Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another sample from teh same site,,, I've cut it before, can't picture it with leaves tho!!! Any idea what it is? splits real easy...
Thanks...

Looks like a maple. When they are smaller it can be impossible to identify without leaves. If it was where I cut it would either be a sugar or red maple and your has the same character traits.

Also the maple are dripping right now so if you cut one make sure not to let it sit for a year. They will rot. I cut two yesterday and the sap was pouring out.
Thanks for the replies,,, I believe its Maple of some type but I don't know which one... I just came back from that site and cut up a bunch more of it,,, some Maple leaves around , but it was a utility clear cut for teh wires,,, all kinds of trees...
Here's an end grain pic of some bigger blocks... the rest I cut was Locust....
As for rot, yep,, some maple needs to be burned same year its cut,, I got a lot of Silver Maple last summer and used it up thru January...
Sorry for the rough end cuts,, this stuff is piled as it was dropped,,, had to re position the saw on every cut...

Attachments

• PA030072.JPG
    PA030072.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 19
  • PA030073.JPG
    PA030073.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 19
My best line, to avoid illegal drug use, was in response to "Are you afraid you won't like it?" was "No, I'm afraid I will like it"!!!

When I got married I just resolved to drink far less … was a good decision.
Well said.

I have far too addictive of a personality to get into that. Same reason why I don’t chew or smoke.

That concrete slab Matt posted of North Mt Beacon was where the pavilion was after you went up the Beacon Inclined Railway, which was once the steepest railway in the world.

I remember going up it when I was a kid, and there was just Ferry service across the Hudson where the Beacon - Newburg Bridge is now.

It was built and operated by the Otis Elevator family, and was counter-balanced. When one car went up, one came down, and vice versa.

I remember it was steep enough to scare me. The views were great, as the mountains seemed to take a break to the North of that point resulting in great views of the Hudson and the valley. Looking North you can see the Gunks (which are Lime Stone and were formed by an earthquake) and the Catskills beyond them.

What model is that, I can’t zoom on it.
365 XT
Going to look at this tomorrow. What's a fair offer if she's decent?
View attachment 803092
How much are they asking. Does it come with the old handle and dawgs. What's the duct tape on the top cover.
$400 with the bar and chain, if the B&C are in decent shape, and the saw runs well would be a reasonable price on it to me if all was well.
Be sure to pull that top cover off and see what the neck of the air filter holder looks like, if the air filter cover is duct taped on it may not have been cleaned frequently.

Back