Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot a cloverleaf at 100yard, that's a brush gun?

My father has a Savage 99 in 300 Savage, it will shoot tacks at 100yards and knock the snot out of a deer. The way a 99 closes is more similar to a bolt action than a typical lever action, which makes them accurate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think it is more that they don't like the colder temps as much.

They handle the cold just fine, on occasion I can find a live one here and there. No idea why as to there spread, but as you mentioned several cities are culling there ash in hopes of..........??? I dont have any cities within an hour plus and all my ash is.......well almost burnt :)

Steve, that slow moving big fat 300gr bullet will undoubtedly pop through the brush better than most others. One of the places I hunt has 300 yard shots all day long.
Your Marlin would be awesome up at the cabin, rarely are the shots past 100

Do you hand load for it? I got a pal at work, has two lever 45/70’s and a Ruger No3 in 45/70. Loves that cartridge

We hand load it (we hand load everything), we load it to "Marlin" specifications (not rolling block and not a Ruger #1). Right now I'm sitting at a 300gr bullet over 60 grains of imr4064, punishing on both ends.

There is no such thing as a brush gun...any bullet that touches a twig is going to deflect.

I bought the 1895 because I wanted one...no real purpose, I have equal/better deer and bear calibers. I just have a thing for stubby lever actions. My next purchase will be an 1895M in 450 Marlin...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

View attachment 777169 FIL must have bumped his head when he brought wood in today. Surprised these locust splits didn't get left on the racks because there not oak :buttkick:.

He's weakening, James! One of these days you'll have him burning popple and pine. Or maybe the cataracts have reached the point where he can't tell the difference until he picks it up. No doubt the weighty feel of the locust would have appealed.

On a side note, one other thing we do differently down here is with our seasons. Winter/Spring/Summer/Autumn don't start on the solstices or equinoxes but on the first day of the month of the solstice or equinox (IDK why that is). So for us, Summer started on 1st December. So it's snowing in summer and I have the heater going with some nice peppermint burning away. I prefer peppermint burning inside rather than lots of peppermints burning outside at this time of year (along with grass, houses and people).

Had a horrific accident at work today. A guy got entangled in a horizontal boring mill. Luckily I was close and we managed to save his life, at least for now. He was flown out on a helicopter. My reason for sharing this is I want to urge you guys to be careful. Chainsaws, tractors, pto equipment etc are all inherently dangerous. Please wear ppe and please take your time and be alert. Everyone needs to go home to their families..

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

The cab is nice, but very boring. They had two morons in the plow trucks. The other guy that has a clue was in our bucket loader. The Best plow guy, old farmer, is on Vacation this week. Definitely missed him.

Got home from the dealership in time to plow my own driveway with the quad. Get to wake up at 3:30 again tomorrow to do it again.

So, in non-snow talk. Browning Lever Action Rifle or Henry Long Ranger??

Henry

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Had a horrific accident at work today. A guy got entangled in a horizontal boring mill. Luckily I was close and we managed to save his life, at least for now. He was flown out on a helicopter. My reason for sharing this is I want to urge you guys to be careful. Chainsaws, tractors, pto equipment etc are all inherently dangerous. Please wear ppe and please take your time and be alert. Everyone needs to go home to their families..

Sorry to hear, glad you were there for him though.

I told Matt I would take the Browning in 358 Win. For long range open field shots I would choose a bolt action. The 358 would be ideal for the woods.

There are lots of factors re: brush bucking, including velocity, rate of twist and the hardness of your bullets. When a high velocity bullet strikes a sap filled branch it is like hitting concrete, and the expanded bullet will loose energy rapidly. I have seen 130 gr 270 bullets deflect so wildly (fired 3 shots and they went everywhere but at the deer) I will never use them in a wooded area again. (if the mushroom is not uniform, the deflect like crazy). Even when loaded with premium bullets, they loose energy too fast after striking brush.

Well constructed 30 cal (and larger) bullets seem to fare much better. There is a reason the 270 WSM stayed in the gun cabinet and I used the 06. The 270 WSM harvested a nice 8 point the last time I used it, but it went through brush first and the wound channel in the deer was less than impressive. If the sapling it struck were a bit thicker or further from the deer, I don't think I would have harvested it.

The 270 is a fantastic open field caliber, but IMO, it is not a good woods caliber. I have stubbornly reached this conclusion after several years of hunting with a 270 and a 270 WSM.

This is from a couple of years ago, but we still do it just the same. Grill a chunk of Backstrap rare then slice it thinner when it comes off the grill.

hi MM - by anyone's standards, definitely rare!... looks to maybe be still jumping fences in middle... lol. I got some backstrap still in freezer. last season. couple packets. i dont eat it all up at once, that way I am not out! ;) and more headed my way this season, comps of a neighbor. I like mine pan fried in bacon grease, floured, seasoned and med-rare/med... great with breakfast yard eggs.P4150003.JPG P4150008.JPG P4150009.JPG P4150004.JPG P4150005.JPG

Had a horrific accident at work today. A guy got entangled in a horizontal boring mill. Luckily I was close and we managed to save his life, at least for now. He was flown out on a helicopter. My reason for sharing this is I want to urge you guys to be careful. Chainsaws, tractors, pto equipment etc are all inherently dangerous. Please wear ppe and please take your time and be alert. Everyone needs to go home to their families..Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

you are right! thanks for the headsup. I know several farmer/rancher typs that walk with a limp... lucky to be alive! hopped off tractor w/o setting brakes! rolled over them. one thing I never do is get of my tractors w/o setting brakes. running or not! just like in aviation - Safety First!

added a couple cords of oak to my rural stash other day. maybe more. had a crew come in and we shaped, topped, countoured and cleaned out a bunch deal limbs in some junk trees. 8 trees total. 4 very big, 3 big oaks. 4 man team, 2 full days, pro arborist team, been working together over past 20 years... 65' book truck and 80 hp diesel chipper. been on the Agenda List for a number of year... just not a job for the uninitiated or light hearted. glad its done now. my bucket is going to get in some overtime as I move it to dryer quarters...

P5070005.JPG P5070006.JPG P5080044.JPG P5080068.JPG P5080092.JPG
when job done had about 4 lines of fireplace sized stix like this. white and live oak. some chunks to split. great crew! a pleasure to work with them.

had my trusty Echo with me... put in some :numberone:performance efforts! one sharpening and several tanks of fuel... mostly limbing and cutting firewood size.

P5070010.JPG

got to use this MS 261. realy nice saw. great power and cutting ability. smooth throttle response. enjoyed using it...
P5080074.JPG

Thanks for sharing Jeff.
Prayers sent for all involved, these things always effect more than just the individual.

Gosh man. That’s horrible. Hope the guy makes it. And hope you guys that were there are sleeping ok. I know how that goes sir, it gets to ya. Dont care how tuff you are.

Hang in there, count your blessings and learn a lesson. I pray for the guy and his family.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Round two - Fight!

Jeff, hope your coworker pulls through. That’s one of worst fears, getting tired and then getting complacent.....
we all use dangerous equipment from time to time and need to be alert

my fear when clearing the snow is that loader, the plow trucks will bounce off the Kubota, but the big Komatsu.... that thing will tear through this cab like a beer can, always keeping an eye on where that thing is0AC40DE4-5929-4CBD-8512-D932682ADDD5.jpeg48C8A646-4B5A-4EE9-9538-B4D56EE5C8D6.jpeg28E572A8-821C-4809-B5D8-A711341CFE70.jpeg

Back