Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brought the splitter to my Daughter's today, and got a little done with my SIL before the rain got heavy.

I'm usually not a fan of saws as large as a MS-660, but for noodling the larger rounds … I really like my Asian Clone (with a ported Cross P+C). You can really lean on it, and it just keeps pulling!

Cutting rounds on a slop like that is a pain, I'm surprised the fence is still up. LOL

You're not wrong! I did pretty well with the rounds but lost control of one section of log and the partly cut four round log rolled down and dinged the corner of the trailer. Tail light go smash! :omg: :buttkick:

Those are my favorite. I bent the part you're talking about so that you can hardly set the trap down without it going off. I need to get another trap, this one has caught hundreds of mice between here and the trailer I lived in.

:lol:

It is a poulan in an orange wrapper, sorry but I don't know which model.

I always hit the mating surfaces of the same trap pictured with 2000 grit sand paper and then brown scotch pad to polish it a bit more. They are stupid sensitive like that too.

I do the same with my live traps. Sensitive enough that I catch sparrows in my large live trap frequently if I leave them in the flowerbeds for rabbits.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I researched (and learned about) Black Maple a few years ago. I was cutting what I thought was a Sugar Maple, but the leaves looked almost like Red Maple, but I knew the wood was way too hard to be Red Maple. Thru my research I discovered there was such a thing as Black Maple, and I've identified a couple since then.

Unfortunately, what we see far too many of around here is Norway Maple … and invasive! They lined a lot of streets in NYC with them because they were supposed to be disease resistant (then they got a disease)! Our proximity to NYC means that in a lot of areas with new growth, they are growing instead of Sugar Maples. The Sugar's still dominate the older growth woods, but I fear that will change someday.

I researched (and learned about) Black Maple a few years ago. I was cutting what I thought was a Sugar Maple, but the leaves looked almost like Red Maple, but I knew the wood was way too hard to be Red Maple. Thru my research I discovered there was such a thing as Black Maple, and I've identified a couple since then.

Unfortunately, what we see far too many of around here is Norway Maple … and invasive! They lined a lot of streets in NYC with them because they were supposed to be disease resistant (then they got a disease)! Our proximity to NYC means that in a lot of areas with new growth, they are growing instead of Sugar Maples. The Sugar's still dominate the older growth woods, but I fear that will change someday.

So can you scrounge a lot of that norway maple?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Thanks for the info on the maples.
I will sneak down there soon and get some better pictures. Now that I got the trail cleared it won't take long at all to get there.
Hopefully my flip phone does better this time :happy:.
Just figured out another tree on our property last night when I was looking up info on the maple, its blackberry. Also learned what hornbeam looks like, seen them before but not at our place.
I learned a few things about trees this week :yes:.
Got a couple cherry trees down at my parents yesterday, getting a pretty good pile of firewood stored up there. Wonder how long I can get away with storing it there lol.
20191019_150536.jpg

Rough weekend for my normally trusty 142. Broke the brake band yesterday and today I bent the tensioner bolt. It was just a soft steel machine screw that I had put in because the original was bent when the saw came to me. Just ordered a new one from eBay.

For a model that most would pass over, this saw is quite the little screamer once de-catted.

FE15064E-E247-4D34-AF96-B7F71F47FA2A.jpeg

Beutiful weather here but been at ICU with dad since Friday. Pnemonia and Afib got the best of him. So firewood been sidelined for a bit. He is more stable today FWIW.

Just a waiting game to see how much he'll recover and how long it takes. Gonna be weaker yet from days of sedation. Better than dead I think. Sometimes ya gotta wonder.

Beutiful weather here but been at ICU with dad since Friday. Pnemonia and Afib got the best of him. So firewood been sidelined for a bit. He is more stable today FWIW.

Just a waiting game to see how much he'll recover and how long it takes. Gonna be weaker yet from days of sedation. Better than dead I think. Sometimes ya gotta wonder.
Will pray for you and him.

After 5000 of our metric miles or about 3000 Murican miles we made it home in time for some fall colors. I saw dead standing trees in New York, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio and Michigan so y'all need to get busy. Actually saw a pickup truck full of split wood in Orlando but couldn't get my phone out fast enough for a pic.
85784235d221d2b866a698dc6b5aa578.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

At one point we had 4 cats and 2 dogs but all of them passed during the last 12 years. Our last calico passed 6 weeks ago.

This evening Joey became part of our family.

View attachment 767356

There is trouble written all over that. Cute though.

Back