Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tell you, after this freezing deer season I wish I bow hunted. I have a couple of stands that are in close quarters and would work well for this. Going to need to think about this.
Two words - heated stand...

Our stands are heated...if my father had the ambition, they'd probably have electric and cable too! All it takes is a small propane heater (like a Mr. Heater) to heat a small enclosed stand even in really cold temps, we used cooking burners before as well...makes for good heat and a place to toast a sandwich!

I've sat out when it was near zero, in not much more than a tee shirt...makes for more pleasant hunting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hey, you chose to live 2/3rds of the way to the Arctic Circle. Be happy that you don't have any mosquitos!

Philbert
We really do live in the worst climate lol.

Hot, humid, buggy summers. Short fall/spring. Long, cold, snowy winter. At least it’s a scenic area.

Calling @dancan. Free spruce rounds on our local facebook.

65143327_2344193009169158_8535125831435943936_o.jpg

If I was on my phone I'd share lots of pictures of some trees from over the weekend. I'll get to that.

Since yesterday was Veteran's Day I wanted to say something about it. Saturday evening we all went over to my grandparent's house for dinner. My uncle was there from Washington state. He recently retired from the Army after 34 years. He retired as a Colonel and was the base commander at Fort Lewis for a few years. He started out in ROTC, paratrooper, translator, and spent the most time with helicopters. He was in Desert Storm flying from Turkey into Iraq. Then, more recently, he did a few deployments with helicopters in Iraq. He still flew several missions with his pilots. He said in his last time there he stayed at the presidential palace in Bagdad. He's a great guy, a jokester.

My grandpa, whose farm we now own, is 93. He was in the Coast Guard during WWII. He still talks about some leave in Boston. He said they were in Boston Common. There were several mounted police riding around. He said some went riding into the woods and when the horses came back out there were a couple sailors on each horse. He never did know what happened to the police. He spent a lot of time near Newfoundland and into the Great Lakes.

If I was on my phone I'd share lots of pictures of some trees from over the weekend. I'll get to that.

Since yesterday was Veteran's Day I wanted to say something about it. Saturday evening we all went over to my grandparent's house for dinner. My uncle was there from Washington state. He recently retired from the Army after 34 years. He retired as a Colonel and was the base commander at Fort Lewis for a few years. He started out in ROTC, paratrooper, translator, and spent the most time with helicopters. He was in Desert Storm flying from Turkey into Iraq. Then, more recently, he did a few deployments with helicopters in Iraq. He still flew several missions with his pilots. He said in his last time there he stayed at the presidential palace in Bagdad. He's a great guy, a jokester.

My grandpa, whose farm we now own, is 93. He was in the Coast Guard during WWII. He still talks about some leave in Boston. He said they were in Boston Common. There were several mounted police riding around. He said some went riding into the woods and when the horses came back out there were a couple sailors on each horse. He never did know what happened to the police. He spent a lot of time near Newfoundland and into the Great Lakes.
Enjoy those stories, you will miss them when they aren't around to tell them later in life...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Must be doing good, still as mean as a rattlesnake. I’m starting therapy for a messed up disc in my back, hoping it works, surgery isn’t on my agenda.
I have one just like that. The doc told me I might need surgery for my 2 cracked vertebrae 2 years ago. Ain't happening till I have trouble lifting a 12 ouncer.

Just let the dog out and the ground is all white.

My Dad was in India and spent a good chunk of the war hunting Tigers. He had a buddy from home that got over their first and made friends with several villages. They still had trouble with Man Eaters and they would get Herbert and Dad to get rid of them. Dad got Malaria and Jungle Fever at the same time and almost died. He went "missing" for almost a month. Turned out he was in the hospital all along. But, my grandmother got the personal visit saying he was missing and presumed dead. His stories sounded like scenes from Mash.

My uncle was in the tank core with Patton. On the morning of his 19th birthday his Sargent asked what he wanted for his birthday? He said he wanted a little wound, just big enough to send him home. Later that day his tank was hit by an anti tank round and blew a chunk of his skull out. He managed to drag another tanker back to safety and got the Purple Heart and a couple medals for gallantry. For many years after the war he still talked, smiled, and kissed my aunt out of one side of his face, he still had no feeling or movement in the other side.

Dad told all of the fun stories around friends and strangers. Around family he would tell the stories of being on the air field. He was on the crash crew and had to pull bodies out of burning planes.

Sure miss those guys.

Most times my Dad would not talk about the war, unless it was to prove a point, and the more you pressed him, the more he told you to do something else. But one time, I must have asked just right, and he entertained my question. I asked him what the most heroic thing he did was.

He pondered for a few minutes and then told me about how one time when the German tanks were pursuing our tanks, they had set up an ambush for the Germans, but another solder got shot in the knee and was laying in the middle of the road, unable to move. You could hear the German tanks coming, and everyone knew he was done for if he stayed there. So my Dad ran out and threw him over his shoulder and brought him back to our position.

He later visited the guy in the hospital, and the guy was happy as a lark. My Dad asked him what he was so happy about, being shot in the knee meant he would never walk right again. The guy replied, "yea, but at least I'm going home, you are probably going to die over here".

My Dad was in the reserves when the war broke out, and was in the battle of the hedge rows and the battle of the bulge. He never did expect to return home. He told my Mom he thought it was just a matter of when, not if.

Back