Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's not a ton of ticks here in the canadian north east (but mosquitos that's another story) , but nevertheless I treat my outdoors/bush clothes with Permethrin. Never had any problem with them as they die instantly
Take it easy with that stuff, unless your outdoor/bush clothes are only used a lil. What % are you using?

Take it easy with that stuff, unless your outdoor/bush clothes are only used a lil. What % are you using?

I use the Sawyer permethrin 0.5%. Used by US military for decades. I have read that this stuff was less absorb by skin than deet. Can’t buy it in canada so i buy it in the usa

Well I was going to do some painting this evening as it was supposed to be sunny and in the 50's but snow has been flying periodically all day. Go figure LOL
60101222_10156497722193721_6321645149029924864_n.jpg

Finally got around to building a bit of a wood rack to keep some firewood out of the weather. I used some old shelving I found at the local Dump (was from the local grocery store who replaced all their shelving) they dumped 20 ton of shelving apparently and I brought a few ton of it home in the back of my ute LOL.

I've used to to build shelves for my shed, steps for my mate and cages for the kids rabbits and now shelving to rack some firewood in so it's getting used in plenty of different ways that's for sure. Once Winter is finished I will put some wheels on it so it can be moved out of the way until next year but it should suit my needs perfectly I think, the rest of the wood pile is covered with tarps so it's kept pretty dry anyway but this just keeps the wood a bit neater around the house instead of just a pile in the Carport like it was.

VD7URzkl.jpg

Started whittling on this big chunk the county highway dept. had dropped off a couple months ago. You cant complain about free delivered wood, but I'm about over fooling with some of this big stuff.View attachment 734824

Even your dog looks knackered. I like big stuff. Now if I was in a hurry that'd be another matter.

Bonfire update:

Getting though most of the stuff the arborist dropped off, some largish units there.

9th May 4.jpg

Wildlife shot

9th May 5.jpg

It seems a shame to torch all this stuff but there is some punk in it and it does seem to be pretty soft stuff anyway.

9th May 6.jpg

I took two loads down to the site.

9th May 3.jpg

9th May 2.jpg

Current situation

9th May 1.jpg

At least I'm getting some exercise lumping this stuff around. It's nearly 7 ft high now and shot-putting lumps up there is getting challenging.

Even your dog looks knackered. I like big stuff. Now if I was in a hurry that'd be another matter.

Bonfire update:

Getting though most of the stuff the arborist dropped off, some largish units there.

View attachment 734839

Wildlife shot

View attachment 734840

It seems a shame to torch all this stuff but there is some punk in it and it does seem to be pretty soft stuff anyway.

View attachment 734841

View attachment 734842

View attachment 734843

Current situation

View attachment 734844

At least I'm getting some exercise lumping this stuff around. It's nearly 7 ft high now and shot-putting lumps up there is getting challenging.
Freaky spider!

Bonfire update:

View attachment 734839

Wildlife shot

View attachment 734840

View attachment 734841

View attachment 734842

View attachment 734843

Current situation

View attachment 734844

Some nice wood there to keep em warm Cowboy, the ol peppermint puts out good heat alright. As for the spider, we get lots of huntsman spiders here too, one piece a few weeks back would have had about 50 of the buggers in it (babies) they ran everywhere and that's the reason I don't bring any wood into the house until it's ready to be burn, I would end up with a house full of the little buggers and then I'd have women running all over the bloody place yelling:D

Bonfire update:

View attachment 734839

Wildlife shot

View attachment 734840

View attachment 734841

View attachment 734842

View attachment 734843

Current situation

View attachment 734844

It looks as though you chose the right part of the bonfire duties, sure hope you get to set it ablaze as well :blob2:.

Finally got around to building a bit of a wood rack to keep some firewood out of the weather. I used some old shelving I found at the local Dump (was from the local grocery store who replaced all their shelving) they dumped 20 ton of shelving apparently and I brought a few ton of it home in the back of my ute LOL.

I've used to to build shelves for my shed, steps for my mate and cages for the kids rabbits and now shelving to rack some firewood in so it's getting used in plenty of different ways that's for sure. Once Winter is finished I will put some wheels on it so it can be moved out of the way until next year but it should suit my needs perfectly I think, the rest of the wood pile is covered with tarps so it's kept pretty dry anyway but this just keeps the wood a bit neater around the house instead of just a pile in the Carport like it was.

VD7URzkl.jpg
I could use a couple tons of those, nice scrounge :rock:.

Some nice wood there to keep em warm Cowboy, the ol peppermint puts out good heat alright. As for the spider, we get lots of huntsman spiders here too, one piece a few weeks back would have had about 50 of the buggers in it (babies) they ran everywhere and that's the reason I don't bring any wood into the house until it's ready to be burn, I would end up with a house full of the little buggers and then I'd have women running all over the bloody place yelling:D

Like this?

16th Jul 10.jpg

Look a lot like our Wolf (AKA Wood) Spiders, they were on almost every piece at my Daughter's place. They get fairly large.

Similar type of thing I'd imagine. These ones will bite defensively if you're being a jerk towards them but would otherwise rather go and find another spot to hide. I didn't squash him, just flicked him off and he found a new home. Funnel webs, white tails and redback spiders get the size 10 treatment.

Like this?

View attachment 734941

Similar type of thing I'd imagine. These ones will bite defensively if you're being a jerk towards them but would otherwise rather go and find another spot to hide. I didn't squash him, just flicked him off and he found a new home. Funnel webs, white tails and redback spiders get the size 10 treatment.
No, I do not like this.

Back