Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wattles don't have much spunk at the best of times. I'm almost surprised it didn't cut and stack itself in the shed. Punky down the bottom - firepit wood. The cloud of twigs make good kindling though once broken up.

Yes, Cowgirl likes the monkey saw. She hasn't used it but I assure her that it is a good thing and was remarkably inexpensive. She loves a good deal.
Just tell her how much of a bargain it was, everyone loves a bargain!

Winter finally gave up around here lol. From below zero to 40 above in two days and we are slated to receive 1.5 inches of rain in the next 24 hours. While rain is certainly better than snow (1.5 inches of rain is about 16" of snow) there will be flooding and potential for roof damage to older/weaker structures.

My home and guest cabin do not have that much snow on them and my metal roofs on the rest of the buildings should shed their load today. Getting to work tomorrow might be interesting as the highway goes through a large swamp, well over two miles long that is prone to flooding even in the summer. One extreme or the other LOL.

Winter finally gave up around here lol. From below zero to 40 above in two days and we are slated to receive 1.5 inches of rain in the next 24 hours. While rain is certainly better than snow (1.5 inches of rain is about 16" of snow) there will be flooding and potential for roof damage to older/weaker structures.

My home and guest cabin do not have that much snow on them and my metal roofs on the rest of the buildings should shed their load today. Getting to work tomorrow might be interesting as the highway goes through a large swamp, well over two miles long that is prone to flooding even in the summer. One extreme or the other LOL.
were already showing signs of water flowing here... good to see your still around steve! pulled the boat out so if we flood we can get to higher ground. a fast melt wont be good even tho the frost is not that deep with the snow cover!

Aha makes me feel at home..... Just out of curiosity how far north does Eucalyptus grow in the states?
Not sure. Go too far and they freeze in winter and die. I've seen some in Oregon along the coast. We're in the sf Bay area, people's republic of Kalifornia.

Like a hole in the head but thanks anyway.looks like lots of good firewood in your one. Do you know what species and is it worth milling? I wonder if they are different to here even with the same trees. That one looks borderline for milling here and would be firewood instead. All day today I've been cutting very dry gums for firewood. My 42" bar is only just making it through. Averaging about 10l a day in fuel for the saws. Have to noodle the rounds into 6 bits or I won't be able to handle them safely when they get on the splitter.
No idea on type. Most all Euc around here is only good for firewood. I did cut up one a few yrs back in this same Grove that was bright red heart and extremely stable and dense wood. A lot of it went to a wood turner friend. It burns down to nice charcoal when I close up the damper on the stove. Even after 3-4 yrs I have to have other wood to keep it burning in the stove. It cut like butter when green and coyld be hand split. Haven't seen any like it sinse.

Back