Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's where we sit right now. Tonight is the last night of extreme cold and it's going to be up to 38 by Tuesday.

Don't mind the inside temp, that's in the corner furthest away from the stove.
View attachment 611768
We are getting it now. Temperature is dropping like a toilet seat and snow is coming off the lake like crazy. Supposed to blow through quick and warm back up next week.

Today was very mild here, about 50 degrees when I got the deer (saw 49 in the car on the way home). Will go down to 30 tonight, then stay in low 30s tomorrow and teens the next two nights.

Got it hanging outside for now, but may put it in the garage the next two nights to keep the skin from freezing to the carcass, I hate when that happens!

Had to work on a project with the wife this morning ... fixed some broken cabinet hinges (you can't find replacements with the same pocket cuts) with Loctite PL Premium ... I love that stuff!

Then I got mad at myself for not having been out hunting yet this year. Don't think I have ever been this late in my entire life (since old enough to do it). So I searched through the shed and got my hunting clothes, boots, knives, range finder, etc., got the climbing tree stand down and the cross bow ready.

Was in my tree by 3:00, and by 4:15 a 4 point buck was on the ground. Watched it for 20 minutes before it gave me a good shot. I have never taken a deer in so little time in my life, and it was also my first deer with a cross bow. It is a CenterPoint 370 and I love it, made a 30 yard broadside shot seem almost too easy. I thought it was a 6 point, but no matter, the body is a decent size so we will have some venison in the freezer! Pressure is off, good thing, cause I still have people that want wood or splitting, or cutting, etc.

If I hunt more now, can only take a doe. On the 18th, I'll have 3 more weeks to take another buck.
good job Mike. i got my first crossbow buck last year. down here where you were at the GTG, antler restrictions require at least 3 points on one side.:(

Temps have dropped enough here that I've found the limit of an ickle 5kw stove in a poorly insulated house, and the gas central heating boiler is fired up. I feel kinda dirty. It's not that cold, 8-10C day time, 2-6 night time.... But damp as well and this is a typical between the wars house, draughty and not well insulated. Still, stove number 2 will get installed soon, so another 5kW of wood heat, when I can be bothered to feed 2 hungry stoves!

See now I dream of RH like that. Inside my house or varies between about 50 and 75 although usually it's in the range 55-65, top end of that in winter. Running the stove pulls it down several percent, maybe 5, which makes a big difference. The British Isles..... Clue in the name... Small bits of land surrounded by the Atlantic, it is always damp here

Got lucky yesterday on a 7pt. This is for mustangmike and svk. We have been burning lots of wood at camp it has been cold.
94eeeada216eb300f86c1b07af6dc32b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nomad, nice buck, congrats! Enjoy that venison.

FS - We have that darn antler restriction stuff up at my property in the Catskills. I'm basically a meat hunter, and would rather get a small buck every year than a large on ever 3 or 4 years. Plus, i got the nice size 8 pt last year where there is no antler restriction.

Also, the owner of the property I was on yesterday is contemplating retiring/moving, so I may not be able to return next year. However, he has been saying that for several years now. He works for BMW, and they don't want to let him go. It will not be a good day when I can no longer hunt this property. Over the last decade I have taken 3 bucks and several does from there. I have also taken deer from several other places during that time, but none as consistent as this place. I also like the specific tree I have been using. I seem to see many more deer in the late afternoon at this location, which is fine with me (most spots produce best in the morning), the wind almost always in light and in my face, and except off to my right, there are many opportunities for a clear shot. It is just easy to get to, and a good hunting spot. I had a better spot even closer to home, but the antis successfully pressured the owner into not letting me hunt there (they threatened to object to his sub division). I know from trail cams that the 8 pt I almost got there last year is now an 11 pt.

Can't get much of a better shot. 30 yds broadside, my first deer with the cross bow (CenterPoint 370), The exit hole looks like he was shot with a 50 cal!

I also love my Summit Climber with the shooting rail, makes it so much easier. Mine is one of the ones that folds flat. For some reason, they keep re introducing them, then discontinuing them, even though everyone I talk to wants one, and mine has operated flawlessly for years. They are very comfortable and secure. Very important to me since I have to over come a fear of heights (I have gotten a lot better). I also avoid smooth bark trees.

Attachments

• IMG_20171109_160844763.jpg
    IMG_20171109_160844763.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 21
I'm serious about the wool , during the winter months real wool plays a big part in my outdoor gear .
While some of my under garments are of some of the newer fabrics that wick moisture away but wool is my choice of outerwear when working because of breath-ability , lightness and mobility that wool gives you , it will keep you warm when you sweat or have snow melt .
I do wear something to stop the wind when traveling on the tractor in the 32 and below temps but that comes off in a hurry when the scrounging begins so I don't overheat .
Wool is as awesome as spruce and beer :)

I have a ton of wool and fleece. When I used to snowmobile in the mountains all the time it was a legit necessity. Now I use it everyday I am working outside. Kept you dry and warm. Cotton was a death sentence. Crazy how you can get a thin layer of ice next your skin and your frozen in a matter of minutes.

Wish we were allowed to use a 243
What is you minimum size? We were 24 caliber minimum for years but they dropped it to 22 cal centerfire. I'm not a fan of that as too many hunters do not understand bullet construction and use varmint loads that will disintegrate upon hitting heavier bone or hide.

I've never shot a deer with a cartridge less powerful than a .30-30 or smaller caliber than .270

Couple years ago we had -25* this time of year. Been warm so far this year, have seen only single digit temps.
I've been deer hunting for 26 years and this is the third season we've had subzero temps during that time. Coldest was -15 back in early 2000's and if memory serves, the season had been slow and several bucks were harvested after the cold snap.

Back