Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds almost as long lasting as our native English Oak then.

I'm quite happy I'll only get to run the saw in a few branches, a stihl ms180 with safety chain may struggle in big stuff to be honest! Cross your fingers for straight grain.... It's me and the x27, no hydraulic assistant here

He has confirmed Robinia, and says it's half dead standing too. How long to season? I'd normally season oak 3 years in our climate. 2018/19 pile for this?
sounds like a good score.Neil. if it is black locust it's great stuff. get all you can. my 85 year old father cuts lots of it with his MS 180. here's one i just cut a few weeks ago dead standing and ready to burn.
20170228_142119_resized.jpg 20170228_142127_resized.jpg

Sounds almost as long lasting as our native English Oak then.

I'm quite happy I'll only get to run the saw in a few branches, a stihl ms180 with safety chain may struggle in big stuff to be honest! Cross your fingers for straight grain.... It's me and the x27, no hydraulic assistant here

He has confirmed Robinia, and says it's half dead standing too. How long to season? I'd normally season oak 3 years in our climate. 2018/19 pile for this?
Get a full chisel chain. That little saw may surprise you

G'day troops,

Wandered out to the farm yesterday. Twas a nice sunny morning. I filled the trailer with small blue gum splits and stacked them in the wood shed for the Lady Farmer. Then I still had a fair bit to do on the downed peppermint.

29th Mar 4.jpg

The 460 is loving peppermints at the moment. By the time I had cut enough to fill the trailer again, I was down to just the largest of the trunks after what was a three way fork.

29th Mar 1.jpg

I then went back over to the blue gum and split a few rounds more blue gum in the time that I had left, which was slow going, as usual. Loaded up serenity shot.

29th Mar 3.jpg

The lower section of the blue gum trunk is not completely dry so I was making skinny splits then stacking them up to help them dry a bit more.

29th Mar 2.jpg

:)

It will be one of the hardest, most rot resistant, and best burning wood you have ever seen.

If you need any fence posts, etc, this is the stuff to use. It does not last forever, but it generally last about one day longer than stone!

I just feel sorry for ya that you don't get to run the saw!!!!

ive had the chance to cut on some big black locust trees and im hooked on it. i am making our dinner table out of one all by hand (except the chainsaw mill). The entire tabletop was cut from just one lobe of this tree. the lobe was 16" wide. The tree was 34 dbh. IMG_6008.JPGIMG_6007.JPGIMG_6009.JPG

@Picaso you are quite the artist! I am assuming theses boards will need to be dried for some time first but please keep us updated on your table progress!

The tabletop was not so much the issue with drying.. it was the solid 5" x 5" locust legs! Since then I cut them down to 4" x 4". Try ripping down legs like that with your handsaws boys.. it's a test of will (and sharpness!)

ive had the chance to cut on some big black locust trees and im hooked on it. i am making our dinner table out of one all by hand (except the chainsaw mill). The entire tabletop was cut from just one lobe of this tree. the lobe was 16" wide. The tree was 34 dbh. View attachment 569109View attachment 569110View attachment 569111
That's awesome, nice locust :sweet:.
That's a huge locust tree, do you get a lot that size down there.
Also please return my wheel chock :laugh:.

After talking with a few scrounging wood thread "members" this week I figured I was overdue for a stop in here.
I hope everyone is doing great. I'll post a few pictures later.
Have a good day guys.

@Picaso you are quite the artist! I am assuming theses boards will need to be dried for some time first but please keep us updated on your table progress!
What's up Steve.
Locust is pretty heavy wood, but has a low water content and dries quite fast.
Did you get that saw sold yet, very tempting :yes:, must resist :omg:.

Well, I don't have as much scrounging experience as many of youse guys, but this was a new one on me. Spring has sprung down here in Georgia, with afternoon temps in the 80s the last two days and a fair bit of rain sprinkled in here and there, so things are leafing out quickly. Today walking by the wood stacks, this willow round I hadn't yet split that came from a storm damaged tree I took down about four months ago on my property caught my eye. It has sprouted limbs, and now has leaves growing off those limbs. I guess it's not dry enough to burn yet...

Attachments

• IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 41
View attachment 569112 been getting some of the wood from the log pile split up and out of the way as the developer is clearing another 20' into the woods so there will be another pile soon. Walnut in the front Ash in the background.

Beautiful straight grain on that walnut, must be fun splitting. I like the sharp delineation of the heartwood and sapwood as well.

not the best quality here but free is free! 5 nice loads of mixed popple, pine and a little white birch. total cost for retrieving it was 6 gallons of gas at 2.29 a gal. and my priceless time. 8 miles away 16 for a round trip and enough to keep the frost of the wood stove this winter.001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

What's up Steve.
Locust is pretty heavy wood, but has a low water content and dries quite fast.
Did you get that saw sold yet, very tempting :yes:, must resist :omg:.
Saw sold last night. I was playing basketball in a men's league and when I got back home I had messsages from two guys just minutes apart wanting it.

Now that I watch the video again I regret selling it lol.

Need to remind myself I have six saws on the bench plus two more local ones I want to buy.

best part of it is I didn't even start my saw. it was from last years storm and no one wanted it ? so its as good as gold for free to me!
Heck yeah. Nearly pure profit on that!

I notice Steve and Joy must have split up that last tree I didn't get last year. Not that I really needed more aspen anyhow lol.

Latest posts

Back