Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are those weird trees in the background? They don't belong there surely?

There's a claret ash (the colourful one) then the other deciduous tree and the sprucey/firry tree are the neighbour's. A few peppermints standing behind those. Only the peppermints grew there without assistance.

You guys are posting way too much for me to keep up with in Tax Season, so I had to skip many pages.

If you posted anything real important you think I should have seen, please PM me. Thanks.
Everyone has been quarantined and we are quite bored, hence the number of posts. :D

Everyone has been quarantined and we are quite bored, hence the number of posts. :D
I'm at work. What's this quarantine thing you speak of. It would take an act of Congress to shut this place down. Medical supplies and food get shipped in are products. If we die we die. But you won't hear about how important we are in the news.

I did a tiny bit of firewood today, kindling. Was getting rid of junk/clutter, and cut up four pallets with my Homelite XL with 16” bar. Old saw, but still works great. Only quirk is don’t run it out of gas, it’ll take forever to get it started again.

Yeap. Our whole country is on lockdown in under 48hrs. Tomorrow schools closed and most businesses. Day after that all non essential businesses closed people staying at home unless emergency or one can go out for supplies. Supermarkets and gas stations staying open, as are chemists and banks. Apart from a few other exemptions, it's isolation for everyone else, for 4 weeks at least. Hopefully we can get on top of it before it gets out of control. A bit like trying to hold back the tide but definitely worth a shot.

yeah, great timing - our horsepiddles barely cope with a normal flu season and now they'll have Chinese flu to cope with also. We recently had a case of such an infected person in a hospital but the staff worked out there were 50 of them that may have had potential exposure to him before he was diagnosed and those staff then had to isolate for two weeks. That's just one case, that took out 50 staff for two weeks. Nuts.

Yesterday, two (of ten) tourists on a helicopter flight to our fox glacier happened to mention they had recently arrived in NZ from Hong Kong. The pilot landed them at the nearest police station instead, to be deported for failing to self-isolate for two weeks. That pilot will likely spend at least the next two weeks in quarantine, the 'copter was disinfected, and the other 8 tourists are potentially infected or at least have had their holidays compromised too. I'll be buying that pilot a beer if I ever run into him.

And it's now official, the country closes all non-essential businesses and is on lockdown in 48 hrs time. **** just got real here.

Yeah, the same here. My PT practice is still allowed to operate but there is another meeting of important men tomorrow and by Wednesday we might get shut down. The nearest confirmed case is 100km away and there's only one of him and he's isolated. Unfortunately for the Cowfamily, the politicians use a broad brush.

Burning eucalyptus noodles and bark from wood that got split today View attachment 809834

Pics of split red gum please...

Yeah, the same here. My PT practice is still allowed to operate but there is another meeting of important men tomorrow and by Wednesday we might get shut down. The nearest confirmed case is 100km away and there's only one of him and he's isolated. Unfortunately for the Cowfamily, the politicians use a broad brush.

Pics of split red gum please...
Hopefully they come up with a way forward for you lot.

I'm eyeing up the neighbours trees. She always said she wanted them down but I've never had the time. Might get onto it once I run out of supplies for the sheltered workshop projects. Wish I could get my tractor (with winch and log forks) back here but no time and the financial controller says we can't afford the $1500 it'll cost to be transported urgently. Fair enough. Might have to return to my one-idiot-ute-logging roots. A ute, for our Northern friends, is a pick-up truck. We call 'em utes down here, short for utility vehicles.

Thought I'd go out and scrounge today since we'll prolly get shut down in a day or two and all I'll be able to do then is go scrounge. You know it makes sense.

Dead standing peppermint over there, about 18 inches at the base.

23rd Mar 1.jpg

He fell down.

23rd Mar 2.jpg

Suspended so I cut him in half and dug out the timberjack.

23rd Mar 3.jpg

Easy work (is it stihl work then?)

23rd Mar 4.jpg

23rd Mar 5.jpg

I loaded up the rest of the splits from the big peppermint log

23rd Mar 6.jpg

Then finished up with some from this one. Prolly stihl a Ranger load left from this tree, maybe more.

23rd Mar 7.jpg

This peppermint could be burned today, bone dry. :sweet:

20°C today, great scrounging weather. This really is the best time of year down here. I'll be out again tomorrow...

:)

I resemble that remark!
As long as your skidder/hauler doesn't start resembling mine.
The first gig for mine was a pine harvesting job of about 800 trees on a very steep slope. 1.5 clutches later it finished that job and in doing so declared itself a keeper. Just under 330k kms now and might be able to handle one last felling gig before retirement. For a petrol 4-banger that hasn't been pampered, it's been a superb work colleague.

No manual, bought as is. I think when I checked it last week the bucket was up and the boom was up. When I checked it yesterday the bucket was on the ground and the boom was down. With the cylinders retracted, that's a couple quarts in the reservoir. I put two quarts in it and that put it on full with the bucket down. With the bucket up, it's just a little low.
Should be checked with all cyclinders retracted and the 3 point in the down position Joe. That pushes all the fluid into the reservoir. Does it have a hydraulic filter on it. Post the make and model again please.

Meanwhile in NZ there are 0.000014% of the population infected by Covoid-19, most will survive............but hey who can believe the NZ Government.
Instead lets rely of the misinformation of the media of all forms.

Arse clown doctor of our nations capital has said there are 4000 cases in Ottawa, then foot in mouth potentially 4000 cases, always works to stir up the masses.
1300ish cases Canada wide and 19 deaths as of 0900 this morning, with a population base of 37,500,000........hmmmm, yet the media and social media are reporting tens of thousands infected here. Likewise who can believe the CDN Government.

Tomorrows another day, be kind, got cut some wood for a neighbour, hell just go outside and play.
It makes me wonder .......we are staring down the barrel of unemployment going from 5.1% to12% here in Aus.
The US will likely be worse. What would it take for politicians to make a decision like that? Surely they wouldn’t fall for fake news. The only answer is a fate which is far worse.
This is the paper which is said to have changed Donald trumps mind. I truely hope it is fake news as the best case scenario is not very nice.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im...-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

It makes me wonder .......we are staring down the barrel of unemployment going from 5.1% to12% here in Aus.
The US will likely be worse. What would it take for politicians to make a decision like that? Surely they wouldn’t fall for fake news. The only answer is a fate which is far worse.
This is the paper which is said to have changed Donald trumps mind. I truely hope it is fake news as the best case scenario is not very nice.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im...-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf
Forecasting 9% by the end of May early June. Seems conservative to me.

Back