Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like elm? looks like your close to lake michigan. :crazy2:

The stuff in the foreground is ash. Been dead standing for going on 10 years probably when I got a hold of it and started processing.

The stuff in the bin in the background is mostly Oak.

That lake is from last winter. When it rained all winter. And never froze.

Storm ripped through NH last Sunday, winds up to 70 MPH. Lost power for around 13 hours. As of this morning 50 thousand still have no power. I'm going to post some pics of downed trees in my area & then I'll do another post with the oak tree I managed to scrounge today. download_20171030_170307.jpgdownload_20171030_170442.jpgdownload_20171030_171031.jpgdownload_20171030_171357.jpgdownload_20171030_173851.jpgdownload_20171030_191136.jpgdownload_20171030_191218.jpg

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

I just couldn't bring myself to turn all this beautiful hard wood into fire pit wood... The bin in the background is full and Ive got 4 tote frames full of shorts as well..

a8091ca336069b18bc3b47ba8ee25d2d.jpg
Last year was the first year I ever burned some of my shorts and ugly's. We have a big canvas bag to bring wood in. I had just emptied the woodshed by the house. I was getting ready to start filling it back up, and saw my wife had thrown all the scraps in the canvas tote. The house was closer than the fire pit so I took them in. They worked fine. I've just got to modify my thought process since I retired. When I was working I only wanted wood exactly 18" so I could pack the stove tight and get a 12 hour burn, now it doesn't matter, Joe.

I have no "Uglies" but the odd shaped and shorts go in garbage buckets that I've scrounged over the years from windstorms and the sides of the roads , I'll drill some holes in the bottoms so they won't fill with water .
My furnace turns every thing into beauties :)

I have no "Uglies" but the odd shaped and shorts go in garbage buckets that I've scrounged over the years from windstorms and the sides of the roads , I'll drill some holes in the bottoms so they won't fill with water .
My furnace turns every thing into OAK :)
:laugh::laugh:

Hey, my Hyundai Tucson can haul just as much wood as any puck-up truck.... I just need to make a few more trips.
I get most of my wood in a Ford Focus [emoji16] I drive a ton for work and keep a saw in my car always. I look for smaller standing dead or freshly fallen Ash.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Same. First fire of the year, I usually have to dig down a bit to find something I can split up as kindling cause the top is all uglies. Some of those uglies make for good overnighters.
Scrounge a load of pallets and cut them up. Nails and all. I stack it in the garage to keep it super dry and use that to split down to kindling. Coals in the stove turn into a roaring box of fire rite quick with that under cordwood.

You guys stink, I try to tell myself that the 262xp, 362xp (big bore), 55 closed port, 136 Husqvarnas 020, 015, Stihl and a couple of poulan "loaners" is enough saws. But I start hanging around you guys and now I again have a another saw on the bench getting assembled. 365 Husky.... Its a basket case, needs a total rebuild and is missing a few pieces, but hey.. that's half the fun. Not sure if I want to leave it 365 or go big bore with it too. The top end is clean, its the bottom end that needs the love, and the previous owner was picking pieces off of it to keep his 372 and 371 Huskys going...

Whats crazy is I downsized my collection a LOT, and now reading them all..... Maybe I have too many saws, NAH......

Saturday is firearms deer opener up here. Going to try and scrounge up a buck this weekend.

My old go-to stand site is now a skid road so my FIL will be in a ground blind there. I'll be in another spot that prior to logging had become unhuntable because the brush had grown up so much. It's now in a potentially fabulous spot but time will tell.

Going to hang my nicer portable tomorrow in another promising spot.

Back