Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, that slow moving big fat 300gr bullet will undoubtedly pop through the brush better than most others. One of the places I hunt has 300 yard shots all day long.
Your Marlin would be awesome up at the cabin, rarely are the shots past 100

Do you hand load for it? I got a pal at work, has two lever 45/70’s and a Ruger No3 in 45/70. Loves that cartridge
Don’t under estimate the 300 Savage. A friend took an Elk at 310 yards, measured. I’ve shot two deer at 200 yards with my 250, and would have no problem taking a 300 yard shot with it. We have several pieces of half inch angle iron hanging behind our range in WV. The 250 cratered it with a big bulge out the back with 100 gr coreloks, at 200 yards. The 300 pierced it with 150’s, and the M1 Garland blew through it with 167’s. I keep saying my next 1899 will be a 38-55 but others come along I can’t pass up. A friend is selling off most of his collection to buy a piece of property in Oregon. He had a couple listed in 284w, 358w, and 375w. These are all pretty rare and in mint condition. I think he was asking about $2000 each for them.

Had a horrific accident at work today. A guy got entangled in a horizontal boring mill. Luckily I was close and we managed to save his life, at least for now. He was flown out on a helicopter. My reason for sharing this is I want to urge you guys to be careful. Chainsaws, tractors, pto equipment etc are all inherently dangerous. Please wear ppe and please take your time and be alert. Everyone needs to go home to their families..

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
A buddy works in a print shop and a lot of the old timers work by the old saying, “do as I say, not as I do” . They show the rookies how to do it right, but cut corners doing it them selves. One of the rookies tried cutting corners and got his hand caught in a roller. Lost two fingers. They reattached them, one took, one didn’t. Two weeks a go one of the girls on the farm was in a bad car accident, haven’t heard the details. Her intestines were severed and had to be reattached. One hip was crushed so bad they said the only thing holding the leg on is the skin. Now she has infection in the internals. They’ve kept her in an induced coma waiting to do the hip surgery. Please say a prayer for Debby, she’s about the nicest one on the farm.

Sorry to hear about that incident Jeff, hope he recovers well.

Perhaps more important than PPE is remembering, when operating any equipment, where all your body parts are and what can go wrong before it does. Common sense is your most important asset.
Common sense is being pushed out of most work places. I've seen more people get hurt at work in the last 5 years do to corporate types that have no experience on the plant floor telling us how to do are jobs safer then I did the first 10 years when the old heads taught the new guys how to do it. I'm part of the last group that came in befor the talking heads decided they knew more about the machines then the guys that run them every day. And I'm thankful for that.

They predicted two straight days of snow, but at the end of the day yesterday the grass was barely white and the roads were clear but school had been cancelled based on fear.

Then, last night, it got cooler and windier and we finally got 4" of snow. Even with some ice underneath, it was no problem for the ATV. It did result in another 2 hr school delay.

And everyone wonders why kids aren't as tough as they used to be!!!

Luckily Joe has been running it the last two days, it’s Paul I gotta watch out for.... he only knows one speed

People that drive like that in a pc of heavy equipment are asking for trouble. You talk to him about it?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Never a dull moment.

Was driving the kids to school this morning. Smelled burning metal so I stopped to check the brakes. No issues there but heard squealing under the hood. Idler pulley wobbling like hell. Figured I’d try to make the last 5 miles but it threw a half mile later. Hot as hell idler wheel was thrown up on the intake and was literally melting into some wiring. Pulled it off with a wrench, made my way to town with a few stops to make sure I didn’t overheat. Lucky in two respects; first the only parts store in town had a new pulley and second, I’m driving to Minneapolis tonight and wouldn’t want to have to deal with that on the freeway!

I am once again humbled by the kindness of our fellow AS members.

I checked the mail a short time ago and unexpectedly received this awesome saw from Zogger. He says it runs and just needs bucking spikes to be complete. Can’t wait to try it out!!!

View attachment 777301
Sweet. Put on your big boy pants when you go to start it.:crazy2:

View attachment 777169 FIL must have bumped his head when he brought wood in today. Surprised these locust splits didn't get left on the racks because there not oak :buttkick:.

Like Cowboy said , it was dark , the power was out , no batteries for the flashlight and was wearing sunglasses , picked up some wood , it was heavy and decided it was shmoak .
He tried to use the sniff test but had a sinus infection lol

Had a horrific accident at work today. A guy got entangled in a horizontal boring mill. Luckily I was close and we managed to save his life, at least for now. He was flown out on a helicopter. My reason for sharing this is I want to urge you guys to be careful. Chainsaws, tractors, pto equipment etc are all inherently dangerous. Please wear ppe and please take your time and be alert. Everyone needs to go home to their families..

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Well **** , that's ruff :(
Are you OK ?

People that drive like that in a pc of heavy equipment are asking for trouble. You talk to him about it?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Me and Joe have both tried. He pulls the seniority rank crap. He is the General Sales Manager, I’m the service manager and Joe the prep. Paul’s been managing since I was in high school. Last winter it was the sign by the road that got the death toll from him in the loader.

Here is a picture of my beauty....

he Uncle Mike, I wish we only got 4 inches over here..... except the 600cc TWO stroke toy sure is fun in the white stuff2F912232-AE9B-435D-A5A5-7A0EF44F7A81.jpeg

Back