think one of the problems was also the screws into the cylinder side got loose and ruined the threads. Unfortunately I can't find the link to the fix, I think it may have been posted by Brett Smith. Iirc they were using a threaded insert in the plastic so you could use a machine thread/screw instead of the coarse thread that was stock.
Here's the one I had that broke the recoil, it was a fun saw, ironic this picture had it next to a 353 :).
Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 10.14.35 AM.png
Here's a picture of a closed port cylinder. Notice the angle on the fins(right where the coil wire is), on the open port the fins were rounded when they made the transition from the side to the back.The biggest giveaway is the decomposition though.
Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 10.21.20 AM.png

I’ll check that out. Mine has decomp but I read some OP have decomp too.

Forgot about those stupid screws too. Yes that was another design flaw if you didn’t keep an eye on things.

Too bad that one had the dreaded Husky fade. About the only downside to that era of Huskies, they liked to turn color when they got a suntan.

Latest posts

Back