Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We start at midnight tomorrow. I think its driving my son B atshit crazy! He just broke up with a gal after 5yrs and now all social places are closed church, gym, bars and so on. So he bought a Glock 45 9mm and stopped by to try it out. 2nd gun this week. Makes me want to buy another saw!

Yep, 2” here today on Ideehoo’s first day of lockdown View attachment 810839
Telemarks coming out.
Here's a couple of the buckets I got today, they were small ones, but I got 4 like this and a couple quad trailers. We dumped a bunch more on the bonfire as well.
Nice sunny day, rare to say the least.
Calling for rain tomorrow. If it isn't raining I'll be out back again.
20200325_165350.jpgIMG_20200325_124747_01.jpg

Found the next closest downed tree, an oak top, on the neighbor's property. It's a little punky on the outside but had a good core. Smells a bit fermented when cutting. Cut several wheelbarrow's worth and brought one home. Sorry @Cowboy254 , I forgot my phone. I'll try to update tomorrow if you think you can wait.

There's another cherry and a highly valuable black walnut top both within spitting distance of the oak.

Found the next closest downed tree, an oak top, on the neighbor's property. It's a little punky on the outside but had a good core. Smells a bit fermented when cutting. Cut several wheelbarrow's worth and brought one home. Sorry @Cowboy254 , I forgot my phone. I'll try to update tomorrow if you think you can wait.

There's another cherry and a highly valuable black walnut top both within spitting distance of the oak.

c'mon! C'mon!! C'MON!!! :crazy2:

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Went back out to Mitch's farm and first loaded up the rest of the rounds from Monday's scrounge.

View attachment 810467

Then got started on the next peppermint that was down.

View attachment 810468

View attachment 810469

The timberjack sure earns its keep with these long skinny peppermints, makes life much easier.

View attachment 810470

View attachment 810473

Love these no split rounds you can just chuck straight in.

View attachment 810474

Also shortened the stump from Monday.

View attachment 810472

Also met some of the residents on the way out.

View attachment 810475

I have a couple more peppermint logs to do then there are three sections of big blue gum which will be much harder. Stihl, I can use the exercise.

:)
Great pictures!! Sure looks nice.

View attachment 810452View attachment 810453
thays nice kiwi I have around 6 cords stack inside the yard and close to the same thrown in piles on the outside

@Plowboy83 , distracted by the red gum though I am, you have some of the blackest soil there I have seen. You should just about be able to grow donuts in that dirt. Cowgirl is jealous.

My grandfather had several lemon trees and lived on the edge of a floodplain near the coast. The soil was a similar colour. After my grandparents died, my parents renovated their house and one of the lemon trees was in the way. Dad dug it out and brought it up to me, but I insisted that he fill the rest of the trailer full of black soil so the lemon tree would feel at home when it came up to me. I dug a deep hole at our place and planted the tree in its native soil. Six years ago, we moved to our current house. I dug a deep hole at the new place, then dug out the lemon tree and all the black soil around it and transplanted it to our new house. It stihl feels like it is at home and thrives. Black dirt rules!

Busting up the rest of the ash that I’ve got down. Got some help today.
b99bb810959cd408eaefd06abe6d05df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iirc @mudstopper is the bradford pear man
Why am I the Bradford Pear Man? I have burnt it and I have a opinion about its use as a fire wood. Bradford pear is tuff on a chain for some reason. It has a twisted grain when trying to split. It is better to split while still green because if it drys out, it don't split, it just breaks off in chunks. It dries fast, cut it this summer and burn the next winter. If you let it season for two winters, you get to burn doughty wood. Stack it on the ground and you can use it for compost in about a year. Burns hot once dry, but not worth any extra effort to scrounge. I load it up and use it if its part of a good scrounge or better wood, but wouldn't run across town for a free truck load. Get paid to remove the tree and then burn up the wood, then its worth it. Otherwise, I pass

I wish you had replied sooner. I did just that. Go out of my way to scrounge the pile yesterday for Bradford Pear.:( I saw the BTUs of it and thought it would be worth it. Silly me. I went for the Pear because it was on top and left 3 nice Mulberry logs on the bottom which I was going to get today. The only problem is the tree guy burned it today. Damn!

Well all of the downed trees in the neighbor's wood lot are not exactly living up to their names. The oak is not as strong as an oak, the cherry is not cherry, however the black walnut it turns out IS highly valuable. The oak and cherry are a bit punky, but the black walnut is pretty darn solid. They have all been down but off the ground for the same amount of time and all still have bark on. New respect for the highly valuable black walnut (I always thought it was a decent wood for the OWB and never turned it away.)20200326_162118.jpg
20200326_162141.jpg

Well all of the downed trees in the neighbor's wood lot are not exactly living up to their names. The oak is not as strong as an oak, the cherry is not cherry, however the black walnut it turns out IS highly valuable. The oak and cherry are a bit punky, but the black walnut is pretty darn solid. They have all been down but off the ground for the same amount of time and all still have bark on. New respect for the highly valuable black walnut (I always thought it was a decent wood for the OWB and never turned it away.)View attachment 811090
View attachment 811091

Iv never had issues with it but also never fill the stove with it. It seems to burn good after a good 2-3 years of drying.

I know it is support to have some small amount of toxins (“they” say) in it but honestly Iv always though the smell was good.[emoji2957]

It holds coals long too.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Well all of the downed trees in the neighbor's wood lot are not exactly living up to their names. The oak is not as strong as an oak, the cherry is not cherry, however the black walnut it turns out IS highly valuable. The oak and cherry are a bit punky, but the black walnut is pretty darn solid. They have all been down but off the ground for the same amount of time and all still have bark on. New respect for the highly valuable black walnut (I always thought it was a decent wood for the OWB and never turned it away.)View attachment 811090
View attachment 811091
I don't see any oak that's cut in those pictures, looks like cottonwood to me.

Back