Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not have an encounter with the chainsaw despite what it may appear.
20210512_202338.jpg
I scrounged a truckload of firewood tonight including some box elder with the red streaks in it. Most will go for shoulder season firewood, but I saved a few chunks for my brother to see what interesting projects he can make. Honestly, I wouldn't have even gotten the wood, but he expressed mild interest in a few pieces. And there is another truckload or more of ash included as well. And it's free. So there's that.
20210512_221617.jpg
20210512_203417.jpg20210512_202755.jpg20210512_202248.jpg

Enlighten this city boy. What’s the advantage? If one side dulls, use the other? Also, handle is straight rather than slightly curved?
That and one side is usually thinner for chopping and the other is thicker for splitting.

I prefer a nice single but axe for work but the doubles have such a nice look to them.

Very perceptive. Something that never occurred to me. It just so happens that my camp property adjoins that of a guy who is still trapping, in fact my property used to be part of his, so his trapping continues, with my blessing.

We have a large pond, about 35 acres, on my place and I used to tell Harold (my neighbor) to take every beaver possible, in order to protect the trees. I know he's harvesting them, although there's now a second beaver lodge and they are very active. I've revised my thinking on beaver however. Entirely due to reading the recent book: "Eager, the Surprising, Secret Life of Beavers and Why they Matter." https://www.amazon.com/Eager-Surpri...ocphy=9028818&hvtargid=pla-662764481191&psc=1
Although I see very nice trees chewed down by the beaver, the area around my pond has become "park-like," more open and attractive and probably more inviting to other wildlife. Read that book! It's quite an eye-opener.
This vid popped up on one of my hunting forums. It was shot up in @svk 's neck of the woods.

Bonfire update!

I took the last couple of cubes of peppermint down this morning.

Bonfire 17.jpg

I had some negative feedback on farcebook a few days ago, with a few women :nofunny: saying that it is dreadful seeing all that wood being wasted and that it should go to the needy who can't afford to buy their own. Yes, apparently I am supposed to spend my all of my time, effort and money cutting wood to give away to people I don't know. Now, I've given away some, maybe 20 cubes or 6 cord or so over the last few years, but for armchair critics to have a go at me while I'm putting 70 hours of unpaid labour in my own time and at my own expense for a community event....well, I thought that was mildly unreasonable. So I enjoyed throwing some beautiful split peppermint up on there and posting it for them to choke on.

I threw on 5 cubes of light material today. I know it doesn't look it, but the pile is nearly 12ft high now. I hope to get it near 18ft by the end. We'll see. It all depends on gravity and leverage. It is 52ft in circumference.

Bonfire 18.jpg

:)

Bonfire update!

View attachment 906528

I had some negative feedback on farcebook a few days ago, with a few women saying that it is dreadful seeing all that wood being wasted and that it should go to the needy who can't afford to buy their own. Yes, apparently I am supposed to spend my all of my time, effort and money cutting wood to give away to people I don't know. Now, I've given away some, maybe 20 cubes or 6 cord or so over the last few years, but for armchair critics to have a go at me while I'm putting 70 hours of unpaid labour in my own time and at my own expense for a community event....well, I thought that was mildly unreasonable. So I enjoyed throwing some beautiful split peppermint up on there and posting it for them to choke on.

I threw on 5 cubes of light material today. I know it doesn't look it, but the pile is nearly 12ft high now. I hope to get it near 18ft by the end. We'll see. It all depends on gravity and leverage. It is 52ft in circumference.

View attachment 906529

Invite the critics to spend a day out in the bush with you cutting and THEM splitting and loading.

Invite the critics to spend a day out in the bush with you cutting and THEM splitting and loading.
Exactly what I was thinking. Instead of wasting their time surfing Facebook to criticize they should use their time to help others. Maybe they could donate their computer/I-phone to someone less fortunate.

I did not have an encounter with the chainsaw despite what it may appear.
View attachment 906487
I scrounged a truckload of firewood tonight including some box elder with the red streaks in it. Most will go for shoulder season firewood, but I saved a few chunks for my brother to see what interesting projects he can make. Honestly, I wouldn't have even gotten the wood, but he expressed mild interest in a few pieces. And there is another truckload or more of ash included as well. And it's free. So there's that.
View attachment 906492
View attachment 906488View attachment 906489View attachment 906490
OMG! Flamed Box Elder! Should never be burned for firewood! Makes great bowl blanks and flat stock. Get those short boards sealed ASAP or they will be useless.

Bonfire update!

View attachment 906528

I had some negative feedback on farcebook a few days ago, with a few women :nofunny: saying that it is dreadful seeing all that wood being wasted and that it should go to the needy who can't afford to buy their own. Yes, apparently I am supposed to spend my all of my time, effort and money cutting wood to give away to people I don't know. Now, I've given away some, maybe 20 cubes or 6 cord or so over the last few years, but for armchair critics to have a go at me while I'm putting 70 hours of unpaid labour in my own time and at my own expense for a community event....well, I thought that was mildly unreasonable. So I enjoyed throwing some beautiful split peppermint up on there and posting it for them to choke on.

View attachment 906529

I've been meaning to ask for a long time, and to show my ignorance, what the heck is a 'cube'. Peppermint cubes sounds tasty :laugh: .

Bonfire update!

View attachment 906528

View attachment 906529

Tell those people to G F Y. Do they not realize how much wood simply rots away out in the woods.

They are simply do nothing, know nothing trolls.

Enlighten this city boy. What’s the advantage? If one side dulls, use the other? Also, handle is straight rather than slightly curved?
One side has a finer edge for felling work, and the other is less fine for limbing. Limbing is more likely to hit the ground where a fine edge would not hold up. I filed bright little grooves into the limbing side of my axe so I could see at a glance which side was which.

The use of double bitted axes is frowned upon nowadays due to their propensity for injury. Once when I was working in the woods, and perhaps not paying close attention, I managed to miss my mark and hit instead a springy vine that popped the axe back in my direction. Took a direct hit to my skull, right at the hairline. It sliced neatly through three layers of toque hat and laid open my scalp. Much blood. I immediately went home, where I pealed off my hat and then . . . was kinda scared to find out how damaged I was so I edged slowly into the mirror. Realized it wasn't as bad as it might have been, but it was still pretty unnerving. Called a friend to come sit with me, just in case. My wife came home a while later. Being a nurse, she was all about how I needed stitches, etc. By this time the blood flow had stopped. Medical care was something like an hour's drive--and you have to pay for that crap--so I declined. She taped it up. Had a scar for years, but doubt I could find it now.

Tell those people to G F Y. Do they not realize how much wood simply rots away out in the woods.

They are simply do nothing, know nothing trolls.

That was my first thought.

That was my second thought.

You should post up some links to various charities where THEY can donate to. That may make them feel better about themselves.

This was my third thought.

Exactly what I was thinking. Instead of wasting their time surfing Facebook to criticize they should use their time to help others. Maybe they could donate their computer/I-phone to someone less fortunate.

Agreed. These are just stupid clueless bints who really do think that because the wood just appeared on their screen, it must have been easy to do and that a much better use (for the greater good, of course) would be to just give it away. Sure, then there's no community event for anyone but they don't care about that. Maybe I should let them come to my house and take all my stuff to give away to the needy as well.

It's no surprise to me that them not knowing anything doesn't stop them from having an opinion.

One side has a finer edge for felling work, and the other is less fine for limbing. Limbing is more likely to hit the ground where a fine edge would not hold up. I filed bright little grooves into the limbing side of my axe so I could see at a glance which side was which.

The use of double bitted axes is frowned upon nowadays due to their propensity for injury. Once when I was working in the woods, and perhaps not paying close attention, I managed to miss my mark and hit instead a springy vine that popped the axe back in my direction. Took a direct hit to my skull, right at the hairline. It sliced neatly through three layers of toque hat and laid open my scalp. Much blood. I immediately went home, where I pealed off my hat and then . . . was kinda scared to find out how damaged I was so I edged slowly into the mirror. Realized it wasn't as bad as it might have been, but it was still pretty unnerving. Called a friend to come sit with me, just in case. My wife came home a while later. Being a nurse, she was all about how I needed stitches, etc. By this time the blood flow had stopped. Medical care was something like an hour's drive--and you have to pay for that crap--so I declined. She taped it up. Had a scar for years, but doubt I could find it now.
I've got two replies for that one. The first is the danger part of the double. I used to throw doubles in competition. I started a throw and while the bit was still behind my back I heard a loud almost zipper like noise. I followed through on my throw then turned around and looked, nothing. Then my friend came over and grabbed my shirt. I don't know if I let the bit get that close to my back, or if the wind puffed up the shirt, but it looked like a razor sliced the shirt from mid back to shoulder. The other was I was feeding brush in our 16" chipper on a lot job, with about 15 people dragging brush to me. Every now and then I had to trim a piece up to get it to feed, I either had an XL 12 or a Super EZ. I trimmed a piece and turned and stepped over a log, and stuck my leg in the still spinning chain. It didn't hurt, I really didn't feel the cut. What I felt was the chain grabbing my blue jeans and twisting them up. I went back to work feeding the chipper. When the brush pile ran out and it was time to move the truck, I took a step and my left boot was full of blood. I was too afraid to tell my Dad about it, I don't think I ever did. When I get a tan you can see a scar about half an inch wide and three inches long.

Back