Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the truck has a failed lifter. Darn roller lifters appear to need the intake pulled to get the lifter retainer off. But I guess it’s a pretty straightforward project and the weather is supposed to be warm.

I’m going to make some cookies with the various saws this afternoon and haul some wood. I’ll worry about the intake removal tomorrow.
Sorry to hear about new project you have on your hands.

The wife’s expedition is still down; well actually the brakes aren’t seized up anymore, but I don’t trust it for her and the kids to drive.

Need to get it over the my FIL’s so he can inspect everything. Had to drive the F350 a couple of times last week, she was getting maybe 7.5-8 miles per gallon with the four-wheel-drive hubs locked, just in case I needed the 4 x 4 in this snow we got. Was painful watching the gas gauge move so quick.

Nice score!

I have to admit, looking at all the posts of you guys splitting with mauls and axes, I feel like I’m lazy using a splitter. I split by hand for many years before my grandpa gave me his old splitter; haven’t really used and axe or maul since. LOL

Nothing like the crack with a one hit split with a maul/axe.

Great looking new firewood helper!:)

My firewood helper is getting up there but still gets around good View attachment 802279Found some nice looking additions but they were a little spendyView attachment 802280

Almost 50* here today, pretty nice out. Went for a little wood scouting rideView attachment 802282Found some good prospects for this spring.

I see you are an arctic cat man[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji41]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Well, the 241 is home! She’s a purdy little saw.

Couple things I was a little bummed about, at no fault to the fine gentleman I bought it from.

View attachment 802338
View attachment 802336 View attachment 802337

1. I figured it’d have a little “thicker” bar, instead of a similar bar to the Wife’s 180C.
2. I was hoping it had a “sprocket” like my other pro series saws. Looking at the manual, it looks like I can swap it out though.

Hoping to get some cuts in today while it’s still cold. Supposed to get up to 50 the next couple days.

Being my first new saw in a long time, as in brand new, do I need to break this thing in any special way? Other than putting it to work bucking some logs?

Nice saw[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji41]

Use that OEM sprocket up first. Not need to waste money to replace something that already works..

And as said before, warm up is VERY important. I like a good 2 minutes of warm up before the hot laps. Then off to the races

JMO

Couple things I was a little bummed about, at no fault to the fine gentleman I bought it from.

View attachment 802338

1. I figured it’d have a little “thicker” bar, instead of a similar bar to the Wife’s 180C.
2. I was hoping it had a “sprocket” like my other pro series saws. Looking at the manual, it looks like I can swap it out though.

Hoping to get some cuts in today while it’s still cold. Supposed to get up to 50 the next couple days.

Being my first new saw in a long time, as in brand new, do I need to break this thing in any special way? Other than putting it to work bucking some logs?

My Mtronic 441 manual had a rather explicit first start sequence which included not runnin WOT ...which the dealer shot in the azz by revving it no-load right off the shelf. Dicn't seem to urt it but why do they do that to a new saw?...expecially one that says not to do it.

Congrats.
That little bar is pretty tough, and that narrow kerf on the picco chains slices through wood easily. I think picco chain makes a saw cut a good bit higher than its actual cc size would indicate. I think its nice that those two saws share bars, if you ever have a problem with one you can swap them out as they are both 3005 mount saws. Another benefit of the 3005 bars and the picco chain setup is that it is much lighter than the 3003 mount and a 325 or 3/8 standard chain.t.

I also find that the picco chain cuts really well and stays sharp longer than one would expect.

Its appears that our little storm wasn't over after I spent 2 1/2 hrs moving snow yesterday. Just spent another 2 1/2 moving more again today. And just now wasted 2 hours humming and hawing about making a path to the bush before this crap starts to melt and makes a real mess. I got lots to do but was hoping to spend a bit of time at least driving around the bush this weekend. We have 8' drifts everywhere and the snow underneath is really hard so easy to get stuck. My snow blower is buried on my fenceline somewhere and way too much snow to move to even get to it. Weather is warming up as I type so supposed to melt in a few days.

Attachments

• 20200229_121758.jpg
    20200229_121758.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • 20200229_121801.jpg
    20200229_121801.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 20200229_121803.jpg
    20200229_121803.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • 20200229_121845.jpg
    20200229_121845.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 20200229_121903.jpg
    20200229_121903.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Rant. I made up a few cookie cutting videos which I uploaded to YouTube for y’alls viewing.

A few minutes later I get an email that my YT account has been terminated for multiple violations. To add insult to injury I can appeal but I need the link to my videos which I cannot get because my account is closed.

I’ve never had a violation on there and my channel includes saw videos, birds/animals eating from my hand, and one video from an air show. And I only actively follow chipper1, huskil, and buckin billy Ray. And my very few comments were always positive.

Go figure.

Rant. I made up a few cookie cutting videos which I uploaded to YouTube for y’alls viewing.

A few minutes later I get an email that my YT account has been terminated for multiple violations. To add insult to injury I can appeal but I need the link to my videos which I cannot get because my account is closed.

I’ve never had a violation on there and my channel includes saw videos, birds/animals eating from my hand, and one video from an air show. And I only actively follow chipper1, huskil, and buckin billy Ray. And my very few comments were always positive.

Go figure.
That's lame as all...

I see you are an arctic cat man[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji41]

Actually the skidoo is mine. Kitty cats are ok though;). That one goes pretty good, my buddy modified it quite a bit. It’s detuned enough to run prem pump gas now instead of avgas, used to be 200+ hp

View attachment 802338

The spur has 6t so more torque than with the 7t rim .
At 7t chain speed is what you gain but you need a lighter hand .
I run the 6t .

Go figure.

You must have liked a couple conservative videos.

Go figure.
Darn it! That’s no good! Sorry to hear. Friend of mine that has his own business had so much trouble he closed all online stuff, got rid of his cell phone and only has land line now.

These look interesting, all in one toolhttps://www.amazon.com/LogOX-Log-Splitter-and-Accessories/dp/B081K94RFB
Anyone ever tried one?
Kinda spendy:surprised3:

Had a bit of time this afternoon so I figured I'd try and get a stick or 2
Nice out but when I get there

8FPVsr9.jpg

Daum snow squall .
But as fast as it came it was gone :)
U1jBBrf.jpg
o6Jp55e.jpg
8fnzYLK.jpg

A fast small load , nothing glorious but it's in the furnace right now keeping the house at 72 with the draft closed :)

Latest posts

Back