Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We can agree to disagree.

Tires make a HUGE difference. Put them cookie-cutter Dully tires on my 7000 pound truck and then put my current wider mud tires on. Test both in my swampy woods and tell me if there’s a difference.

Trust me sir, Iv been there.

13” wide mud tires will complete change how the truck floats on top of the mud.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
So how do you put 13" wide tires on a dually?

I think one of the reasons Matt saw so many trees up there marked for harvest is they are trying to stay a step ahead of the Emerald Ash Bore. There are a lot of Ash trees up there, and most of them are still alive.
Pa did that...cut all the mature trees susceptible to the borer and that stops/delays them...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think one of the reasons Matt saw so many trees up there marked for harvest is they are trying to stay a step ahead of the Emerald Ash Bore. There are a lot of Ash trees up there, and most of them are still alive.
Interesting that you have live ash trees. Around Bob Spike60's shop they were mostly dead a few years ago already. And they were hitting the ash trees hard up by Albany too. I wonder if the bugs do not like higher elevations?

I think it is more that they don't like the colder temps as much. My place is a good deal NW of Bob's, and likely stays colder than Albany.

Most of the Ash down here are dead, but there are still a few live ones. Up at my property it is the inverse, there are a few dead ones, but most of them are still alive.

In both water and air, I believe there is usually an inverse relationship to temperature and the speed at which bugs and worms cause their destruction.

Ironically, I saw an Emerald Ash Bore upstate before I ever saw one down here. It was so long ago I did not even know what it was when I saw it, which later really pissed me off as I think I could have killed the darn thing!

I'm reluctant to kill unidentified insects … I remember in grade school some kid brought something in for show + tell. When bugs started coming out of it the teacher was frantic to kill them. Turns out they were little praying mantises!

You guys ever try to do something without a thumb? I got some sort of sliver in my left thumb on Friday and apparently didnt get it out as now it is infected. You do not realize how much you need thumbs till you do not have full use of one.

Try icthammol, it's a drawing salve for splinters. Pt is bad for that, I get inflamed in no time but wild rose thorns are the worst. I used to get infected PT splinters and they would pop out with the puss when i cut it open.

Snow around here was heavy by 9:00 this am. Tractor was pushing some of it with the snow blower before it would eat it but the 66" cut is nice and the snow in the woods and off the drive is sweet. Driving in reverse is s small pain when the snow blows back but a ski mask and a snow suit takes care of that. Not sure what we had but more tonight

wasn’t ash trees they had marked.....

Oak, Red oak leaves....

if you wanna go up in a few weekends, let me know. I’ll bring the sled if we need it

The cab is nice, but very boring. They had two morons in the plow trucks. The other guy that has a clue was in our bucket loader. The Best plow guy, old farmer, is on Vacation this week. Definitely missed him.

Got home from the dealership in time to plow my own driveway with the quad. Get to wake up at 3:30 again tomorrow to do it again.

So, in non-snow talk. Browning Lever Action Rifle or Henry Long Ranger??

Attachments

• 1CA9FB8D-CA20-4C30-B598-BCAA2A337B71.jpeg
    1CA9FB8D-CA20-4C30-B598-BCAA2A337B71.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 6A13050E-4886-471B-9B94-457544748ACD.jpeg
    6A13050E-4886-471B-9B94-457544748ACD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 4E3CEF74-FF21-4FE0-BC2D-F70D67BD0C06.jpeg
    4E3CEF74-FF21-4FE0-BC2D-F70D67BD0C06.jpeg
    456.3 KB · Views: 14
  • C85988F1-55B9-4B95-AA4A-A5B8C5EC81F1.jpeg
    C85988F1-55B9-4B95-AA4A-A5B8C5EC81F1.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
Try icthammol, it's a drawing salve for splinters. Pt is bad for that, I get inflamed in no time but wild rose thorns are the worst. I used to get infected PT splinters and they would pop out with the puss when i cut it open.

Snow around here was heavy by 9:00 this am. Tractor was pushing some of it with the snow blower before it would eat it but the 66" cut is nice and the snow in the woods and off the drive is sweet. Driving in reverse is s small pain when the snow blows back but a ski mask and a snow suit takes care of that. Not sure what we had but more tonight
Well it’s “down” to the size of dime today and only hurts when direct pressure is applied to the puncture so we are are making progress.

I’m not one to get infections very often so must have been some nasty stuff in there.

Joe the rules sound bad, but you helped 2 friends, ran saws and cut some nice wood. That's got to be satisfying.

Why so much dead Oak though? Oak wilt or just a lot of oaks?
Not sure if it's wilt, but it's taking a lot of mature Red Oaks. I "Had" a 1.3 acre wooded lot. Built in 87, loose 2-3 Oaks a year off my place. My friends farm has a 10 acre woods in the center of all the cattle pastures. I'd say at least 1 in 20 Oaks are standing dead now. Cutting the Ash is fun, drop, buck, load what I want, throw the rest in little burn piles. If a limb gets pushed down in the mud, I don't get my saw near it. Just cut on either side of the dirt, and throw it on the burn pile. It's starting to get cold enough to enjoy the burn pile. Yes, lots of Oak. Our mature forests are mostly Oak. On my lot I had 1 mature Ash, cut it down a couple weeks ago. All the rest of the mature trees are Oak, mostly Chestnut Oak, Red Oak, and a few White Oak. Just 40-50 miles north of me we have Chinkapin and Laurel Oaks, south of us we have Willow, Post, Live Oaks. If you never traveled you could live you whole life and not see a dozen Oaks that live in different parts of just Maryland.

With all the development here in S.Central Pa I'm waiting for them to stop rifles and go to Slugs and buckshot. Just a matter of time I think.
That's kind of funny. I'm in the Eastern most part of Western MD. RT 70 goes right through town, every thing above 70 was rifle, and every thing below was shotgun only. Way out in Western Frederick county. One side of the highway was shotgun, the other side rifle, and both sides were so far out in the mountains it was crazy to be shotgun only. Just a few years ago they reevaluated the county and made every thing but Frederick City proper, rifle friendly.

The cab is nice, but very boring. They had two morons in the plow trucks. The other guy that has a clue was in our bucket loader. The Best plow guy, old farmer, is on Vacation this week. Definitely missed him.

Got home from the dealership in time to plow my own driveway with the quad. Get to wake up at 3:30 again tomorrow to do it again.

So, in non-snow talk. Browning Lever Action Rifle or Henry Long Ranger??
Marlin 1895 in 45/70?
d3673c677db52c9a8ec3ca8c2a8edd69.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back