Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20191017_184714-jpg.766611

I always liked the looks of this corn , are they edible or just animal feed or for a stove that will burn it ?
I remember hearing it was a type of flint corn and was used to make cornmeal.

Son got some better news on his truck. GM is gonna pickup 6k instead of the 3.4k so basically it's a 40/60 split. He was feeling pretty good about that. Oh and it should be done by Tuesday which is better yet.

Which is cool cause I thought I was gonna have to buy his Kawasaki KLR650.

right, i need mouse trap bait ideas please! I've tried peanut butter and also nutella (chocolate spread), usual winners...no luck. tried raisins and rice pops too...no luck. with 2 young kids there are a lot of crumbs about i know which doesn't help but we a currently struggling with a multiplying mouse problem! think i need to use poison....i hate using poison. bait ideas please! these furry feckers seem to know what a trap is!
I just jam a peanut right into the bait bar. With young kids around, the sticky traps work well and are safe enough to put indoors where the kids are (and mice). Down side is the mice will be alive when caught. Sometimes you can peek them off and Huck them down the road, sometimes you have to kill them yourself.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I did switch to Tomcat traps where I use traps, very effective. Even used them on a flying squirrel that somehow got in the house once. To get mice to vacate or not even enter an old guy told me to use peppermint oil on cotton balls. Since using in my sheds have had zero sign of mice over the winter. My buddy used it in his camper same results, no mice. It does have to be oil, not extract.

85FE14B8-0A1D-4036-A55C-537E99400A02.jpeg These are by far the best. You can bend the vertical part of the trigger in or out to increase or decrease sensitivity. And smear the peanut butter into the bait catcher on the trigger so they have to try and chew it out.

If you aren’t having any hits in the trap you could have shrews which are smaller than mice.

I just jam a peanut right into the bait bar. With young kids around, the sticky traps work well and are safe enough to put indoors where the kids are (and mice). Down side is the mice will be alive when caught. Sometimes you can peek them off and Huck them down the road, sometimes you have to kill them yourself.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
My former cat got a glue trap stuck to his ass and freaked because he must have assumed the dead mouse in it was attacking him. Never seen a cat move that fast. I think he did two laps around the house before he was able to stick the trap to something else. Funniest thing I’ve ever seen.

20191017_184714-jpg.766611

I always liked the looks of this corn , are they edible or just animal feed or for a stove that will burn it ?
Mostly sold around here for fall decorations. I used to feed it to my sheep. Like Erik ssid some used to be ground into flour. It's a little bit more work than sweet corn which sells for around $4-5 dozen but this stuff sells for about $12 -15 a dozen. On a different note @James Miller stopped by yesterday and while he was here a guy came for firewood. We loaded it in his MINIVAN. After he left James said we should have got a pic for Dancan.:laugh:

right, i need mouse trap bait ideas please! I've tried peanut butter and also nutella (chocolate spread), usual winners...no luck. tried raisins and rice pops too...no luck. with 2 young kids there are a lot of crumbs about i know which doesn't help but we a currently struggling with a multiplying mouse problem! think i need to use poison....i hate using poison. bait ideas please! these furry feckers seem to know what a trap is!
I use sticky traps inside (have cats) mainly for errant bugs.

Outside I have five bait stations set up around the perimeter of the house loaded with commercial poison (Tomcat, Hawk, etc.).

Our neighbors (we live in a small loose development in the country) insist on having chickens...and they have no clue. One house was infested with rats (after the chicken feed no less), and my immediate neighbor had rats in her garage, so she moved the chicken feed outside. I was between the two neighbors. We knew it was bad when we were seeing rats under our birdfeeder in the daytime...so I bought these bait stations, which I couldn't keep filled for six months because they ate the poison so fast. Saw dead rats everywhere...went through nine pounds of poison that year, still working on the replacement nine pounds five years later.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just under 2 tanks through the ickle saw this morning, it was good stress relief and I'm looking forward to the axe time. The pile isn't that large now, I am often surprised how a pile of branches can look quite big and yet go to very little as it's bucked. Still, hopefully I can persuade my neighbours to remove the 2 trees that are causing my subsidence. Fingers and toes crossed. The trees are the ugliest oaks ever. No branches as they keep them pruned... Basically a pair of ~14m tall bushy totem poles. The other neighbour with a problem Oak..AHH. problem. Not convinced I'll persuade him off anything. It's an 18m tall oak tree and with a huge canopy... That's a lot of wood.

I have had luck with a chunk of Velveeta cheese, even stuck a single piece of dog or cat food I. The cheese.
ecac89712d868e3248589c6e4090c6a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rats!

It’s funny cause we have no rats up here unless you are on a farm or in town. I had never seen a rat in my life till we lived in Florida.

One of my friends bought a mobile home and it came with a rat. His mouse traps were being triggered every night and he couldn’t figure out what was wrong with them. First night with a rat trap, he hears WHAM about 5 minutes after shutting off the lights. Big old rat in it LOL

When I was a kid my dad asked me if grandma ever told me why her big metal watering can was full of dents. No, why? My dad said when he was a kid he went in the cellar of their house and saw a rat was sleeping in the can. Grandpa went down with a small sledge that would fit through mouth of the can and took care of business although the can may have ended up worse than the rat. LOL

Guys my dads age and older used to go to the dump and shoot rats with 22’s.

One last story. One of my in-laws bought a house in this little town (probably the toughest town around) and kept going on about how it was such a great place to live. My wife’s great aunt who always said what was in her mind was like “we used to go there to party and every alley was full of RATS!” LMAO.

After another night of zero trap triggering I've escalated again and ordered some glue. I'm not pleased, but it is the mice or me.
The traps that have a suspended baited tin can above a moat work extremely well also.

Pro tip: use antifreeze instead of water in the moat. It won’t go rotten from the corpses.

Rats!

It’s funny cause we have no rats up here unless you are on a farm or in town. I had never seen a rat in my life till we lived in Florida.

One of my friends bought a mobile home and it came with a rat. His mouse traps were being triggered every night and he couldn’t figure out what was wrong with them. First night with a rat trap, he hears WHAM about 5 minutes after shutting off the lights. Big old rat in it LOL

When I was a kid my dad asked me if grandma ever told me why her big metal watering can was full of dents. No, why? My dad said when he was a kid he went in the cellar of their house and saw a rat was sleeping in the can. Grandpa went down with a small sledge that would fit through mouth of the can and took care of business although the can may have ended up worse than the rat. LOL

Guys my dads age and older used to go to the dump and shoot rats with 22’s.

One last story. One of my in-laws bought a house in this little town (probably the toughest town around) and kept going on about how it was such a great place to live. My wife’s great aunt who always said what was in her mind was like “we used to go there to party and every alley was full of RATS!” LMAO.
Rats with a 22? Ahhh the good old days. My neighbors had a gulley down behind their house and that's where the trash went. Spent many a day with a box of 22 shorts there .

Back