Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have several inches of snow on the ground and more expected tomorrow night into Saturday morning. Low of 9 next Tuesday will keep the deer moving.

Only bugger is full moon is Saturday which means the deer's peak movement will be mid day. I like to hunt hard in the morning/afternoon and go take a mid day break at the cabin which I can't do during full moon.

Depending on hunting pressure, I have found mid day to be successful. I’d sneak into the stand at dark thirty and sit until I couldn’t take it anymore, usually around 9 or so. Then I’d slip back to the truck for a nap and back out at noon for a bit and sometimes I wouldn’t have to hunt the afternoon shift.

Good Luck with the hunting everyone. Most of NY is the 18th also, but I will be out with the bow & cross bow before then.

Matt, you have some nice saws, but I may let you run some of my big stuff in the big stuff on Sat, just to wet your appetite. Going to see Dr Al tomorrow to operate on my 660 (will be a big bore with 395 Husky piston). I'm expecting it to run darn well!

You guys stink, I try to tell myself that the 262xp, 362xp (big bore), 55 closed port, 136 Husqvarnas 020, 015, Stihl and a couple of poulan "loaners" is enough saws. But I start hanging around you guys and now I again have a another saw on the bench getting assembled. 365 Husky.... Its a basket case, needs a total rebuild and is missing a few pieces, but hey.. that's half the fun. Not sure if I want to leave it 365 or go big bore with it too. The top end is clean, its the bottom end that needs the love, and the previous owner was picking pieces off of it to keep his 372 and 371 Huskys going...

Whats crazy is I downsized my collection a LOT, and now reading them all..... Maybe I have too many saws, NAH......
I have three saws in my car that are going to get test cut videos taken as soon as I get a deer and probably 3-5 more going out the door after that. I'm fixing to build 3 Husky 55's and a L77 over the winter and Carl is going to be building a little sweetheart for me too. No sense hanging onto saws that aren't going to get used.

Rolled into my hunting cabin at about quarter to midnight. Right out from my neighbor's driveway was a balsam tipped over the road. They are up for the weekend and had driven their wheelers around it which is typical form for them to leave trees where they lay for someone else to clear. I'm sure they didn't appreciate the mountain music coming out of my muffler modded Echo at that time of night, but they had the chance to solve the problem in daylight and chose not to.

I get most of my wood in a Ford Focus [emoji16] I drive a ton for work and keep a saw in my car always. I look for smaller standing dead or freshly fallen Ash.

I think we all start out that way, stuffing as much wood into the back of cars as they can hold without the wheels falling off or needing to wind the windows down so you can have logs sticking out. Or at least not out the driver's side. Or at least not far.

But you get slack after a while. Why, I know a guy who started out filling a UTV so full of scrounged spruce that the tow hitch was dragging. But then something must have happened to him because he lost the hardcore edge of the true scrounger. Went and got a pickup truck and a dump trailer and the ultimate spruce saw (a Ryobi) and he's using Bobcats and mini-cranes and so forth and now it's just so far removed from the early days that I'm going to have to check to see if it's still classified as scrounging.

The smaller the scrounge vehicle, the more committed the scrounger must be I reckon. I dips me lid to you, sir :bowdown:.

Scrounged up some meat for the freezer last weekend View attachment 610384great time hunting the area where I grew up with my son, he shot this one first View attachment 610385 then mine ran out. Haven’t hunted that area for over 20 years, sure was nice to be back, good luck hunting everyone!
congrats to you and your son Nate. :numberone: didn't know you had whitetails in Ideeho. headin to the treestand in a few. temps up to 70* today but the bucks are ruttin strong.

congrats to you and your son Nate. :numberone: didn't know you had whitetails in Ideeho. headin to the treestand in a few. temps up to 70* today but the bucks are ruttin strong.
Thanks Steve, yep whitetails and mulies both here. Hope ya get a big one.

I have the Husqvarna versions of those in 3 sizes. They work good, dont watch the wranglerstar vid on those. He used it on skip instead of full comp.

What's the husky one called? I've not seen it. I've seen the Pferd csx, identical to the stihl but with blue handles (I'm guess stihl have some sort of arrangement with Pferd as the tool is the same)

I have used the husky version, but didnt like it. You have to flip the file to swap sides where as with the sthil, you just flip the whole rig. Just easier and faster.
That was the 'old' Pferd version (Chain Sharp - about $30):
Screen shot 2017-11-03 at 11.13.33 AM.png
'New' version (CHAIN SHARP CS-X - about $40):

Screen shot 2017-11-03 at 11.13.15 AM.png

Philbert

Back