Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck with your Dad, that is always a tough time to go through.

One of the most painful decisions I remember was when my brother and I decided we had to remove Dad's guns from the house. He had mild Dementia, and was imagining there was a German behind every door.

When he realized they were missing, he asked where they were. We told him I had taken them to clean them, as he had not cleaned them in a while. That explanation satisfied him, and luckily he never asked about them again.

Good luck with your Dad, that is always a tough time to go through.

One of the most painful decisions I remember was when my brother and I decided we had to remove Dad's guns from the house. He had mild Dementia, and was imagining there was a German behind every door.

When he realized they were missing, he asked where they were. We told him I had taken them to clean them, as he had not cleaned them in a while. That explanation satisfied him, and luckily he never asked about them again.
We dealt with all that with my fil. The tough thing with him was taking the car away. He burned wood for many yrs, he would load the stove just like he was in his right mind, Mom was still concerned about it so she covered the stove and didn't let him run it anymore. The cool thing with that was the gas company ran natural gas thru there and he/they tied into it and go a new boiler for heat. He passed away not long after, good thing for her as it's a large home and heating with 100% propane would have been very costly.
Sometimes the turns we see for the worse lead to be for the best.

When my Uncle (up on the Farm) got old, they could not leave him home alone. He would build a roaring hot fire in the parlor stove when it was 90* outside!

I miss him. I would call and say "I'm thinking of coming up for the weekend", I would no sooner get done saying it and he would reply (with his upstate twang) "Well come on up"!!!

Half the time I would later find out they had other plans for the WE, but no one would call me to cancel my trip!

Also, when I got that big deer with the bow, my cousin and I were struggling to drag is out. It was heavy, up hill, through thorns. Then we heard the tractor coming, my Uncle cut the barbed wire so he could get to where we were! Were we happy to see him and that tractor as nighttime was fast approaching! When I asked him why he cut the barbed wire, he just looked at me and replied "we can fix it"!!!

Steve, I searched directions to your place again and it showed a shorter route (this time) taking the Tappan Zee and 287 to 81. Just over 4 hrs, I'll plan to take that route!

After, I plan to visit my Aunt who moved to Glenville a few months ago (from CT). Looks like only about 1/2 hour down the road.

I will also likely take the truck. It has Navigation, Sirius Radio, and will keep the smell of fuel out of the passenger compartment.

View attachment 767555 View attachment 767556 Took the orange headed one out for a date on the weekend.
Big sky day, still chuckle at 160 watts of solar meeting our needs almost year round, why cant it rain beer?
She's a "hot" first gen girl lol.
Lools nice out there. Does the government know you can do things that cheap, they might not like it!
Any pictures of the house :picture:.

Rainy day with sustained high winds. There will almost certainly be a few more trees to cut on the trails I did yesterday.

Cut my teeth on pex plumbing tonight. Man this is easy. I just need to pick up one more “T” tomorrow and the whole job will be done.

Watching the Patriots destroy the Jets. AWESOME dinner of blood sausage with fried onions n potatoes. And hanging out with the cat.

0C7CA2E6-0FC6-460A-974E-5A0D38A48CD1.jpeg BABBF3AA-8D29-4208-A5FD-CF68C2A48348.jpeg

No problem with power steering.
That's right, even Armstrong power steering would work on there :laugh:.
Funny story, when I went to truck driving school(a few yrs ago :yes:) I chose to take my backing test in a truck that didn't have power steering, I didn't want to oversteer, and I didn't:laughing:.

Hey the mouse trap just went off :D.

Under the sink fresh, no permit required, yet lol.
My wife sent me a text saying my little one saw a mouse, if she says she saw something you don't question it :rare2:.
As per normal she was right on the money.
Notice there is still peanut butter/peanut in there on a little better than half of it.
Took me 3 tries to get it set and then get the second picture with it set :surprised3:.
Ready for the next fall mouse :rock:.
No antifreeze here!
Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 12.12.22 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 12.12.41 AM.png

Steve, I searched directions to your place again and it showed a shorter route (this time) taking the Tappan Zee and 287 to 81. Just over 4 hrs, I'll plan to take that route!

After, I plan to visit my Aunt who moved to Glenville a few months ago (from CT). Looks like only about 1/2 hour down the road.

I will also likely take the truck. It has Navigation, Sirius Radio, and will keep the smell of fuel out of the passenger compartment.
Sounds good Mike. Glenville must be close because I see saws for sale there on FB marketplace and I'm set up for a 10 mile radius from East Brtlin.

Kittens are fun when they're not strong enough to break the skin with teeth or claws so you can rile them up a bit and get away with it. It's also a good time to get them used to you touching their paws, belly and tail. They're different to dogs but cats can be great little companions especially if they're inside cats who have to interact with their humans more of the time - they seem to become a bit more dog-like in their social behaviour. Cowcat Mk2 thinks she is a dog, she'll fetch toys if you throw them and she'll meet you at the door when you come home from work. Sometimes you'll be standing at the window idly looking outside and you'll hear something land on the floor next to you and realise the cat has dropped her toy by your feet and it's time to play.

Cowcat Mk1 taught the squids important lessons about respecting animals and not being a PITA to them. She'd put up with it for a while then give them a couple of warning flails without the claws but if they kept on provoking her it was on like Donkey Kong. Lessons learned.

Kittens are fun when they're not strong enough to break the skin with teeth or claws so you can rile them up a bit and get away with it. It's also a good time to get them used to you touching their paws, belly and tail. They're different to dogs but cats can be great little companions especially if they're inside cats who have to interact with their humans more of the time - they seem to become a bit more dog-like in their social behaviour. Cowcat Mk2 thinks she is a dog, she'll fetch toys if you throw them and she'll meet you at the door when you come home from work. Sometimes you'll be standing at the window idly looking outside and you'll hear something land on the floor next to you and realise the cat has dropped her toy by your feet and it's time to play.

Cowcat Mk1 taught the squids important lessons about respecting animals and not being a PITA to them. She'd put up with it for a while then give them a couple of warning flails without the claws but if they kept on provoking her it was on like Donkey Kong. Lessons learned.
This cat is very gentle, she doesn’t use her claws much and doesn’t bite at all. Also is litter box trained already.

The kitten looks very cute Steve, but did you choose tortoise shell? I've heard they tend to be...a bit...well....psycho.
This is technically a calico not a tort. We had to have her because our last cat was a wonderful calico. Except for the new one being a bit darker, they are nearly identical.

Back