Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20190330_175004.jpg
On the charts it’s higher btu than oak. I’m gonna keep it, just thought if the guy wanted to buy a truckload or 2 I wouldn’t turn down a few extra bucks. I’ll try to remember to get pics before I start cutting. Gonna depend now on how much rain we get.
This is the biggest one I've seen. Got two more good sized apples in the back yard that need to come down.

Mine did that until I cut the screen up a little...the screen was 3/8" mesh, I cut every other wire to make it 3/4". Mine would plug off every time it cooled and we refired. I initially removed the screen, but then had a bird get into the stove during the summer...

My baffle is removable, just rock it up out of the way. So for me up and out is easier than out and down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Mine doesn't have a screen in it at all, just a band(flat piece of metal) that wraps around it to make the hole between the pipe and the cap/top part of the cap half the size. I only have to clean it about three times a season which is better to me than having the debris falling on the roof.
My baffle is removable too, pacific energy unit.
Did you say bird in the stove :surprised3:, came home and saw ashes flying around in the stove one day o_O, go over there and theres a bird in it lol.
Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 12.08.28 AM.png

For some reason in my area locust is just barely more prevalent than a live ash.
Bummer.
This summer my wife and I went down to northern Kentucky to the Ark. I was blown away because I couldn’t tell you what half the trees I saw were.
Pretty sure the beams are Douglas fir, but maybe that's not what you meant lol.
I like a big hunk of spalted red oak to heat er up fast.
Not sure I've seen that before, but then again maybe I didn't;t know that's what it was called, but I've seen the spalted maple.
One of the things thats great about the locust is it doesn't usually rot much.
I found this piece when I was cleaning up storm damage at our place and thought it was a rotten piece of wood I was going to throw on the bonfire. If you look to the right of the log/rounds in the picture you can see where it was laying, about half buried right next to the little red oak that's bent over.
Very solid, and who knows how long it had been laying there. Most likely over 10 yrs since I bought the place over 9yrs ago and it had been foreclosed on which takes at least 6 months iirc.
Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 12.00.31 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 12.00.58 AM.png

Bummer.

Pretty sure the beams are Douglas fir, but maybe that's not what you meant lol.

Not sure I've seen that before, but then again maybe I didn't;t know that's what it was called, but I've seen the spalted maple.
I found this piece when I was cleaning up storm damage at our place and thought it was a rotten piece of wood I was going to throw on the bonfire. If you look to the right of the log/rounds in the picture you can see where it was laying, about half buried right next to the little red oak that's bent over.
Very solid, and who knows how long it had been laying there. Most likely over 10 yrs since I bought the place over 9yrs ago and it had been foreclosed on which takes at least 6 months iirc.
View attachment 766369 View attachment 766370
Moss covered locust.:sweet:

Bummer.

View attachment 766369 View attachment 766370

I replaced a eam in my basement back in the 80s. It was held up by a 6x6 post. It was planted before the floor was poured so at least 40 years prior. I figured it was rotted, tried to bust it with the 10lb sledge, no go. cut it with a chainsaw. locust and the onlly rot was surface, didn't go in over 1/2". Amazing stuff. Biggest one I ever saw was over 6' dbh but that is cheating a bit as it was 3 stems fused together. I cut a lot back then that were over 30" dbh.

Mine doesn't have a screen in it at all, just a band(flat piece of metal) that wraps around it to make the hole between the pipe and the cap/top part of the cap half the size. I only have to clean it about three times a season which is better to me than having the debris falling on the roof.
My baffle is removable too, pacific energy unit.
Did you say bird in the stove :surprised3:, came home and saw ashes flying around in the stove one day o_O, go over there and theres a bird in it lol.
View attachment 766367
My birdie didn't fair as well, he was dry as a biscuit when I found him...

My is an RSF, the screen is considered a spark arrestor, although not required in my area. I also have that band, but the material I get out of the chimney wouldn't come close to plugging that...it is the light ash peeling off the inside of the pipe from heat cycling that plugs mine.

My birdie didn't fair as well, he was dry as a biscuit when I found him...

My is an RSF, the screen is considered a spark arrestor, although not required in my area. I also have that band, but the material I get out of the chimney wouldn't come close to plugging that...it is the light ash peeling off the inside of the pipe from heat cycling that plugs mine.

We couldn't even see the little guy because he was flying around making the ash fly:crazy2:.

RSF is the cap or the stove. Not sure what brand cap I have. The pipe I think is security brand double-wall with the vents on the top and the bottom of each piece on the inside, it was expensive stuff, good thing I didn't have far to go :envy:.
Those are the same type of pieces I get only larger and it builds up over time. Pretty sure I have some pics of it in this thread, maybe I'll look later if I think about it.

Moss covered locust.:sweet:
Yeah buddy :dancing:.
I replaced a eam in my basement back in the 80s. It was held up by a 6x6 post. It was planted before the floor was poured so at least 40 years prior. I figured it was rotted, tried to bust it with the 10lb sledge, no go. cut it with a chainsaw. locust and the onlly rot was surface, didn't go in over 1/2". Amazing stuff. Biggest one I ever saw was over 6' dbh but that is cheating a bit as it was 3 stems fused together. I cut a lot back then that were over 30" dbh.
It's some amazing wood for sure. Like you said in your other post about it, moving that brush can certainly be a bummer if you get a thorny one :surprised3:, the good thing is woods/grove trees don't have too many branches, yard trees can be a big mess with hardly any straight wood though.
When I saw the green lumber(wolmanized) and how rotted it was on my kids fort I was amazed, that was in great shape when I built it like 5-6 yrs ago :nofunny:.
The biggest I've seen I posted in this thread, iirc it was over 36, I remember putting my fiscars axe by it for size:chop:. I wonder if anyone seen me and was wondering what I was up to with that axe :laugh:.

We couldn't even see the little guy because he was flying around making the ash fly:crazy2:.

RSF is the cap or the stove. Not sure what brand cap I have. The pipe I think is security brand double-wall with the vents on the top and the bottom of each piece on the inside, it was expensive stuff, good thing I didn't have far to go :envy:.
Those are the same type of pieces I get only larger and it builds up over time. Pretty sure I have some pics of it in this thread, maybe I'll look later if I think about it.
Oh, you have air core pipe...my original fireplace had that...it was 8x11 air core, and the reason I had my structure fire (the dummies cut it off below the roof line when they installed my new chase cover and cap and all that heat that should have went outside built up inside my house).

RSF is the woodstove and the pipe...the pipe is a 7-inch ID, 9-inch OD, fiberglass mat insulated, stainless pipe...its rated for 1600F continuous and 2100 or 2400F intermittent. The cap is RSF also, it's a stainless deal with the wind/rain guard and that stainless screen/spark arrestor deal.

When I had issues with the screen, I called them. Their answer was remove the screen since I didn't live in an area that required them. Then I got my birdie and modified the screen shortly after.

With the rods and the brush, I flip my fire brick baffle up out of the way, and shove the brush up through...I get a teacup worth of ash each year, I can still see the etched writing on the inside of the pipe. I doubt I will even clean it this year...but I got to paint the stove itself so still have to remove all the brick.

Bad day here having just learnt I am going to have to apply for my own job. So the laptop is off early, I've opened a beer and turned to netflix (my girls are away at grandparents) . Must be my mood, I thought I'd watch some band of brothers...perhaps its the thought of watching poor sods in a worse situation than me ha ha! Still no BoB on netflix...I could dig out the dvds but I spotted Blackhawk down on 'flix' and despite being a modern war film it's pretty good. Another one worth watch is Hurt Locker.

Bad day here having just learnt I am going to have to apply for my own job. So the laptop is off early, I've opened a beer and turned to netflix (my girls are away at grandparents) . Must be my mood, I thought I'd watch some band of brothers...perhaps its the thought of watching poor sods in a worse situation than me ha ha! Still no BoB on netflix...I could dig out the dvds but I spotted Blackhawk down on 'flix' and despite being a modern war film it's pretty good. Another one worth watch is Hurt Locker.
Bummer man.
Be sure to do it right away. I was at a place a company bought out, some guys who were high on the seniority list moved way to the bottom because they didn't reapply right away, then they ended up getting laid off down the rd before other who technically had less seniority :sucks:.
I guess on the good side of things at least you have a job for now :rare2:.

stove lit, beer going down.....Rangers about to enter the Bakhara Market...(so film getting to where things go to ****) maybe an evening of beer and war films...I'll take suggestions for the next.

BTW, were you all disappointed with 'el Camino' ? I thought it was ok ...couldn;t really be any better but a shame after all that went before. Oh and fat Todd was odd!

Oh, you have air core pipe...my original fireplace had that...it was 8x11 air core, and the reason I had my structure fire (the dummies cut it off below the roof line when they installed my new chase cover and cap and all that heat that should have went outside built up inside my house).

RSF is the woodstove and the pipe...the pipe is a 7-inch ID, 9-inch OD, fiberglass mat insulated, stainless pipe...its rated for 1600F continuous and 2100 or 2400F intermittent. The cap is RSF also, it's a stainless deal with the wind/rain guard and that stainless screen/spark arrestor deal.

When I had issues with the screen, I called them. Their answer was remove the screen since I didn't live in an area that required them. Then I got my birdie and modified the screen shortly after.

With the rods and the brush, I flip my fire brick baffle up out of the way, and shove the brush up through...I get a teacup worth of ash each year, I can still see the etched writing on the inside of the pipe. I doubt I will even clean it this year...but I got to paint the stove itself so still have to remove all the brick.

Not sure what the air core is, I have 6".
This is what I have to the adapter, then stainless double wall outside.
https://woodstovepro.com/chimney-pi.../security-chimneys-6-dl-pipe-length-36-6dl36/
The baffle on mine has insulation in it and is metal on the outside. To remove it you pull a weird pin in the back and then lift it up a little then tilt it off the side brackets, after that you can remove the side brackets and take the bricks out to replace/clean, then you can take out the brick in the bottom if needed.
One of the good things about cleaning the cap is I just shine a light down there(seems I always end up cleaning it after dark) and I can see the condition of the pipe. I don't do mine often, the same stuff I'd have fall into the stove is the same stuff that will burn or flake off and go out the chimney or get stuck in it. I think the most important thing is to inspect and know the condition of the chimney.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 12.57.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 12.57.49 PM.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 9
Back