Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see this all the time, live edge slabs that are crap for hundreds of dollars. Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

hard for me to believe $59! looks like the end drop off the fence posts we put in few yrs back to hang ranch gates on... wonder what wood it is? looks like old treated pine... ;) well, imo...

Canola oil can harden, if left in place, leading to problems. Bet to flush it out with Dino oil if your saw is gonna sit for a while.

Philbert
Have never flushed the saws. No issues. A gummy chain ain't no real issue to me. But we don't see negative temps in Winter, so that might be the main reason no hardening issues.

Do you treat around your house to kill carpenter ants. It's just part of my spring routine battle, man vs ants, they try to destroy our buildings here.
They shouldn't be destroying anything that isn't wet, although they may nest in it.
Carpenter ants only burrow in wet wood, termites on the other hand don't care, but they will go for softer wood if it's around first as well. Glad termites aren't a big problem here, only know of one problem ever with them here in a house, but I'd guess it's not the only problem ever up here.

I don't mind a drink as you can probably tell, I had given up for about 8mths or more then started again last week, I'm trying to be good and not go back to the old ways, not sure how successful that's going to be but I haven't been too bad, the other day was the worst so far.
I also hung up the drinking for a bit. Had to take a good look at myself and then rethink what I was doing. Now I might have one during the week and mainly drink on the weekends. I was up to 12-18 a day. Not a healthy way to be. Figured I’d be in a hole before getting a chance to dance with my daughters at their weddings. So, cold turkey for a good 6 months and now just try to find other outlets for my ............ “energy”

Finally. 7 days without heat or hot water, got the boiler installed and running. Thank goodness for the wood! The woodstove was intended to be a backup to the propane but usually works the other way around. In floor heat downstairs where my boys live is propane. Upstairs is all wood unless we go away for a few days. The main pain was no hot water. The simple things we take for granted.
07dab00bcd32be15f09ac17be2a7e8ff.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

https://www.harrybrowns.com/

My Pal Ashley, she’s the service manager at the dealership out there. Sweet gal, they flew her out here when they promoted her and my team taught all we could. Girl went back there and streamlined their process and is turning profits. Not always about charging more, first ya got to fix the broken.

Toblerone anyone?

toblerone.jpg

I hit a levelling wedge that was under the slab when cutting the mitre. Fortunately it only munted the waste piece. You can see the damage about 8" up from the bottom of the toblerone. For once, I got real lucky.

Added a heap of concealed tenons to hopefully strengthen this joint.

dominoes.jpg

Did a dry fit and the mitre was perfect, amazingly. But as always seems to be the case my perfect dry runs turned to custard when it really counts during the glue-up. I had layed masking tape across the joint on the outsides, and contact glued some 45 degree blocks to the tape, to help me clamp the joint tight. But one slipped (the tape adhesive failed) during glue-up so the joint isn't perfect. Won't really know how bad until I'm brave enough to unclamp everything, probably on boxing day. Hopefully it's OK.

Mate isn't going to have xmas dinner on this table, but am now shooting for new years eve. While it's a privilege to work with a huge hunk of Kauri, it's actually very stressful because I know it's irreplaceable. It's only just gone 9pm here but I'm shattered from all the stress. Different kind of stress tomorrow...

Merry xmas fellas. Nice conversing with you this past year, wherever on the planet you may be.

I also hung up the drinking for a bit. Had to take a good look at myself and then rethink what I was doing. Now I might have one during the week and mainly drink on the weekends. I was up to 12-18 a day. Not a healthy way to be. Figured I’d be in a hole before getting a chance to dance with my daughters at their weddings. So, cold turkey for a good 6 months and now just try to find other outlets for my ............ “energy”

I'm hearing you Matt, I was the same = drank like it was the last drink on earth, bloody hopeless, I've been pretty good to be honest the other day was the worst I've been since stopping. I have a few here and there but haven't felt like drinking that much again which is great, I will try and give it up again in the next mth as I really don't want to go back to the way I was.

That ain't no joke :eek:.
I've split a good amount of ash, when it's easy it's easy, but when it isn't you will think your going to pop welds on the hydraulic splitter :surprised3:.

Sounds like some of the stuff I split here, it goes off with a real bang to point you think you broke something on the log splitter LOL

Canola oil can harden, if left in place, leading to problems. Bet to flush it out with Dino oil if your saw is gonna sit for a while.

Philbert

Yeah I left bottle of cooking oil out in winter and it solidifies so I would say that's what causes that issue, I'm sure it would be fine in warmer climates.

Back