Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is just not worth it to get stuck on the 2 mi 4wd road (path) up to the cabin, it is almost all up hill, single lane, windy and unpaved.

I run Blizzaks on the Mustang every winter, they should make the 4 wd go like a tractor!

Hey Mike ... my wifey also runs blizzaks on her little AWD. I tried but couldn't get it to drift in corners during snow last year. Sticks like glue! The fun is gone :D. They are pretty soft so I take them off soon after snow and ice leave the roads. 4th winter year coming on this set and still good tread. Will sell her car before 100,000K but whatever newer AWD we buy for her next will still get Blizzaks in winter.

I've been running the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 on my wood getter truck. Really quiet on pavement yet good bite and sidewall grab for messy back roads. Not too bad for throwing stones.

Funny you mentioned tires. I’m sitting here at Big-O Tires waiting to get some all terrains mounted for this winter. Old girl is getting new shoes. Lol.
8fa007c057474fb5593c40348b520559.jpg
c7ec287cd155ea883390fabea67415d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Mike ... my wifey also runs blizzaks on her little AWD. I tried but couldn't get it to drift in corners during snow last year. Sticks like glue! The fun is gone :D. They are pretty soft so I take them off soon after snow and ice leave the roads. 4th winter year coming on this set and still good tread. Will sell her car before 100,000K but whatever newer AWD we buy for her next will still get Blizzaks in winter.

I've been running the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 on my wood getter truck. Really quiet on pavement yet good bite and sidewall grab for messy back roads.
I ran studded iPikes on the Wife's Forester with good results, it was unstoppable in snow and ice...I'm running Michelin LTX MS on her AWD Equinox now, she can work from home when the roads get bad. It came with Michelin LTX AS, and those things sucked on anything but a burn pile.

I have a set of Cooper M&S for the truck for winter, mainly because we go into the snow belt a couple times a month to see my folks...if I didn't have that travel, I'd run my Michelin LTX MS year round.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That might have been the official line, but I'm here to tell you that the belts would start worming around under the tread. I chased a steering problem for 3 years F350 Oem Firestone tires, completely rebuilt the front end , alignment after alignment, replaced the steering gear box, track bar , even the guys at the shops never caught on. Real nightmare, hit a bump in road and change lanes all by itself. One blew out one day took out whole panel on the box. tires had been rotated every oil change. Only about 30 k on them and never under inflated ( rated at 80k miles, 10 ply , when 10 ply actually meant 10 plies) so when putting on new set found a lump/ knot, checked the others yep same thing. No indications prior to this. Very expensive day- never covered by Ford or Michlen. This wasn't an everyday truck. v10 and 4.77 gears, meant for hauling trailers and such so at times it could sit in the shop for a couple weeks before hitting the road again.

Funny you mentioned tires. I’m sitting here at Big-O Tires waiting to get some all terrains mounted for this winter. Old girl is getting new shoes. Lol.

If I get my new to me truck sorted out, I have a set of Cooper ATWs sitting at the tire shop for it...been there since August, truck has turned into more of a project than I wanted...

Nice tires 95. :rock2: I refrained from any license plate comments.:laugh:

I buy new tires when needed or if I find a deal but have been "scrounging tires" for the last year.

Our suburban came with 20" wheels (which I hate) because they are expensive, do not do well on gravel, and my local shop cant align vehicles with greater than 18" wheels. I found a like new set of aluminum take offs for $120 and ran those tires down to nothing. In the mean time I found two nice used 20" tires and bought two new ones to make a "summer" set (I think the 4 tires with mounting and balancing was $350) and bought a real nice used set of deep lug 17's for winter for $100. So I am probably good for the life of that vehicle.

My 3/4 ton Chevy wood truck (acquired August of 2018) came with aluminum rims and a spare set of steel rims. All of the tires were old/dried out though and all but one of them either wore out/bulged/blew tread off or outright blew while driving within 10K miles. I bought a decent set of used E rated tires this spring and have one left. Found another set of aluminum rims with 3 good tires and one baldy for $50. I am going to buy two new deep lug tires and run the best two from the new set this winter then swap back to the other tires next spring. I threw a couple of the steel rims away because they were severely rusted as well as one of the aluminum rims that had lug damage so now I have 7 aluminum and 2 steel rims which should keep me busy for a while LOL.

and the suspension/center of gravity of the Explorer caused a rollover.
It is interesting that with the failure of the Bronco II due to rollover/center of gravity issues that it's replacement also was prone to rolling over. You'd think that automotive engineers would think a bit more about things.

Scratch that, after trying to repair any modern vehicle it is clear that automotive engineers are only concerned with looks and fuel mileage. LOL

Speaking of tires.o_O I was washing mud off my work boots for the umpteen millionth time and felt some wet. Blowout on the left foot. I was just thinking the other day this pair had lasted over a year. Time for a trip to super shoes for another pair of Carolinas.
What brand were those? I have had best luck with Red Wings. Granted I only wear boots for wood cutting, hiking, and hunting so I do not put on the hours like a person who wears them for work.

It is interesting that with the failure of the Bronco II due to rollover/center of gravity issues that it's replacement also was prone to rolling over. You'd think that automotive engineers would think a bit more about things.

Scratch that, after trying to repair any modern vehicle it is clear that automotive engineers are only concerned with looks and fuel mileage. LOL
And they banned the CJ5 Jeep but let those little Suzuki POS and other small SUVs run the roads...

What brand were those? I have had best luck with Red Wings. Granted I only wear boots for wood cutting, hiking, and hunting so I do not put on the hours like a person who wears them for work.
Carolina brand. Have had pretty good luck with them the last 5-6 years. Prolly wear them 6 days a week unless it's snowing or bitter cold. I needed waterproof and these are along with the composite toe for firewooding.

After reading the ratings of the Michelins that came on my F-150 on Tire Rack (they are horrible in the snow), I ordered a set to Blizzak's and wheels for the winter. Didn't put them on yet … but I will. Should make it an animal in the winter!
What?! Those are car tires. Put some real truck tires on that

Back