Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or.... get a 345(blown top end) , a 350 mid plate on it and a 346 p/c and BOOM instant fun saw! It’s all orange, makes smiles, can be built cheaper than buying either the 241 or 261

@chipper1 tell him I’m not lying
Did you see the two saws in my last post ;)

Was going to move my hydro splitter to the back near the wood today, but it is just too wet. So I just grabbed the X-27 and focused on Oak and Hickory. I'll leave the Maple, Black Birch and Beech for the hydro when I get it back there.

My list for easiest to split straight grain wood includes Ash, Black Walnut, Oak and Hickory. Black Cherry is often not bad.

On the other end of the spectrum are Elm, Norway Maple, and Black Birch.

I had some black birch this spring that would rather sheer than split, splitter had no trouble only a few creaks and pings for the big pieces with notches. And the rest of it was still rough looking. Great burning I must say, lasts a long time. The picture is one of the pieces that split nicely.
004.JPG

You two are not helping! I just finally settled on the 261...

You won’t be disappointed, no joke I use mine with an 18” bar in hardwood felling bucking noodling limbing. It’s my 1 saw plan. Still hard to believe how much power this 50cc has. I guess I could use a 461, but the 261 really does all I have asked of it and with ease. If it cut any faster it would be scary, wait did I just say that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or.... get a 345(blown top end) , a 350 mid plate on it and a 346 p/c and BOOM instant fun saw! It’s all orange, makes smiles, can be built cheaper than buying either the 241 or 261

@chipper1 tell him I’m not lying
I just sold the 2145 I ran in pitchy wood for 3.5yrs, was a fun saw. It had a ported AM 346 cylinder, let it go for 275 plus shipping.
The jreds are the "huskys" I suggest to guys who are more into stihls, many like the straight handlebar on them. What's great about the newer stihls is that they are becoming more husky like in that aspect as well, nice they are getting more ergonomic/husky like.
While they are good saws I'm not a fan of the top cover screws for getting to the air filter, I'd rather use the stihl type or the clips like on a 450/353/346, and the jred cousins myself. Theres a reason I'm not into the 2 series huskys much even though they are great saws.
The 241 would be a better saw for her as it's very refined and the picco chain runs very smooth, it's also a saw that would never be a problem to sell if she decided she wanted a bigger saw.
All that being said, I'd grab up a used makita 4300 from Home Depot for here for 160-180, hard to beat for this application.
Besides it goes against all the other options and many times I seem to be that guy :laugh:.

My saws will be at the CT GTG on 4/18 if anyone wants to run any of them.

Perhaps I can drag a Nephew with me, I donno! He has never run my current Asian 660 … it will wake him up!

Did you fix your 262 yet???
I've run most of your saws at one GTG or another. I'll take one of each.

And dont bore a 1 inch hole in two 1/4 plates tacked together in your basement with transmisson fluid. I could see the smoke and got a good "let's not do that again " from SWMBO.

Also don't start a saw in the basemen while standing under a fire alarm....don't ask how I know.

Beg to differ. The 241 is perfect as a trail saw, is a little weapon with an easy to do MM and timing advance, fits better into any plan that aims to keep the 361, and most importantly (and playing the long game), is going to be a better fit for the Mrs. We are extremely fortunate to be given a shot to get the Mrs on the CAD wagon so it's crucial we don't blow the opportunity and the 241 is a perfect saw for that while still being capable. It could pay dividends in the long run. She gets used to it and starts burying the 16" picco bar into denser timbers and wants more power. Well, then she can be ntroduced to the world of mods and when she wants more (as every addict does) it's onto the 261, and by then there's no going back. Call the 241 the perfect gateway saw.

I love my 241. I mean, Cowgirl loves her 241. Got it from Randy, new and freshly ported. Sure, it took him rather longer to do it than he said it would but it screams. It has made my 460 almost redundant. That is not to say that it can cope with the bigger stuff that the 460 can because it cannot. But there is such a narrow range between what I will use the 241 with before I reach for the 661 that I generally bypass the 460 now if I'm working my way along a long log. With the 16in bar, I'll cut up to 18 inch wood before I grab the 661 to continue on. I got the 241 for the lightness but (ported) it has way exceeded my expectations. I wouldn't sell the 460 because it gives me extra man-cred when I'm talking to other blokes about chainsaws but it is now my least used saw.

I bought a new 241 for my old man recently and it came with semi-chisel instead of the full chisel 0.325 chain I asked for. I put a tank through it and wasn't that excited as it was spinning way fewer revs than my 241 (understandably). But that was first tank out of the box and after more use and with full chisel chain it will kick some aussie eucalpyt butt for Dad.

Hey @muad ask @farmer steve if his is for sale.......

If I was a Stihl guy that’s who’d I’d be talking to. But I prefer all orange.... ya know, Swedish gals are 10x hotter than German ladies
Like your Uncle said Matt, some guys sell a saw and regret it and I know that would be me. I think @muad will be good with his 3 saw plan. For now.:innocent:

I love my 241. I mean, Cowgirl loves her 241. Got it from Randy, new and freshly ported. Sure, it took him rather longer to do it than he said it would but it screams. It has made my 460 almost redundant. That is not to say that it can cope with the bigger stuff that the 460 can because it cannot. But there is such a narrow range between what I will use the 241 with before I reach for the 661 that I generally bypass the 460 now if I'm working my way along a long log. With the 16in bar, I'll cut up to 18 inch wood before I grab the 661 to continue on. I got the 241 for the lightness but (ported) it has way exceeded my expectations. I wouldn't sell the 460 because it gives me extra man-cred when I'm talking to other blokes about chainsaws but it is now my least used saw.

I bought a new 241 for my old man recently and it came with semi-chisel instead of the full chisel 0.325 chain I asked for. I put a tank through it and wasn't that excited as it was spinning way fewer revs than my 241 (understandably). But that was first tank out of the box and after more use and with full chisel chain it will kick some aussie eucalpyt butt for Dad.
I run the 16"picco on my 241 and it's a screamer.

well I hate to say it, but I haven't burnt a stick of wood all winter. I did haul a cord to my buddy that is fighting cancer. He has about burnt all of it so I may have to take him another load pretty soon. Looks like a early spring here, already seeing buds on the trees.
safe_image.php

Back