Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you value Bk Walnut so much? Don't you run into many hardwoods?
No, "highly valuable black walnut" is kind of a running joke here. Lots of home owners think their crooked half dead yard tree hanging over their house is worth thousands of dollars and anyone (insured with hundreds of thousands of dollars in equipment) would be lucky to have it just for taking it down for free.

Da! I fell for it. I have burned it before and thought it was high BTU. Now I cut W. Oak before I hit Bk Walnut. I did have a large Bk Walnut milled into beautiful lumber years ago.
Just watched this again, worth another laugh lol.
Notice they don't use stihls on highly valuable black walnut lol.

Yes I saw that on another forum, makes me laugh. I also enjoy seeing standing yard trees on CL listed for free.
Yep, that's why everyone always pokes fun about them.
If you have the right tree you can get some big money out of them compared to a typical log, but it's nowhere near the prices some homeowners think they will get. I had a buddy get 2500 for 6 trees at his house and they took the 4" and smaller rubbish, he used the rest for firewood, good deal for yard trees which most won't even touch and one had to be dismantled.

Why am I the Bradford Pear Man? I have burnt it and I have a opinion about its use as a fire wood. Bradford pear is tuff on a chain for some reason. It has a twisted grain when trying to split. It is better to split while still green because if it drys out, it don't split, it just breaks off in chunks. It dries fast, cut it this summer and burn the next winter. If you let it season for two winters, you get to burn doughty wood. Stack it on the ground and you can use it for compost in about a year. Burns hot once dry, but not worth any extra effort to scrounge. I load it up and use it if its part of a good scrounge or better wood, but wouldn't run across town for a free truck load. Get paid to remove the tree and then burn up the wood, then its worth it. Otherwise, I pass

that seems a very thorough answer! I remember someone burning a load of it many many many pages ago and thought it was you.

that seems a very thorough answer! I remember someone burning a load of it many many many pages ago and thought it was you.
Bradford pear burns very good and puts out a bunch of heat when dry. I have burnt a ton of it. If the trees don't have to be split, cut it, stack it in the dry, and burn it in your stove. If you cant stack it in the dry, it will rot as fast as anything I have seen. I wont toss it out of the wood pile, but I wont go out of my way to gather it either.

@Plowboy83 , distracted by the red gum though I am, you have some of the blackest soil there I have seen. You should just about be able to grow donuts in that dirt. Cowgirl is jealous.

My grandfather had several lemon trees and lived on the edge of a floodplain near the coast. The soil was a similar colour. After my grandparents died, my parents renovated their house and one of the lemon trees was in the way. Dad dug it out and brought it up to me, but I insisted that he fill the rest of the trailer full of black soil so the lemon tree would feel at home when it came up to me. I dug a deep hole at our place and planted the tree in its native soil. Six years ago, we moved to our current house. I dug a deep hole at the new place, then dug out the lemon tree and all the black soil around it and transplanted it to our new house. It stihl feels like it is at home and thrives. Black dirt rules!
Yeah we do it’s very black dirt around here and it will grow almost everything

Walnut this time. It was a huge tree from looking at the stump. It was close to 4’ I’m guessing forgot to take a pic with my saw on it with 32” bar. Any idea if it’s black or English. I’m guessing English from so much sap wood but not totally sure. Got some logs for milling at the bottom, excited about those since walnut is so easy to cut on. Dumped that and loaded 5 wheelbarrow loads of apple for a customer that uses it for cooking. Unfortunately I got stuck trying to leave and those logs are not stacked so nicely anymore. The wood sure seemed to mold fast after cutting leaving a mold look on it. Any ideas on why it does this. 4E23B37A-20E1-44FB-A479-884655DA41A6.jpegC5EB1D7C-E5F9-40C0-BB26-C7817A6F90F0.jpeg38EA984E-2B1B-47A7-8909-3A7BAF7175CD.jpeg6FED1A9E-F498-41C9-A1F3-17BD57959A2A.jpeg

We have, so far, avoided full lock down here and as our business falls under 'essential' we can stihl work which is a relief, even though our business is down maybe 40%. Many are not so lucky. We are stihl allowed to scrounge though which is the important thing.

I moved some junk stuff to the burn pile then loaded up Wednesday morning's peppermint.

27th Mar 1.jpg

Then I went over to the last remaining skinny peppermint and separated the trunk from the root ball and the trunk then obligingly lifted a few inches off the ground, and continued to gradually lift as I worked about 20ft down the log.

27th Mar 2.jpg

I stood the root ball back up in its hole and lopped off another couple of rounds from it so it's fairly neat and tidy.

27th Mar 3.jpg

Sliced up the log, all today's work was with the 241.

27th Mar 5.jpg

27th Mar 4.jpg

Finished up just before sunset.

27th Mar 6.jpg

Next time out I'll pick up what I cut tonight then it's onto the blue gums and it'll be time to bring the big boys out to play :chainsaw:

:)

We have, so far, avoided full lock down here and as our business falls under 'essential' we can stihl work which is a relief, even though our business is down maybe 40%. Many are not so lucky. We are stihl allowed to scrounge though which is the important thing.

I moved some junk stuff to the burn pile then loaded up Wednesday morning's peppermint.

View attachment 811213

Then I went over to the last remaining skinny peppermint and separated the trunk from the root ball and the trunk then obligingly lifted a few inches off the ground, and continued to gradually lift as I worked about 20ft down the log.

View attachment 811214

I stood the root ball back up in its hole and lopped off another couple of rounds from it so it's fairly neat and tidy.

View attachment 811215

Sliced up the log, all today's work was with the 241.

View attachment 811217

View attachment 811216

Finished up just before sunset.

View attachment 811218

Next time out I'll pick up what I cut tonight then it's onto the blue gums and it'll be time to bring the big boys out to play :chainsaw:

:)
What a great worksite.
That looks like some great wood.
Is the big one behind the truck coming down soon :p.

Latest posts

Back