Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Be Stihl it’s been years since I rebuilt one, but that sun shell always made you have to throw it into manual 1 to move and it only had 1,2 gears. They have a band for reverse. Either the band is cooked or the seals for the apply piston are shot and it’s not holding pressure. I’ve been in the office 6 years now so it took awhile to come back....

Thanks so much. I have a rebuild kit that has the piston included with new clutches and lots of other seals. So with two tranny’s and the kit hopefully I have enough to make a working unit. A new filter, fluid and torque converter will be installed. I can swing all this for around $500 if I do the labor, just can’t justify putting $1600 in a truck worth the same!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone ever had a logging service in for a select cut? I have a guy coming Monday to give me a quote for some of my trees. I have some nice, tall, straight red oaks, black walnut, etc. that I’d like to sell. Never done this before, and don’t know the market.

Hoping to make a nice chunk for farm needs this year.

Has anyone ever had a logging service in for a select cut? I have a guy coming Monday to give me a quote for some of my trees. I have some nice, tall, straight red oaks, black walnut, etc. that I’d like to sell. Never done this before, and don’t know the market.

Get a good forester service in to look at your trees. They will tell you what you have and what to expect. Some places work with you and put your trees up for bid. They usually get a percentage but you end up with the highest bid for your wood. Also you have final say in how your woodlot is left after they are done. Loggers don't get paid until you sign off you are satisfied. May be different in your neck of the woods but that's how most landowners do it around here.

That thing cuts like mad!

especially in time lapse! Lol
time lapse makes everything look fast and easy. Should have done a couple in real time..But yeah, no complaints about this beastly dolly. Made short work of that tree. That was 28” EXL full comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a good forester service in to look at your trees. They will tell you what you have and what to expect. Some places work with you and put your trees up for bid. They usually get a percentage but you end up with the highest bid for your wood. Also you have final say in how your woodlot is left after they are done. Loggers don't get paid until you sign off you are satisfied. May be different in your neck of the woods but that's how most landowners do it around here.

Yes. The only way to go.

Thanks for the wisdom. This place is also a mill, so they said they have a market for any type of wood. Family owned, and seem to have good reviews. They’re about 70 miles away, so I was surprised they’d want to come this far.

There are good people out there but you really need to be careful.

I’d echo the other guys and get a forester in there as well as a couple of quotes.

Get a good forester service in to look at your trees. They will tell you what you have and what to expect.
Agreed. I just finished reading Managing Your Woods, and they specifically warn against a diameter-limit cut and a tree-grade cut. These take all the best trees that are the seeds of the future of your woodlands. Also some good info on contract pitfalls, skidding trails, good/bad logging, and lots more. Probably need to start with a management plan; what do you want your forest to be in 10, 20, 30 or more years. It's worth checking into state and local government forester resources as a start.

Agreed. I just finished reading Managing Your Woods, and they specifically warn against a diameter-limit cut and a tree-grade cut. These take all the best trees that are the seeds of the future of your woodlands. Also some good info on contract pitfalls, skidding trails, good/bad logging, and lots more. Probably need to start with a management plan; what do you want your forest to be in 10, 20, 30 or more years. It's worth checking into state and local government forester resources as a start.
Thanks for the info.

You make some excellent points.

There are good people out there but you really need to be careful.

I’d echo the other guys and get a forester in there as well as a couple of quotes.

I had the forestry service out when I bought the place to put the land into a program to save on taxes. I would like to promote the growth of the sugar maples, as at some point I want to build a sugar shack. The one part of the woods is just loaded with sugar maple.

My master tech has corrected me, no reverse is the reaction shell. And he did confirm again that all 4L 60 transmissions are junk

I'm gonna pull the tranny and send it to the guys that I refer my customers to .
They said that they would look after me, we'll see what that means Lol
I can get them used for 350/400$, trucks rot away up here faster than the trannys blow up .

1F out there, 72 in here on scrounged spruce :)

Latest posts

Back