Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided to cut a little applewood today for smoking. Long dead trees, but wood still firm - and very hard! Will need to sharpen my chain after one small apple tree (which was a lot of limbing for such little wood). It was worth it, though. Got to hang out with a buddy who was cutting with me and an excuse to run the little saws.

P6iXWIJ.jpg

qwvo31J

Didn’t actually cut firewood today but did cut some small stuff. The bank behind the shed was overgrown with briers and saplings. Bought a blade kit for my Echo trimmer, those things work fantastic. The blades are really hardened well also. Hit a hidden piece of 3/8” rebar driven in the ground. Saw the sparks and thought “Oh ****” Didn’t really do much damage, cleaned right up with the Dremel, probably cut into the rebar an 1/8”, i was impressed.

Decided to cut a little applewood today for smoking. Long dead trees, but wood still firm - and very hard! Will need to sharpen my chain after one small apple tree (which was a lot of limbing for such little wood). It was worth it, though. Got to hang out with a buddy who was cutting with me and an excuse to run the little saws.

P6iXWIJ.jpg

qwvo31J
I got into some Apple chips today, smoked 2 King Mackerel, man are those things good smoked.

P6iXWIJ.jpg

qwvo31J
Have you ever used mulberry for smokin? Supposed to be the cats meow. I'll give you some Saturday if not.

right, i need mouse trap bait ideas please! I've tried peanut butter and also nutella (chocolate spread), usual winners...no luck. tried raisins and rice pops too...no luck. with 2 young kids there are a lot of crumbs about i know which doesn't help but we a currently struggling with a multiplying mouse problem! think i need to use poison....i hate using poison. bait ideas please! these furry feckers seem to know what a trap is!

right, i need mouse trap bait ideas please! I've tried peanut butter and also nutella (chocolate spread), usual winners...no luck. tried raisins and rice pops too...no luck. with 2 young kids there are a lot of crumbs about i know which doesn't help but we a currently struggling with a multiplying mouse problem! think i need to use poison....i hate using poison. bait ideas please! these furry feckers seem to know what a trap is!
If using conventional traps use a piece of cherry licorice secured to the trigger with a toothpick thru it. Peanut butter and such they can lick up, the licorice won’t dissolve and the toothpick holds it in place so they try to drag it off triggering the trap.

Sugar maple? Leaves look pretty close but your flip phone pictures are blurry.
If your talking to me, it was getting pretty dark, I tried multiple settings on my flip phone lol.
That's what I was thinking. I've just never seen the bark like that, I wasn't sure the leaves were from the same tree, but they were :yes:.

I'm a fan of crunchy peanut butter :sweet:, I also use it in my conventional mouse traps :D. I don't feed the dang things, just enough to fill the little hole on the metal thing and I make sure to get a piece of peanut crammed in there too.
If you have a lot you can use one of the five gallon bucket traps, there are a few different ones. The easiest is to put a few inches of water in the bottom and then cover the top with a layer of seeds, then put a wooden ramp up it. They jump in thinking it's solid, but surprise it's not and they ain't getting out :numberone:.

Peanut butter. Put it on the wood UNDER the trigger. They need to push the trigger aside to get to it...

Load scrounged throughout the summer at our leased lake lot. Brought it home today. Those oak rounds on the trailer were all my tractor wanted to pick up. Maxed out truck and trailer, it was a slow ride home, with a little pucker factor involved. Same size of rounds on the other side of trailer.file (1).jpeg

Load scrounged throughout the summer at our leased lake lot. Brought it home today. Those oak rounds on the trailer were all my tractor wanted to pick up. Maxed out truck and trailer, it was a slow ride home, with a little pucker factor involved. Same size of rounds on the other side of trailer.View attachment 766789
You got me beat. I was worried about getting a ticket is the cops pulled me over, you were going to jail.

Back