Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've turned into a big fan of good all terrain tires, at least for my use. I used to have a lifted Jeep with Pro Comp Xterrain tires. Great in mud and off road, but they were terrible in snow and ice. I was better off driving my little car sometimes. Then I got a set of Kelly all terrians. They were 33x12.5 so even the all terrain tread was really good. I loved those tires! Excellent in snow and ice, decent in all but the deepest mud.

I had a set of the Kelly ATs on my old truck. Excellent on snow and ice. Decent in mud.

My new to me truck has BFGoodrich ATs. I like them, but on that truck they are fairly loud. It's annoying really. Good tires, but on that truck they are loud. I've read similar reviews about them being loud on trucks. They are a load D tire.

Pretty pissed off this morning. Trying to fix the exhaust in my truck as a gasket under the cab was blown out.

End up breaking two studs and having to cut the third. But the gull darn studs will not come out!!!! Wailed on directly with a hammer and they won’t even budge!!

Now it started raining. Have to hope the new drill bits my wife buys will be hard enough to drill them out.

I've turned into a big fan of good all terrain tires, at least for my use. I used to have a lifted Jeep with Pro Comp Xterrain tires. Great in mud and off road, but they were terrible in snow and ice. I was better off driving my little car sometimes. Then I got a set of Kelly all terrians. They were 33x12.5 so even the all terrain tread was really good. I loved those tires! Excellent in snow and ice, decent in all but the deepest mud.

I had a set of the Kelly ATs on my old truck. Excellent on snow and ice. Decent in mud.

My new to me truck has BFGoodrich ATs. I like them, but on that truck they are fairly loud. It's annoying really. Good tires, but on that truck they are loud. I've read similar reviews about them being loud on trucks. They are a load D tire.

hmmmm .... are your BFGoodrich AT's the newer KO2's? Mine are very quiet (F150) on pavement and reported to have longer tread life than previous versions - time will tell. Scratching my head why your tire noise experience is so different .... do we get better rubber up here ? or are our roads softer? :p

Pretty pissed off this morning. Trying to fix the exhaust in my truck as a gasket under the cab was blown out.

End up breaking two studs and having to cut the third. But the gull darn studs will not come out!!!! Wailed on directly with a hammer and they won’t even budge!!

Now it started raining. Have to hope the new drill bits my wife buys will be hard enough to drill them out.

good luck with that ... never much fun!

I feel your pain! I've been there on an exhaust before. best of luck. hve you tried drenching with penetrating oil? or a gas torch on the stud.

Is it possible that the studs are welded to the flange? Do they possibly thread into the flange? I have a spot on the Tucson with studs that thread into the flange, so I know that some mfgrs do that sort of thing.

I've not been a fan of BFG since they sold me around $1200 in their All Terrain KO tires that were an inch out of round and wouldn't stand by their product...ended up selling at a huge loss to an offroader, and buying new tires.

Been running Cooper or Michelin ever since...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You have toyo M/T’s correct? I am impressed with their performance (i have them too in 285/75/18 on my 3500 SRW crew cab long box truck) but i have been stuck in deep mud before. Im going to nitto mud grapplers next [emoji23].

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
The Nitto Terra Grapplers are decent compromise for a daily driver.

Update. I borrowed an air hammer and was able to blast 2 of the 3 out. The third is up high and at such an angle that it just doesn't want to come. But if I bolt up the other two I can use the other side of the manifold as a jig to drill the bastard out. So will be trying that this evening.
Left handed drill bits are your friend in this situation...they will grab and spin out a stuck bolt most times. I have a small set off to the side for just an emergency, they aren't that expensive to have in the tool box.

I fought my own wood hauler battle today, blew a fusible link the other day, found the culprit today...had a piece of harness on top of the trans completely devoid of insulation for a span of three inches!

46fd486b9bd805bd6d5bd7afe341e665.jpg
b617a9b18da62f5062fde282b60a3abe.jpg

I brought my tractor home from up north this morning, it's been up there 2 months. Figured I would head to the bush and cut some trees down and get a load home. Cut a dozen trees down quick and started dragging them to the landing. Making good time and thinking if I spent 2 1/2 or 3 days I will have a couple hundred logs out. Then the tractor stopped moving. Darn, shut it down quick and jumped off to see what happened. Ripped the damn main hydraulic line under the rear end off the filter again. $300 on the ground in 2 minutes. This is the third time for this darn pipe. It's tucked up out of the way but branches get everywhere. Raced to the Dealer to order a new one, got there at 5:05, they close at 5 but the parts guy was just shutting his puter down. Got it rush ordered and it'll be here Saturday morning. Drove back home and there sitting on the shelf was the one I ripped off last year, I had forgot that I was able to get it straightened out. 3 more pails of oil and a bunch of cursing and I should be back logging by noon tomorrow. The ash are really going downhill fast. Lots of ant damage and branches are breaking off real easy. Lots of them have no leaves at all on them. The bases are pretty rotten and I cut 2 or 3' off the bottom of a bunch of them.
20191010_163528.jpg 20191010_163522.jpg 20191010_175452.jpg

I brought my tractor home from up north this morning, it's been up there 2 months. Figured I would head to the bush and cut some trees down and get a load home. Cut a dozen trees down quick and started dragging them to the landing. Making good time and thinking if I spent 2 1/2 or 3 days I will have a couple hundred logs out. Then the tractor stopped moving. Darn, shut it down quick and jumped off to see what happened. Ripped the damn main hydraulic line under the rear end off the filter again. $300 on the ground in 2 minutes. This is the third time for this darn pipe. It's tucked up out of the way but branches get everywhere. Raced to the Dealer to order a new one, got there at 5:05, they close at 5 but the parts guy was just shutting his puter down. Got it rush ordered and it'll be here Saturday morning. Drove back home and there sitting on the shelf was the one I ripped off last year, I had forgot that I was able to get it straightened out. 3 more pails of oil and a bunch of cursing and I should be back logging by noon tomorrow. The ash are really going downhill fast. Lots of ant damage and branches are breaking off real easy. Lots of them have no leaves at all on them. The bases are pretty rotten and I cut 2 or 3' off the bottom of a bunch of them.
View attachment 764888 View attachment 764887 View attachment 764892
I'd be making a skid plate to protect that deal...one way or the other.

Back