Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I completely disagree with your first line. One the calculator thing, probably true for most. However being a diesel fan it’s completely worth it for what they offer. Last line, are you a yota fan and own them? I do and engage in other forums. People hate the 3.5 taco, high redline, low torque, most miss the 4.0. The 4.0 which is in my t4r is a great but old engine, decent power for a heavy truck but gets sub par fuel mileage for most. I actually think it’s pretty decent for the capability of the rig, not many today can match or beat it (capability wise). I’d much rather have a torquey diesel that put down 25 mpgs or better. Then you have the legendary 5.7 tundra, still holding close with power output but again fuel mileage isn’t good. Looks like they’re gonna fix that with the new turbo v6. Traditional v8 guys will hate it for the same reasons I mentioned earlier. It’s not Toyota won’t do it because people love their gas engines, it’s simply our emissions standards suck and yota is big into the hybrid game.
I own a 4-Runner with a 4.0L and I had one prior to that with a 3.4L. Both have been solid, reliable vehicles that didn't set the bar on gas mileage or performance, but that isn't their claim to fame. My neighbor has a 5.7L Tundra and my Hemi Ram will pull it backwards while getting better gas mileage.

I own a 4-Runner with a 4.0L and I had one prior to that with a 3.4L. Both have been solid, reliable vehicles that didn't set the bar on gas mileage or performance, but that isn't their claim to fame. My neighbor has a 5.7L Tundra and my Hemi Ram will pull it backwards while getting better gas mileage.
A yota guy that owns a hemi ram!? You’ve lost any credibility you had. If you did tie the two together and display which one has better traction in the dragging contest, How long did that last? That p.o.s. Dodge ain’t gonna last long and the 5.7 tundra will drag you for the next 500k. The only thing that dodge will pull is the repair mechanic all the way to the bank.

A yota guy that owns a hemi ram!? You’ve lost any credibility you had. If you did tie the two together and display which one has better traction in the dragging contest, How long did that last? That p.o.s. Dodge ain’t gonna last long and the 5.7 tundra will drag you for the next 500k. The only thing that dodge will pull is the repair mechanic all the way to the bank.
I don't buy the brand. When the right deal comes up on a used vehicle, I buy it, and don't usually care who's emblem is on it . For some odd reason, they never seem to be Ford.

Here's my take on diesel light duty trucks.
I'll start by saying that I love driving and towing with diesels. I love the way they sound and push a 7k pound truck.
That being said, the numbers don't work out for my practical side. When you factor price of entry, cost of maintenance, more expensive fuel and the potential for very expensive repairs down the road I just can't justify it. It would be different if I were making money with it or towing 10k lb trailers all the time.
I can do everything I need to do with a one ton gasser. Will it suck gas, yes. Will it slow down going up a steep hill with a heavy trailer, yes. Will I be able to tow a 15k lb. trailer at 80 mph, no. It will get everything done that I need it to for less money.
To each their own but I believe most diesel truck owners could do everything they do with a gas truck for less money.

What’s the weight when loaded?

I’ve never seen a factory diesel in a ranger that was built here and my family has owned 10 of them over the years. I bought my uncles 97 2 years ago and would love to swap a 4bt Cummins in it. A few have been done, one made mid 200s hp and almost 600 lb ft of twist. Tell me that wouldn’t be a blast to drive in a reg cab short bed 97 4x4!

speaking of sipping fuel, I mow with my JD 1025r, I filled it up before I started the other day. It wouldn’t take the last gallon in the jug. I went to top it off afterwards and it only took about a 1/2 gallon after running 3200 rpm mowing for an hour. My previous cub cadet had a 23hp kaw engine and a 3 gallon tank, I could cut the yard about 1.5 times before refilling. Huge difference!
There's a guy around my parts that did a 4bt swap in a ranger. It was no small task. Actually he was the second owner of it as the first guy got sick of sinking money in it. Drive train wise, nothing is stock. Nv4500 and dodge t case, custom springs up front, custom Drive shafts, and the part that killed me was the 4 inch body lift to clear the engine. Took him a few years to get it sorted till it worked right and was reliable. I'm 90% sure he had said something about swapping a heavier rear from a v8 explorer in it as well. Cool in concept but there are better enginse suited for that size of vehicle. The cummins r2.8 comes to mind immediately, as well as a 4tnv yanmar. Actually a bigger kubota may work decently as well. It is a really cool little truck, but not worth the effort when you can drop it straight in a half ton and not have to go through all the crap he did to get it to work. I've considered it a few times for my expedition but the cost of a nice used 4bt holds me back. Almost as expensive as a 6bt and makes way less power and doesn't have nearly the after market support as the 6bt does. To put it bluntly better not be squeamish of the conversion parts cost. When I did my 12valve swap in my 79f350 half the cost was getting the driveline to mesh properly. $2k for a nv4500 to grenade it after 200 miles. Few driveshafts till I got a combo that worked. Heck a 241dhd t case set me back $1500. Then a cool $1800 for a twin dusk clutch to hold up to it. Gets expensive really quick.
Here's my take on diesel light duty trucks.
I'll start by saying that I love driving and towing with diesels. I love the way they sound and push a 7k pound truck.
That being said, the numbers don't work out for my practical side. When you factor price of entry, cost of maintenance, more expensive fuel and the potential for very expensive repairs down the road I just can't justify it. It would be different if I were making money with it or towing 10k lb trailers all the time.
I can do everything I need to do with a one ton gasser. Will it suck gas, yes. Will it slow down going up a steep hill with a heavy trailer, yes. Will I be able to tow a 15k lb. trailer at 80 mph, no. It will get everything done that I need it to for less money.
To each their own but I believe most diesel truck owners could do everything they do with a gas truck for less money.
So here's my perspective coming from a guy thats owned or driven most ford and dodge diesels, as well as small and big blocks. Dodge sucks save the cummins. And the trucks themselves suck. Ford never made a good small block for towing untill recently, the 5.4 and 6.8 were and are turds. The 6.4l was the worst diesel Ford ever released, and showed when they dropped it after a few years. Can't say I even want to tow with anything small block hence why I still have my 460. It doesn't pull like a diesel but I don't have issues dragging 15k up a hill either. I'd much rather have the diesel. All costs side by sade the big block has been cheaper on everything save gas. 7mpg when towing heavy and 10 when empty closes the gap pretty fast, coupled when I'm done with a vehicle it's ready for the scrap yard. My current 460 has 190k on the clock and I doubt it will get close to 300k like my cummins surpassed years ago still running just fine. Heck when I pulled it apart to go over and o ring the heads before I stuffed it in my 79 we ended up reusing just about every thing save bearings and ring. It had basically no wear. Mains were spot on, rods were perfect, bore was great, pistons were good, crank was good, no cam wear. The oil pump speed out good but was cheap insurance to toss a new unit in, Heck it still had the original water pump and oil cooler from 94. If I want in search of big power it would still be together running just how it did before it got tore down. I was very impressed with it, and it didn't have an easy life before I got it. I'd easily go back if I could afford another truck with a diesel in it, but they cost stupid money just to buy. For now the big block works fine till I can afford a newer diesel. I'd buy a 6.7l Ford in a heart beat if I had the money on hand. Don't even think I'd modify it, they run great from the factory.

What’s the weight when loaded?

I’ve never seen a factory diesel in a ranger that was built here and my family has owned 10 of them over the years. I bought my uncles 97 2 years ago and would love to swap a 4bt Cummins in it. A few have been done, one made mid 200s hp and almost 600 lb ft of twist. Tell me that wouldn’t be a blast to drive in a reg cab short bed 97 4x4!

speaking of sipping fuel, I mow with my JD 1025r, I filled it up before I started the other day. It wouldn’t take the last gallon in the jug. I went to top it off afterwards and it only took about a 1/2 gallon after running 3200 rpm mowing for an hour. My previous cub cadet had a 23hp kaw engine and a 3 gallon tank, I could cut the yard about 1.5 times before refilling. Huge difference!
Oh forgot about the factory ford ranger diesels here's a link to a decent article about them. I really wish I could get my hands on one.
https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/1983-1987-ford-ranger-2-2-2-3-diesels/

There's a guy around my parts that did a 4bt swap in a ranger. It was no small task. Actually he was the second owner of it as the first guy got sick of sinking money in it. Drive train wise, nothing is stock. Nv4500 and dodge t case, custom springs up front, custom Drive shafts, and the part that killed me was the 4 inch body lift to clear the engine. Took him a few years to get it sorted till it worked right and was reliable. I'm 90% sure he had said something about swapping a heavier rear from a v8 explorer in it as well. Cool in concept but there are better enginse suited for that size of vehicle. The cummins r2.8 comes to mind immediately, as well as a 4tnv yanmar. Actually a bigger kubota may work decently as well. It is a really cool little truck, but not worth the effort when you can drop it straight in a half ton and not have to go through all the crap he did to get it to work. I've considered it a few times for my expedition but the cost of a nice used 4bt holds me back. Almost as expensive as a 6bt and makes way less power and doesn't have nearly the after market support as the 6bt does. To put it bluntly better not be squeamish of the conversion parts cost. When I did my 12valve swap in my 79f350 half the cost was getting the driveline to mesh properly. $2k for a nv4500 to grenade it after 200 miles. Few driveshafts till I got a combo that worked. Heck a 241dhd t case set me back $1500. Then a cool $1800 for a twin dusk clutch to hold up to it. Gets expensive really quick.

So here's my perspective coming from a guy thats owned or driven most ford and dodge diesels, as well as small and big blocks. Dodge sucks save the cummins. And the trucks themselves suck. Ford never made a good small block for towing untill recently, the 5.4 and 6.8 were and are turds. The 6.4l was the worst diesel Ford ever released, and showed when they dropped it after a few years. Can't say I even want to tow with anything small block hence why I still have my 460. It doesn't pull like a diesel but I don't have issues dragging 15k up a hill either. I'd much rather have the diesel. All costs side by sade the big block has been cheaper on everything save gas. 7mpg when towing heavy and 10 when empty closes the gap pretty fast, coupled when I'm done with a vehicle it's ready for the scrap yard. My current 460 has 190k on the clock and I doubt it will get close to 300k like my cummins surpassed years ago still running just fine. Heck when I pulled it apart to go over and o ring the heads before I stuffed it in my 79 we ended up reusing just about every thing save bearings and ring. It had basically no wear. Mains were spot on, rods were perfect, bore was great, pistons were good, crank was good, no cam wear. The oil pump speed out good but was cheap insurance to toss a new unit in, Heck it still had the original water pump and oil cooler from 94. If I want in search of big power it would still be together running just how it did before it got tore down. I was very impressed with it, and it didn't have an easy life before I got it. I'd easily go back if I could afford another truck with a diesel in it, but they cost stupid money just to buy. For now the big block works fine till I can afford a newer diesel. I'd buy a 6.7l Ford in a heart beat if I had the money on hand. Don't even think I'd modify it, they run great from the factory.
Those 460s are tough engines. I also am a fan of the old 6BTs. Too bad the trucks were terrible.

The other day I saw a 05ish F-350 with a Cummins emblem on it. The funny thing is it had a sticker under the emblem that said "FIXED!" :laugh:

I've kicked around picking up a 03-05 Silverado with a Duramax from down south. Problem is you still have to shell out over 10k for a high mileage truck that's damn near 20 years old. Up here in Wisconsin it'll still rot away in 5 years. I'm still rocking a 06 Chevy 3500 Express with a 6.0 and 4L80E. It has 260k on it but she still gets the job done. After it dissolves into a pile of iron oxide I'll probably end up getting a 2020ish 3500 Express with a 6.6 gas and convert it to 4wd. It'd be perfect for my western bird hunting trips.

The biggest problem I have with the diesels for me is I only put on 6k miles a year on my van. I drive a 14 Malibu every day. If I'd put on over 15k a year I'd probably consider it more.

But the original diesels in passenger vehicles were junk....remember the Oldsmobile station wagons with the 350 gasser engine converted to diesel could hardly manage freeway speeds.
I drove a 84 4 door Malibu with a 350 Olds diesel through high school. It got decent mileage. It wasn't particularly fast but it could do a nice brake stand if you started spinning one rear tire on the gravel first and then crept up on the blacktop. I had a cherry bomb muffler on it for the heck of it. In winter I had to make sure to park next to a outlet at school so I could plug it in. I had fun with it.

Those 460s are tough engines. I also am a fan of the old 6BTs. Too bad the trucks were terrible.

The other day I saw a 05ish F-350 with a Cummins emblem on it. The funny thing is it had a sticker under the emblem that said "FIXED!" :laugh:

I've kicked around picking up a 03-05 Silverado with a Duramax from down south. Problem is you still have to shell out over 10k for a high mileage truck that's damn near 20 years old. Up here in Wisconsin it'll still rot away in 5 years. I'm still rocking a 06 Chevy 3500 Express with a 6.0 and 4L80E. It has 260k on it but she still gets the job done. After it dissolves into a pile of iron oxide I'll probably end up getting a 2020ish 3500 Express with a 6.6 gas and convert it to 4wd. It'd be perfect for my western bird hunting trips.

The biggest problem I have with the diesels for me is I only put on 6k miles a year on my van. I drive a 14 Malibu every day. If I'd put on over 15k a year I'd probably consider it more.
I can appreciate that thought process. The last 2 years between switching jobs and having my son, I haven't been using the truck near as much. I actually haven't pit more then 5k miles on it in the past 2 years. Hard to justify the purchase of a newer truck when my 96 works just fine, and the longest trip I've taken recently in it was to see farmer Steve. (Great guy btw) the next truck I will be getting a 1 ton duelly.

I drove a 84 4 door Malibu with a 350 Olds diesel through high school. It got decent mileage. It wasn't particularly fast but it could do a nice brake stand if you started spinning one rear tire on the gravel first and then crept up on the blacktop. I had a cherry bomb muffler on it for the heck of it. In winter I had to make sure to park next to a outlet at school so I could plug it in. I had fun with it.
If you tinkered with the timing and injection pump you could get them to run super smooth. Deffinatly not powerful by any standard and had lots of issues, but they were pretty cool for what they were.

If you tinkered with the timing and injection pump you could get them to run super smooth. Deffinatly not powerful by any standard and had lots of issues, but they were pretty cool for what they were.
We had the injection pump rebuilt and we replaced the nozzles and bumped up the injection timing a couple degrees. It never failed me except the time I was too lazy to add anti-gel when I filled it up once. Temp dropped the next day and she promptly gelled up and stalled on the way to school. Lesson learned!

I dont think I would buy a diesel again. Have no need for it as I dont tow heavy all that much anymore . But I'm not about to let go of my 07 5.9 CTD I've done 1 rebuild on the trans at 135k it now has over 200k and I replaced the water pump and few fuel lines on the engine that’s it . But in all reality a 6 cyl gas job can pull heavy to if mated to the right transmission and rear . No your not going to cruise at 60mph uphile pulling 12k but it will still do the job . My little 250 68 Chevy stepside with a 4 spd granny gear and 4:57 rear will pull a house down but at 5mph and reving at red line .

But I do like pulling heavy wood think I was over the GCVWR when I did this run as put three 6 footers in the bed too. This load was red next one was white oak. I know the trailer was about 1k over as the crane operator told me the weights after they were in EC16D833-A564-4DF1-8113-CCE328D985A9.jpeg

I dont think I would buy a diesel again. Have no need for it as I dont tow heavy all that much anymore . But I'm not about to let go of my 07 5.9 CTD I've done 1 rebuild on the trans at 135k it now has over 200k and I replaced the water pump and few fuel lines on the engine that’s it . But in all reality a 6 cyl gas job can pull heavy to if mated to the right transmission and rear . No your not going to cruise at 60mph uphile pulling 12k but it will still do the job . My little 250 68 Chevy stepside with a 4 spd granny gear and 4:57 rear will pull a house down but at 5mph and reving at red line .

But I do like pulling heavy wood View attachment 921291
Trucks at Carlisle this coming weekend. Got my nephew pumped when we went to the Ford show so we are going to this. Told the boss I might need the checkbook in case I see a Cheby '55 1st series panel truck. :innocent:

@sean donato I’d never do a 4bt swap, just seen a few and thought it was cool. The easy swap is to find a whole parts truck v8 explorer or mountaineer. That’s a direct and straight forward swap. The reason they swap the expo rear in is it’s 31 spline vs 28 in the ranger, axle tubes are slightly bigger, disc brakes and most if not all have the factory lsd. Spring perches are different so they need to be cut off and welded back on in different spot.

The only swap I’m doing with the ranger is swapping it for a Tacoma lol. I’ve already done tires, clutch and all the brake lines. It still has some drivetrain slop, thinking rear or transfer case, needs the bench seat rebuild and I think it has a small for now head gasket leak. Good ole 3.0 Vulcan, Terrible motor.

Trucks at Carlisle this coming weekend. Got my nephew pumped when we went to the Ford show so we are going to this. Told the boss I might need the checkbook in case I see a Cheby '55 1st series panel truck. :innocent:
I'm going out too . I have three vedor spots C40-41-42 stop by I'll be in and out of the spots during the day . 99% sure I'll be taking the yellow truck20210110_170027.jpg

@sean donato I’d never do a 4bt swap, just seen a few and thought it was cool. The easy swap is to find a whole parts truck v8 explorer or mountaineer. That’s a direct and straight forward swap. The reason they swap the expo rear in is it’s 31 spline vs 28 in the ranger, axle tubes are slightly bigger, disc brakes and most if not all have the factory lsd. Spring perches are different so they need to be cut off and welded back on in different spot.

The only swap I’m doing with the ranger is swapping it for a Tacoma lol. I’ve already done tires, clutch and all the brake lines. It still has some drivetrain slop, thinking rear or transfer case, needs the bench seat rebuild and I think it has a small for now head gasket leak. Good ole 3.0 Vulcan, Terrible motor.
I just welded a new cover on the taco's rear diff . Started getting gearoil running down it . Had lots of pin holes in it. But it does have over 200k and it my primary winter truck 3420CCA8-6F93-4151-8848-16AD5D0A00F7.jpeg5F51AA3C-8712-4C0E-A8D5-30822A802899.jpeg

Back