Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Canola will “dry” if left out in open air and leave a sticky mess. My turkey cooker is covered in goo from oil that bubbled out of the top even in the spots where it wasn’t cooked on.

I would have a problem running it in a saw but I’d definitely clean it out and re-prime with regular bar oil if it was going to sit at all.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, so put your fingers in your ears, and hand me a bar of the strongest soap you can find to wash my mouth out. I've been taking the wood home, splitting, and stacking to sell. When I got to the last two pieces on the trailer, they were about 30" with a 10" hole in the middle, full of ants. Well, after several days of hard freezes, the ants were gone, maybe the neighbors chickens found them. It doesn't seem to last long on the ground.

free range and bugs, makes great yolks! from my fav flock just other day... tangerine orange... thick like heavy cream...
P6020004.JPG

I cut oak as there is a lot of it around these parts, but more and more I prefer ash, birch, etc. Seasons better, abundant, easy to work with.

oak is my go to wood to burn. rains oak where I live. drops to trimming. no shortage up at farm, too. cords of it. some cut, stacked... and some just waiting.

I think that it is more of an oxidation reaction than a temperature thing. Several threads about it, and other 'bio-oils'. Most advise against letting it sit in your saws for extended periods. Philbert

did some French fries in cooking oil yesterday. thought about bar lube as I poured it into container. decided to dispose of it. besides, just got a new full gallon of stihl bar lube to go with the partial I have...

Canola will “dry” if left out in open air and leave a sticky mess. My turkey cooker is covered in goo from oil that bubbled out of the top even in the spots where it wasn’t cooked on. I would have a problem running it in a saw but I’d definitely clean it out and re-prime with regular bar oil if it was going to sit at all.

we 'inherited' a used once turkey cooker. pretty clean and shiny. from SIL. but haven't used it. doubt I will. for same reasons...

we 'inherited' a used once turkey cooker. pretty clean and shiny. from SIL. but haven't used it. doubt I will. for same reasons...
Fried turkey is delicious but a mess.

I sold all of my fryer stuff last spring. A few months later I found an almost identical fryer kit on the “free” pile at the transfer station so I brought it home.

Hey guys, a bit of sad news. I know some of you follow multiple saw forums and Facebook pages. Arnold Whisnant who was a long time Homelite employee was very active on the Homelite FB passed away last night after receiving an unexpected cancer diagnosis earlier in December. Please send up a prayer if you have one.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, so put your fingers in your ears, and hand me a bar of the strongest soap you can find to wash my mouth out. I may have to re evaluate my opinion on Ash as a firewood. My friend has 60 some dead Ash on her farm, most are leaning over a fence that keep her cattle out of a local river. Where I cut it, I can leave all the scraps, no clean up. One of my old UPS buddies asked if I could hook him up with some firewood, sure. So, I'm marking and cutting, and he's rolling rounds on my trailer. I've been taking the wood home, splitting, and stacking to sell. When I got to the last two pieces on the trailer, they were about 30" with a 10" hole in the middle, full of ants. Well, after several days of hard freezes, the ants were gone, maybe the neighbors chickens found them. I had them on the small trailer to take down to the burn pile. Even with the chains on the tractor the hill was too icy, and I needed the trailer, so I took it to the front porch and started loading it into the stove. Figured it would only be a couple hours and it would be gone. The chunks were split big for the fire pit, so only one piece would fit in the stove at a time. It was about 5 oclock and we were heading to a friends for dinner, and some one said , put more wood on the fire, we won't be home till midnight. I opened the door and another piece wouldn't fit. Got home around 12 and the fire had burned down just enough to get the other big piece in. The next morning it had burned down just enough to fill it again. I knew Ash burned hot, but got a much longer burn time than I expected. maybe I'll stockpile my Oak and switch to Ash while it's available. It doesn't seem to last long on the ground.
Nothing like a piece of ash to keep you warm Joe. :surprised3: At the firewood auction today most of the 10 loads there were ash.

Firewood auction?
Hay and firewood auction every week. Run by the Mennonites. Most firewood comes through October to March. All size loads and types of wood. Some green some ready to burn. Prices all over the place. Pics are from last March.
20190319_100033.jpg
20190319_100011_001.jpg

I think that it is more of an oxidation reaction than a temperature thing. Several threads about it, and other 'bio-oils'. Most advise against letting it sit in your saws for extended periods.

Philbert

Thanks for that Philbert, I will have to have a bit of a look around and see what's what. I did have some bar oil here last year that got a bit thick over the winter period (was hard to get out of the bottle) but it was fine through the warmer mths, haven't seen that before with any of my other bar oils I've used.

Thanks for that Philbert, I will have to have a bit of a look around and see what's what.
A lot of guys like the canola oil and commercial bio-lubes. They just all recommend draining the tank, and flushing some dino-lube through the oiler before storage.

I don't have the experience to tell you how long 'storage' is, but I drain the fuel from my saws if it will be more than a week or so, so I would probably do the same with canola oil. Just a guess. I would cruise through the threads of guys who have tried it (sample links below).

Philbert

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/drying-vs-non-drying-vegetable-oils.308419/

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ok-canola-oil-wth.130724/

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/canola-oil-as-bar-lube.279906/

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/problems-with-canola-as-bar-oil.46139/

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...oil-for-bar-oil-watch-this-think-this.180882/

did some French fries in cooking oil yesterday.
I bought a small, cheap air fryer on 'Black Friday', just to to play with, and so far, have had W A A Y more fun than spending the same $20 at a movie theater!

It is a 2 quart size, so great for single person snacks, cooking, etc. Really good for frozen foods. 'Pot'-style, with basket, is really easy to clean too.

Actually bought a bigger one too, that was more like a large toaster oven, that I figured I could use for chains* if I did not like it (Philbert!) , but someone else wanted it more.

Philbert

*(I dry off chains to prevent rusting, after degreasing some of them with a water based solution, before sharpening. The stand alone oven in my shop would keep me out of the kitchen. https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philbert-meets-the-stihl-rs3.202969/)

I bought a small, cheap air fryer on 'Black Friday', just to to play with, and so far, have had W A A Y more fun than spending the same $20 at a movie theater!

It is a 2 quart size, so great for single person snacks, cooking, etc. Really good for frozen foods. 'Pot'-style, with basket, is really easy to clean too.

Actually bought a bigger one too, that was more like a large toaster oven, that I figured I could use for chains* if I did not like it (Philbert!) , but someone else wanted it more.

Philbert

*(I dry off chains to prevent rusting, after degreasing some of them with a water based solution, before sharpening. The stand alone oven in my shop would keep me out of the kitchen. https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philbert-meets-the-stihl-rs3.202969/)
Do you have an instapot yet?

Latest posts

Back