Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Merry Christmas scroungers! I've just woken up from my post-Christmas lunch snooze.

My great-aunt never married but was given at some point a gold-plated cutlery set. She bequeathed it to my parents in the will who, having little use for it, handballed it on to us. Might as well dust it off for the first time along with Cowgirl's grandma's Christmas crockery.

25th Dec 2.jpg

We have Queenslanders in the house so it was prawns, oysters, Moreton Bay bugs and scallops with some token turkey and other bits and pieces.

25th Dec 3.jpg

25th Dec 1.jpg

A good time had by all. Wishing you all the best for Christmas with your families. :cheers:

A lot of guys like the canola oil and commercial bio-lubes. They just all recommend draining the tank, and flushing some dino-lube through the oiler before storage.

I don't have the experience to tell you how long 'storage' is, but I drain the fuel from my saws if it will be more than a week or so, so I would probably do the same with canola oil. Just a guess. I would cruise through the threads of guys who have tried it (sample links below).

Philbert

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/drying-vs-non-drying-vegetable-oils.308419/

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ok-canola-oil-wth.130724/

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/canola-oil-as-bar-lube.279906/

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/problems-with-canola-as-bar-oil.46139/

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...oil-for-bar-oil-watch-this-think-this.180882/

You must have crap fuel there Philbert if you have to drain it after week! I can have fuel in a saw for a yr and it will run fine, most of my regular saws I use for wood cutting are run out of fuel each wood cutting session (usually finish cutting once the saws stop as that's a ute load anyway) I fill them up again from a jerry can that's had fuel in it for a mth or so anyway, my saws run fine, not sure why you would have to empty anything out after a week! Bloody hell the whipper sniper gets used for about 2mths of the year and then stored away with whatever fuels in it and it fires up just fine.:confused:

Most of you guys will remember the 'barbed wire and brick' Ash I had, they was huge, crotchety, and the most folded grain unsplitable (by hand, but that's all I have) wood to EVER grow on this earth. Hence not a fan. However.... It did dry fast. It did burn hot... Very very hot. I actually don't get much ash at all and don't miss it.... Oak is reliably easy to split.
Perhaps I'll get more ash in the next few years as the UK ash is dieing. Not eab, although that is marching across Europe, sudden ash dieback, a fungus has taken hold.

Merry Christmas scroungers! I've just woken up from my post-Christmas lunch snooze.

My great-aunt never married but was given at some point a gold-plated cutlery set. She bequeathed it to my parents in the will who, having little use for it, handballed it on to us. Might as well dust it off for the first time along with Cowgirl's grandma's Christmas crockery.

View attachment 782701

We have Queenslanders in the house so it was prawns, oysters, Moreton Bay bugs and scallops with some token turkey and other bits and pieces.

View attachment 782703

View attachment 782702

A good time had by all. Wishing you all the best for Christmas with your families. :cheers:

Are we related somehow?

View attachment 782701

View attachment 782703

View attachment 782702

Very nice. We have a set from my gg aunt as well.

Very Merry Christmas to all!

Have silver here.. None of my kids want it passed down. 1-daughter in law likes to polish silver so there is hope yet
? paper an plastic here to pass down/around... no worth other than heat when close to the fire with all the family and friends... keep warm thoughts and memories! lol

You must have crap fuel there Philbert if you have to drain it after week!
The gasoline is blended for automobiles, not small engines. After about 30 to 60 days, or so, some components start to separate.

Fuel problems are one of the biggest issues here, and something easy to avoid with reasonable care. So I work defensively.

I buy ethanol-free fuel when I can, and use a good quality mix oil with fuel stabilizer. I date label the container, and after 30 days it goes into my car if not used up.

The saws I drain frequently, because it's so easy to think, "Oh I will use that again soon", and then forget about them for a few months. So it's just easier for me to drain them more frequently, and add fuel later if I need to.

For my snow blower, I buy good quality, ethanol-free fuel, add stabilizer, and keep that all winter. The carburetor is more forgiving.

Philbert

My mom sold her newer (ca 1970’s) China to an antique dealer. He paid her $3500 so I can only imagine what he marked it up to.

I have my great great aunt’s china as well as the set that came with our cabin stored under the bed at my cabin till I can scrounge up a good dish cabinet to hold it.

I sold my mom’s sterling silverware to a coin/collectible dealer. I believe he was going to sell it as scrap. I have dozens of antique silverplate flatware.

Very Merry Christmas to all!

Have silver here.. None of my kids want it passed down. 1-daughter in law likes to polish silver so there is hope yet

many wife has her Grandma’s silver. Her sisters passed. She’s the youngest of four girls, kinda amazed she got it

Merry Christmas guys.
On the way back from the inlaws I saw a 5" round laying on the ground, the car was pretty full though I was tempted to get my Christmas scrounge on lol.
I managed to hit the zero club today, got home and walked into the house and it felt a bit chilly, at least the sun was shinning outside :havingarest:.
Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 12.41.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 12.41.25 PM.png
Then we had some tree problems at the house too:laughing:.
Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 12.41.53 PM.png

The gasoline is blended for automobiles, not small engines. After about 30 to 60 days, or so, some components start to separate.

Fuel problems are one of the biggest issues here, and something easy to avoid with reasonable care. So I work defensively.

I buy ethanol-free fuel when I can, and use a good quality mix oil with fuel stabilizer. I date label the container, and after 30 days it goes into my car if not used up.

The saws I drain frequently, because it's so easy to think, "Oh I will use that again soon", and then forget about them for a few months. So it's just easier for me to drain them more frequently, and add fuel later if I need to.

For my snow blower, I buy good quality, ethanol-free fuel, add stabilizer, and keep that all winter. The carburetor is more forgiving.

Philbert

Doesn't sound like much fun mate, the fuel must be fairly ordinary where you are by the sounds of it. I won't use any ethanol blends either and you are right about fuels these days they certainly aren't what they used to be that's for sure, the old days you could leave fuel in anything and go back a year or 2 later and start them up no problems at all, with all these additives in fuel now it seems to cause no end of trouble if left in carbies for too long, we see it all the time at my mates workshop, stuff that hasn't been run in quite a while always seem to need the carby stripped and cleaned (it leaves a real fine yellow/green powder residue in the bowl which then comes off with fresh fuel and blocks the jets and the other thing is it seems like the newer fuel will eat up fuel lines, not sure if it's the fuel or the fuel lines these days but they don't last like they used to that's for sure.

Back