Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 69 340 Swinger I raced, pretty stock, headers, intake, carb, and warm cam. With 489 gears. I shifted at 9K. Was kind of trying to see where it would pop, but it never did. With 9 inch cheater slicks it still couldn't hook up, spun in all 4 gears. Brought 10 inch wrinkle walls one time and the tech guys failed me. They came off my 67 Cuda. The Cuda had slightly wider wheel wells than the slab sided Swingers. So, I never got to make a pass with tires that would hook. Got a lot of cheers from the crowd at the fence. I always sold my cars in the fall when racing season was over to get a new faster car. Then in winter work would slow down a little and I'd be too broke to tweak out the new car. I never got to run the front engine dragster I built. I did the engine and put a short tail shaft kit in a 727. Sold the car to my little sisters boy friend. He put a best pass on it in the 9's at 168 MPH, and he had the balls to straddle that U joint from the trans to the rear. That one was running 513 gears.

With the old school cars and a stick shift, with street tires, when you start getting North of 400 HP, the driver becomes the most important asset.

I despise the fact that with these new cars with all their electronic controls, and idiot can run a fast time, no shifting required!
So true . I have seen a few lose it while showboating their new 700 + hp cars. Usually happens leaving a show. They turn off the traction control and proceed to fish tail into a guard rail or hit another car. I wait till just about everyone is gone to leave. When I go to the Syracuse nationals I take the car on the trailer with my mom's motorhome she enjoys the show. Camp right in the show grounds. Saw a guy doing some burn outs and donuts in the show lot one evening sure there was alcohol involved he slammed into a Jersey barrier. Really jacked his car. And the sign was down when I got there. Guessing someone came a bit to close with a motorhome negotiating the turn

20170715_193443.jpg

County plow right in front of where I work. I walk to work and on the way by the driver rolls down the window and jokingly asked for a push. Lol. We cleared the road with the 9' blower from work but the plow truck is out of our league!
7b1530ca696ba70dec495aaed18f121b.jpg
14426fe51cc29f72e0eba9668fecf94d.jpg
fb375b19cc07743acdbb0638c2dc3f25.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

One of my old bosses is high school rebuilt/custom built a '68 Camaro. It's a gorgeous car! Dark red with white wide white stripes up the center of it. Aluminum rally wheels. He's retired, but always goes to cruise ins. He's had it at the Super Chevy show in Indy. He's never said what engine it has, but it looks like it's been shoe horned under the hood. Totally built too. He ran a little grocery store, said he'll never tell his wife how much money he really has in that car. The interior is gray, all custom. Under the trunk he has carpet under the lid. In cursive it says Camaro.

I was more around trucks growing up. A friend in high school and his dad built a '79 F150 4x4, and all us friends. I swear I worked on it more than he did. Ground up build combining about 3 or 4 parts trucks. It had a bored 400 in it. C6 transmission. It was a beautiful blue color. I loved that truck. Not sure what ever happened to it. He eventually didn't get along with his dad. Then his dad was murdered in his own driveway. Pulled in his driveway after work and caught someone stealing his four wheeler and the guy shot him. He was like a dad to me in high school.

Hard to know what's in a mixed breed dog. Our new puppy (now 8 months old) appears to be part border collie, some kind of hound, and either beaver or billy goat.

He systematically eradicated about 75 feet of thick raspberry bushes, digging down to the roots in the frozen earth. Then he turned his attention to our large lilac hedge, pulling down and chewing off branches up to 4 feet high. He proudly parades his quarry around the yard for a victory lap, throws it up in the air, and repeatedly pounces on it like prey in the snow.

Putting up a fence in the middle of winter is a bit of a challenge. Boiling water and a sledgehammer to set a few of the posts.
IMG_4363.JPG

Philbert

It splits well as long as you hit the exact same spot, otherwise it will start a new straight split, with smaller thorns like a rose stem. Honey on the other hand has a crisscrossed grain to it and the very large thorns.
Black locust :sweet:.
Just put this in my woodshed for next yr:blob2:.
View attachment 801593 Mullberry.
View attachment 801594
Honey locust, great wood if not for the thorns :eek:, and the difficulty splitting(this was a giveaway).
View attachment 801596

Black locusts is king above all!![emoji123][emoji123][emoji123][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

That honey locusts is a bit of a pain when axe splitting. But ill take it over cotton wood[emoji23].

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

County plow right in front of where I work. I walk to work and on the way by the driver rolls down the window and jokingly asked for a push. Lol. We cleared the road with the 9' blower from work but the plow truck is out of our league!
7b1530ca696ba70dec495aaed18f121b.jpg
14426fe51cc29f72e0eba9668fecf94d.jpg
fb375b19cc07743acdbb0638c2dc3f25.jpg

Did I read correctly, you walk to work in that... I’d be strapping on the XC skies.
BTW Jeff how’s that work mate who got caught up on the machinery?

2 ft of snow and it's still snowing. Very localized squall off the lake. Cantoo got more down by him. We are in the open and windswept so it's not too bad but places that have a lot of trees got the biggest accumulation. Most highways closed since Thursday and we had 2 plow trucks in the ditch on my road because of the drifting. Going to go out and enjoy it on my snowscooter!

Did I read correctly, you walk to work in that... I’d be strapping on the XC skies.
BTW how’s that work mate who got caught up on the machinery going?
He is still in the hospital, was doing well in recovery but had a setback with infection in one leg. There is a lot of metal in him but he has all his arms and legs and a good attitude. It was a heck of a thing to witness.
The snow amount is normal for the season but we got it all at once!

We got a pile of snow for sure, most of it was swirling around in the air though. I have 8' snow drifts behind my barn. Went to Chesley to pick up my Grandson for the weekend and had to stop at the world famous Miller Mall in Holyrood for ice cream. Took 1 1/2 hrs for a 1 hour trip.

Attachments

• 20200228_161437.jpg
    20200228_161437.jpg
    912.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200228_132418.jpg
    20200228_132418.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 20200228_132411.jpg
    20200228_132411.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 20200228_132410.jpg
    20200228_132410.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
Lost my firewood helper almost 2 years ago (@14 yrs, 4mo)View attachment 802056
Decided enough time has passed to get a new helper.....

View attachment 802061
Great looking new firewood helper!:)

My firewood helper is getting up there but still gets around good 450DC607-C201-423E-9078-0EA89C031C89.jpegFound some nice looking additions but they were a little spendy09C25E8B-1393-4D6A-8DE0-483C697D8920.jpeg

Almost 50* here today, pretty nice out. Went for a little wood scouting rideEAF85AFF-C5D1-40CD-A37B-F7A5FD06C176.jpegFound some good prospects for this spring.

Back