Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Benp you ever hear the story of "The Red Thorn"?? I was a Dolmar that Eric had to "fix". He sure can build a quick saw.

Uncle Mike, didn't seem like it was 85% Hickory we were cutting?? The maple was SOOOO soft, the Ash soft, and that dang Hickory..... Man that was some tough stuff.

Did some sawing around my place this morning, got a question....... How small do you guys cut too? I mean when bucking rounds out of the tops?? In years past, I was a wood snob and would just drag the stick out the woods with the tractor and then do all the work near the splitter. This year, the standing dead ash has pretty well been groomed, so I've actually chopped up a few tops. How small around do you guys stop????

Eric is a super good dude. He was more than gracious to this freak out something not going right flunky when something was squirrelly.

If it is not fore arm diameter then it stays for me.

I just figure you have to draw a line. That's how I have been with all scrounging.

IMO, the 044/440 is far different from the 046/460. 044s are noticeably lighter and well suited to being and all around saws with a 20" bar, while 460s are more suited to felling and bucking and larger bars.

The 7900 is much closer in weight and displacement to the 460. In my mind, 80 cc is 75-85.

View attachment 610943 My helper, this little girl loves to help me.

Awesome!!!!!! she is going to kick you in the nuts some day for that picture. Literally.

Just a heads up. Good on you for having kids that don't mind work like that.
IMO, the 044/440 is far different from the 046/460. 044s are noticeably lighter and well suited to being and all around saws with a 20" bar, while 460s are more suited to felling and bucking and larger bars.

The 7900 is much closer in weight and displacement to the 460. In my mind, 80 cc is 75-85.

I guess I have never even considered a 70cc saw running a 20" bar. I have always felt 70cc was 24" on up. No real logic in that to me since a 60cc saw will command a 20" bar.

I cut right on down to wrist size wood and I have skinny arms. lol. Hate to see the wood rot and it’s nice to have the smalls to start a fire. I split a lot of the 3-4 inch stuff for that reason.
I have a 20” bar on my 460. Might get a longer one some day but honestly, most wood I get isn’t that big. I can cut almost 30” from one side by over bucking. And what I can’t I cut from both sides.

Awesome!!!!!! she is going to kick you in the nuts some day for that picture. Literally.

Just a heads up. Good on you for having kids that don't mind work like that.

I guess I have never even considered a 70cc saw running a 20" bar. I have always felt 70cc was 24" on up. No real logic in that to me since a 60cc saw will command a 20" bar.
I normally run a 20 on my 395.

Since this thread is called 'Scrounging Firewood', I will confess to wood down to thumb size for kindling. A.K.A 'Zogger wood': cut it with some good, long-handled, loppers (compound, anvil style).

Of course, I am collecting 'opportunity wood' in the city for recreational burning, not feeding an OWB.

Anything I don't burn I have to haul to the compost site.

I have passed up a number of tree service companies working in the neighborhood recently, because I just do not have any more room to store the stuff.

Philbert

“Mike rolls in with 11 saws” is my favorite part! Glad to hear the young lads earned some respect. It’s satisfying to know a hard days work helps someone out who needs it. Congrats on the good day.
i don't know how many saws Mike had at the PA GTG but it was a Mustang full. :crazy2: i couldn't run them all because of my back but i know everyone else liked running them. he gets any more saws and he'll need one of these.
0406mm_pickup_03_z.jpg

You know, I have been thinking about the responses to "what diameter do you cut too" I gotta say, I have probably left cords of tops in the woods due to not wanting to "waste gas and time on little stuff" I think I'm gonna go pick up a pair of lopping shears, fiskars of course, and go in the back lot and drag out a couple trailer loads. I can give them to the twelve year old daughter and tell her to go to town. If the 8 year old was stronger, she'd do it all day just to make me proud.

Thanks, they are good girls. I bribe them with guns, fishing gear and four wheelers to keep them doing what I want.

What kind of wood do you cut out in MN? We have hard wood and I like a 20 on my 75cc saw, in the process of building another big bore kit Husky and will probably put a 28 on it for felling. But a 20 on the 75cc is like when Obi Won gives Luke Vaders old lightsaber....... CUTS THROUGH EVERYTHING.
I don't understand the 20 bar on a 90cc saw either, its like carrying around a 12in cinder block and getting little for it.
I have 136 with 14in 55CP with 16 and the 20's on the 262xp and 362xpBB. Every size covered and only use the little saws for bucking littler wood.

Thanks, they are good girls. I bribe them with guns, fishing gear and four wheelers to keep them doing what I want.

What kind of wood do you cut out in MN? We have hard wood and I like a 20 on my 75cc saw, in the process of building another big bore kit Husky and will probably put a 28 on it for felling. But a 20 on the 75cc is like when Obi Won gives Luke Vaders old lightsaber....... CUTS THROUGH EVERYTHING.
I don't understand the 20 bar on a 90cc saw either, its like carrying around a 12in cinder block and getting little for it.
I have 136 with 14in 55CP with 16 and the 20's on the 262xp and 362xpBB. Every size covered and only use the little saws for bucking littler wood.

If I had a family like yours the paychecks would be going to optics, reloading components, and long range classes for the girls. Sorry dear, no date night this friday, I bought the girls matching Schmit and Benders.

You have got yourself some good kids there. You are truly blessed.

Imo, If I was looking for a firewood saw a 562 with a 24" bar would be all I would ever need.

And I would run it with aggressive semi chisel.

The majority of wood we cut is sugar maple, tamarack , red maple, black ash, and red/white oak. None of it is an issue to cut unless it is bald with no bark.

Eta- I forgot about paper birch and popple.

I love me a ported 562xp. Bad bad saw....

My girls both have there own .22's and shot guns. 20ga for the older one and .410 for the little one. Both good shots, the older one drives me a bit crazy with her .22, its a 10/22 and she sure can squeeze that trigger fast. Little one watches "The Rifleman" on Saturday mornings, so naturally she has a Henry with the big loop. She conserved her ammo till my pops "showed her how its done" and now I think she tries to shoot like him and Lucas McCain....

Back