Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If any of you guys have a metal detector . . . I could retrieve the castle nut . . . I know exactly where it fell but not exactly where it's at lol . . .
Just wave a running chainsaw with a freshly sharpened chain over the area - you will find it!

Phbert

Any idea what this tree is? I looked through my books but I can't identify it, although it looks familiar from my childhood. Kind of looks like the bark from a dogwood, but it's decent sized tree. Part of it is down already as you can see in the pictures, but I'm not going to take the rest of it down if it isn't any good for burning.

75847469d1148f8becec76f1caddedbe.jpg

3c968fd9004218bff0a6b05ccf397be1.jpg

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Don't have a clue but I'm going with cherry.

Any idea what this tree is? I looked through my books but I can't identify it, although it looks familiar from my childhood. Kind of looks like the bark from a dogwood, but it's decent sized tree. Part of it is down already as you can see in the pictures, but I'm not going to take the rest of it down if it isn't any good for burning.

And Cherry again for the trifecta. Good burning, prone to decay so it won't last as long in an outdoor woodpile.

Managed to grab another load yesterday and drop the small pine the power company left. Going to invite a buddy to come take some as I don't have room for it all.View attachment 562992
there's always room for more wood. just stack a little higher.:rolleyes:
a2f52ee5aaad94c068a98f8103911cac.jpg

Scrounge I got thanks to the Aspludghhh (spelling? lol) tree service the power company employs...standing dead oak, right across the street from me (empty lot). A few more that they left instead of chipping remain for me to snag this week:

IMG_5742.JPG

Also, more pics (full build pics) to follow in the "woodpile/splitting area" thread, but a teaser of my newly completed woodshed- 8' deep by roughly 16' wide (8 pallet floor), already getting loaded with oak for next year:
IMG_5730.JPG
IMG_5728.JPG

Lastly, a newly built saw shelf to keep all of my fine machines together:
IMG_5691.JPG

Starting to work on my home scrounge today. Finally most of the snow is gone and the ground is starting to firm up a bit. This wood is from a tree that a tree service dropped at the end of December. Fighting a cold for a couple of weeks so I don't have the stamina to do a lot at a time yet. I was able to put 2 tanks of gas thru my 192t. More work to do as the weather improves. Good thing I am retired.
DSC02049.JPG

got a little time on the old troybuilt splitter today in between the rain sprinkles. worked on the locust and some hickory from last weeks scrounge. pics are for @dancan. :rolleyes:the bin is locust and oak. dry enough if i need it yet this season. in the bucket is hickory for next year.
20170307_145610_resized.jpg 20170307_145534_resized.jpg

"Hand splitting" sweetgum with the zoginator. That's right, use my hands, pick it up when running, then apply the appropriate with the grain splitting action! HAHAHAHA One big round, equaled these "splits" and a wheelbarrow of cluckeraptor containment compound floor covering. Next pic is graphic why it took so long to cut up the main oakzilla chunk. Just lookit all those bluish stains and some of the mambo wire embedded in it. Most was rusted to not much, but this came popping out after some isocore, sledge and wedge work. Found some nails so far as well.IMG_20170305_150619.jpg IMG_20170305_175308.jpg

"Hand splitting" sweetgum with the zoginator. That's right, use my hands, pick it up when running, then apply the appropriate with the grain splitting action! HAHAHAHA One big round, equaled these "splits" and a wheelbarrow of cluckeraptor containment compound floor covering. Next pic is graphic why it took so long to cut up the main oakzilla chunk. Just lookit all those bluish stains and some of the mambo wire embedded in it. Most was rusted to not much, but this came popping out after some isocore, sledge and wedge work. Found some nails so far as well.View attachment 563150 View attachment 563152
Looking good friend!

I'm carrying your pocket knife every day, has helped me out several times already.

That is Black Cherry

Back