Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did I ever mention how well spruce and mittens work when it's cold before ?
Wool lined suade leather mittens with cotton gloves inside. As long as I dont need extreme dexterity I can do just about anything in them including running a saw.

Attachments

• 20190129_221626.jpg
    20190129_221626.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
68???!!!

I'll be lucky to break FIFTY EIGHT the next couple days.
Brrrrrrr.
When I was single it wouldn't have mattered as much.
68 in the back here(that wasn't my place that was 68) which is comfortable for sleeping, and 72 in the hall by the family room/kitchen, sure it's a bit warmer the closer you get to the stove :blob2:.
If we didn't have the snow on the roof it would be much cooler even working the stove much harder. Not sure how low it will get over the next few days. I need to shovel the eves of tomorrow if I dare brave the cold.
I'm heading out to get more wood, 4 out right now which is pretty cold for here.
IMG_20190129_222940742.jpg

Chipper: I have an Energy King, 145. Made in Chippewa Falls Wis. I think they are out of business now. I had it installed in our new house 23 years ago. It is installed as the main heat source with an LP gas furnace as backup. It is located in the basement on one end of the house, attached to a masonry chimney; the chimney is outside the basement wall. Ductwork runs through the basement, main floor and second floor. I am heating 4300 sq. ft. The house has insulated 2x6 walls, double pane windows and 14" of insulation in the ceiling. I have no trouble keeping the house warm. It is -17 right now and 75* in the house. I use 6-7 cord of hardwood in a cold winter. I have never been on the roof to clean the chimney in 22 years. I check it every fall with a mirror held in the cleanout door in the basement. I have never gotten more than 3 gallons of soot out of the cleanout. If we are not gone over night the gas furnace never comes on. I will check the gas furnace in the fall to make sure it works but it hasn't come on in several years. I might have an old smoke dragon but it is working well for me.
Sounds like a heck of a unit to heat all that sq ft, and up in Wisconsin on only 6-7 cord. I wouldn't want to get rid of it either. I've never heard of that company.
What kind of insulation is in the ceiling, no attic?
We have 6" walls here, but the insulation in them doesn't seem to good. The bottom of the walls is pretty cool and around the switches/outlets it's also cool.
At least I'm not paying for propane :). I like seeing the propane guy drive past on the Rd or pull in to fill the neighbor I share a drive way with, makes all the hard work scrounging worth it.

Brrrrrrr.
When I was single it wouldn't have mattered as much.
68 in the back here(that wasn't my place that was 68) which is comfortable for sleeping, and 72 in the hall by the family room/kitchen, sure it's a bit warmer the closer you get to the stove :blob2:.
If we didn't have the snow on the roof it would be much cooler even working the stove much harder. Not sure how low it will get over the next few days. I need to shovel the eves of tomorrow if I dare brave the cold.
I'm heading out to get more wood, 4 out right now which is pretty cold for here.
View attachment 700556
56 in the house here. Goin to bed. Ill be up in a bit to reload

Sounds like a heck of a unit to heat all that sq ft, and up in Wisconsin on only 6-7 cord. I wouldn't want to get rid of it either. I've never heard of that company.
What kind of insulation is in the ceiling, no attic?
We have 6" walls here, but the insulation in them doesn't seem to good. The bottom of the walls is pretty cool and around the switches/outlets it's also cool.
At least I'm not paying for propane :). I like seeing the propane guy drive past on the Rd or pull in to fill the neighbor I share a drive way with, makes all the hard work scrounging worth it.
No attic. Two layers of fiberglass insulation in the ceiling.
Yes it gives a guy an immense feeling of satisfaction to be self reliant when it comes to heating your home with wood processed yourself from your own property.

No attic. Two layers of fiberglass insulation in the ceiling.
Yes it gives a guy an immense feeling of satisfaction to be self reliant when it comes to heating your home with wood processed yourself from your own property.
What kind of r-value is that, any ventilation.
It sure makes you feel good when you hear about things like 7100 folks loosing power, God be with them, hope they get the power back on quickly.

Things got ugly for 2 of my daughter's on their way home from work last night.

Oldest rear ended another car inspite of new tires last week.

One of my twins spun out and slid off the road on a curvey county hwy. Step father was able to pull her back on the road. Pretty good guy.

Both are fine but sure made it tough for me to sleep.

This was then.

This is a few minutes ago.

Might make the 100° club this morning!

50F in the house when I got up. Its a balmy 52 now. :D
Your kicking it :rock:.
I watched a movie late last night with my wife, I had put some uglies on the coals (with the draft wide open) to burn them down before a full load when we went to bed. When the movie was over I looked over and there was no glow go the stove :surprised3: it had burned the coals down low enough I couldnt see any red, the stove was at 250 :dumb:. I got it going again and up to temp, but I lost 4 degrees so the house got down to 68 :cold::lol:. Hopefully I can get it back up a bit today.
In the meantime I'm heading out to grab up another saw, cold morning cruze :).

Had to take my Ram in for some recalls and for them to flush the heater core. I got a 2019 Journey as a loaner. You think the thing would start this morning or had a plug in? HELL NO! 45 minutes out in -36 to get the rat to start.

Had to take my Ram in for some recalls and for them to flush the heater core. I got a 2019 Journey as a loaner. You think the thing would start this morning or had a plug in? HELL NO! 45 minutes out in -36 to get the rat to start.
It didn't take you long to put that ls1 in there :D.

Snowing and blowing here all weekend. We got a fair sprinkling of snow. -15°C/5°F. Stuffing wood in the stove when I'm here. And sledding when I'm not. Frozen waterfall in the one pic. Burned some pine this evening when I got home just to burn coals down.
b6a3a574235330caf523fdc13a16dead.jpg
6fbd4a9f4bf8f9c4786a317482ba1592.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Back