Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard it said that there is no such thing as a balance of nature; Nature deals in excesses.
The problem we have now is we manage some species and not others.

Beavers are another. If I cut down a live tree on public land, they’ll fine me 100 bucks. But beaver populations are out of control and they destroy thousands of acres of timber per year. And only certain state Trappers are paid a bounty if they trap a beaver out of a roadside ditch. The rest of the trappers literally make ten bucks off castors and a couple off pelts.

Moose which I love, really take the brunt of the overpopulation of wolves. Moose are slow to regenerate and 40 percent of calves are lost to wolves in the first year. But nobody at the state or federal level seems to give two ****s about it and some go as far as denying that wolves play a big role in calf mortality.

I’ll look. They are from 1X12 pine. I know I have made some modifications to the original plan. But they have 24” walls, 3” high by 4” wide entry hole.
Thanks. As I'm sure you know there a few different variations in sizes. I just want to pick one that has the most success.

A while I told you guys that I had some changes coming up.....well three weeks ago Mrs K informed me that she does not want to be Mrs K any more....we were together 21 years and married for 16.

There is no sense ******** about who did what and why but we simply are two good people who just are no longer compatible. Literally the only thing we have in common is we both like to go out to eat and we have kids together.

We have both vowed to dissolve things agreeably and respectfully. So far so good on that.

PLEASE....do not say you are sorry or feel sorry for me...I am doing fine! I will see through this to an even better life. I have already become more dedicated to improving my health, I have lost 17 lbs in the past 20 days and plan to lose another 43 lbs before I quit.

Moose which I love, really take the brunt of the overpopulation of wolves. Moose are slow to regenerate and 40 percent of calves are lost to wolves in the first year. But nobody at the state or federal level seems to give two ****s about it and some go as far as denying that wolves play a big role in calf mortality.
that's because the asshats in charge,,have tons of book knowledge,,and not a damn bit about the wildlife actual conditions

Same with the reintroduction of elk in WI. Wolves love elk calves. It's taken 30 years to get to a "huntable" population here. Probably half that time without wolves.

One note about predators: if you think back to our fathers and grandfathers generations, almost every young man trapped furbearers. As a result all types of game animals flourished because there were almost no raccoons, mink, Pine Martin, Fisher, weasel, fox, coyote, or wolves to kill game animals. At this point the price of fur is so low as well as everyone’s infatuation with predator animals comes at the cost of predation on prey species.We as conservation minded Sportsmen need to lead the charge for sensible control of predator species. If someone thinks that hawk, Fox, or mink, is cute.....That’s fine but they need to understand what those animals do for a living.
Very perceptive. Something that never occurred to me. It just so happens that my camp property adjoins that of a guy who is still trapping, in fact my property used to be part of his, so his trapping continues, with my blessing.

We have a large pond, about 35 acres, on my place and I used to tell Harold (my neighbor) to take every beaver possible, in order to protect the trees. I know he's harvesting them, although there's now a second beaver lodge and they are very active. I've revised my thinking on beaver however. Entirely due to reading the recent book: "Eager, the Surprising, Secret Life of Beavers and Why they Matter." https://www.amazon.com/Eager-Surpri...ocphy=9028818&hvtargid=pla-662764481191&psc=1
Although I see very nice trees chewed down by the beaver, the area around my pond has become "park-like," more open and attractive and probably more inviting to other wildlife. Read that book! It's quite an eye-opener.

Here's my wood duck box:
and a couple of my common bird houses--the first one had bluebirds last year, and the one on my house siding usually hosts tree swallows. I design all my bird boxes so the front panel is hinged by a screw thru either side to swing open for annual cleanout. Usually I extend the rear panel above and below the box to accommodate mounting screws.
There's plentiful sites online that provide dimensions for duck boxes, and I just adapt those to my own design. One thing I do with all bird houses is when I cut the floor piece, I nip off each corner at a 45* angle to provide ventilation. I also like rough surfaced wood to enable birds to cling. On the inside of the duck boxes I even cut a few light horizontal kerfs below the opening to ensure good climbing surface for the little ones.
One main consideration is the opening: for wood ducks it's an oval, 3" high x 4" wide.

Attachments

• DSC02618.JPG
    DSC02618.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 7
  • DSC02619.JPG
    DSC02619.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 6
  • DSC02620.JPG
    DSC02620.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 6
  • DSC02621.JPG
    DSC02621.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 7
A while I told you guys that I had some changes coming up.....well three weeks ago Mrs K informed me that she does not want to be Mrs K any more....we were together 21 years and married for 16.

There is no sense ******** about who did what and why but we simply are two good people who just are no longer compatible. Literally the only thing we have in common is we both like to go out to eat and we have kids together.

We have both vowed to dissolve things agreeably and respectfully. So far so good on that.

PLEASE....do not say you are sorry or feel sorry for me...I am doing fine! I will see through this to an even better life. I have already become more dedicated to improving my health, I have lost 17 lbs in the past 20 days and plan to lose another 43 lbs before I quit.
keep carrying on Steve... best to you.. damn....

Got behind again and had to jump ahead. I've got about 3 minutes to get diner off the grill. I wnated to do some thing different once, so I did a search for grilled meat loaf. Low and behold, Weber, as in the grills, also have restaurants where thyey cook every thing on grills. This is their meat loaf recipe. It is out of this world.
xcGNBdi.jpg

Same with the reintroduction of elk in WI. Wolves love elk calves. It's taken 30 years to get to a "huntable" population here. Probably half that time without wolves.
Interesting. I'm headed for Eau' Claire in the morning. Always knew to watch out for stray cattle and drunken Packer fans, but never thought about elk.

I hear you with your last paragraph, Steve. All the same, I'm sure we all recognise that a break up at this point has to be a hugely disruptive event especially with the children. I have been reading your posts from the other side of the world for 5 years and I believe you are a good man. I hope you can work through this and that you and your family can come out the other side in good form. All the best, mate.

On to happier things, my bonfire!

The main woody part of the structure was complete but I stihl had a few cubes (a cord's worth) of logs to take down.

Bonfire 15.jpg

There were lots of treasures in here.

Bonfire 14.jpg

Bonfire 13.jpg

Luckily, I was using a Stihl otherwise my saws would have sustained damage.

A bit of gym work.

Bonfire 10.jpg

It seemed a shame to take such nice looking peppermint down to torch in one go on a bonfire.

Bonfire 16.jpg

All the poles and tops are down there now.

Bonfire 11.jpg

Current structure is about 9ft high and all wood. Next comes the light material - leaves/bark/sticks - then the tops and poles, with a bit of noodle action at the end.

Bonfire 12.jpg

Hopefully, the silly thing burns.

:)

My neighbors sold their house and are supposed to close soon. They left for their temporary place yesterday and are all moved out. Earlier this spring I bought several things from them including a bunch of pre-epa gas cans. He found a few more cleaning up and gave them to me plus this wheelbarrow, some shovels, and a couple DBA’s that appear to be quite old.3C03327C-F4B1-4130-BD5A-8671E5DD61D1.jpeg

Steve, best of Luck, and very glad things are amicable, but as Cowboy said - watch the kids ... it will not be easy on them.

I give everyone going through a divorce the same advice (and with approx 400 clients I give it too often) "Always keep the kids in mind first, and you will not regret what you do".

Here’s a wood duck house and a barred owl house. I have two barred owl houses up this year (first time). The duck house is pretty straight forward. I have a clean out on the front of it.
View attachment 906184
Your owl box looks about perfect.
Is there an access door for cleanout?
I'm making a few Barred Owl nest boxes myself.
One for me and two for a customer.

Back