Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I get the next two weeks basically off. I will be working a few days and we are appointment only. Wild rumor is that it will be extended to May 1st by the Governor but he couldn't do that at the start due to backlash.

My projects will be getting the elevator converted to firewood, cutting and splitting all the logs we have down, and refilling my drying green houses. We'll see how much I am able to accomplish.

Well I get the next two weeks basically off. I will be working a few days and we are appointment only. Wild rumor is that it will be extended to May 1st by the Governor but he couldn't do that at the start due to backlash.

My projects will be getting the elevator converted to firewood, cutting and splitting all the logs we have down, and refilling my drying green houses. We'll see how much I am able to accomplish.
just go ahead and get it all done in a single week ! that way you can go stir-crazy having nothing to do for the following 3 weeks??? …. no way just pick a nice steady couple hours work and save it for another day to keep your sanity, "WHATS LEFT"! LOL

just go ahead and get it all done in a single week ! that way you can go stir-crazy having nothing to do for the following 3 weeks??? …. no way just pick a nice steady couple hours work and save it for another day to keep your sanity, "WHATS LEFT"! LOL

I thought if I work my butt off and finish everything I could fish a little more when the lakes open up. I might try the work hard method...for once :)

I thought if I work my butt off and finish everything I could fish a little more when the lakes open up. I might try the work hard method...for once :)
You should probably get out there right away to see if the fishing is good first, may not be as good the second week lol.

How many years does a round like that take to dry?
From green probably 3 years stacked and covered. This one was standing dead at least 2 years and all but the bottom 3 feet were dry. Not sure why but it seems to dry faster when it dies standing in the woods.

Today work. Courtesy of the 385 [emoji4]

Dead oak and 2 dead ash. The ash was hard leaning the wrong direction and the diameter was not quite big enough to wedge behind the bar. Had to stand the oak rounds up so my boy could hop around on them[emoji23]

It was a bit tricky for me (not super experienced) but I just did standard notch and Beck cut in a few wedges eventually got it over.. there at the end it actually did start to split vertically[emoji51][emoji51][emoji51].

7c04698eb3319a821b895d090480d28a.plist

76d26f54c734e5a7427ce07b578f1b26.jpg

Maybe I could have Brett show me a thing or two about a hard leaner ’s not very large diameter. [emoji16]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Happy birthday, Joe!

What a great worksite.
That looks like some great wood.
Is the big one behind the truck coming down soon :p.

The big candlebark (white gum)? Hopefully! But I won't be cutting it down, Mitch said I could drop the dead standing peppermint but otherwise it's only what's already on the ground :( . But I'm not doing too badly ;) :)

Maybe I could have Brett show me a thing or two about a hard leaner ’s not very large diameter.
They suck. Too easy to bottom out the wedges in the kerf before they provide any lift. I had a job a few years ago of tall, skinny pines I had to fell into a pile for the land owner to burn.
whippyPeckerPolesWeb.jpg

If can't get a rope in or climb 'em, can plunge through from the back cut to the center of the face so the wedge tip has somewhere to go, shorten the wedges, and while I never tried it, there is a product called a felling cone that I quite like the look of.

If looks like it might barber chair, can strap or chain around the log a foot or so above where the cut is going to be. May not stop it but might buy you some time to get outta dodge.

*editing to add* I once watched an old timer start as high up the tree he could reach, plunge a pocket for a wedge, pound one in, then came down a foot and did the same, rinse and repeat until he got down to stump height where he did the usual face, back cuts and put two wedges in the bottom, pounded in as much as he could, then he went back up the log, nipping a back cut either side of the wedges in their pockets, belting the byjesus out of them as much as he could. He got to the second to last, highest wedge and finally had enough lift to get it over without needing that top wedge. I was waiting for the tree to spit the foot long sections between each wedge lift back in his face but they didn't break off. Maybe he got lucky or maybe he has learned a few tricks over the years. Can't say I've seen it in any instructional videos ;-)

After being stuck inside for a few weeks, and having a cold start to Spring, it was T shirt weather this afternoon, and I got a break in the action!

I'm very impressed with my ported 462 twins, and glad I have a 24" bar on one, as I shortened my milling log to 16' and the large end was 22" diameter. I also moved it with the Peeve so I could cut the Oak, Black Birch and Shag Bark Hickory that was under it to firewood length.

Attachments

• IMG_20200327_154505632.jpg
    IMG_20200327_154505632.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200327_154523394_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200327_154523394_HDR.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200327_154529656.jpg
    IMG_20200327_154529656.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200327_154554258_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200327_154554258_HDR.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 13
I have been eyeballing a fir snag for the last year or so...finally went out today and grabbed it... It was in the bush about 130' or so but with a couple of snatch blocks the mog easily pulled out. Used the crane and a grapple to load

Attachments

• 20200327_122544.jpg
    20200327_122544.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 20200327_125641.jpg
    20200327_125641.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 20200327_132805_HDR.jpg
    20200327_132805_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • 20200327_134354.jpg
    20200327_134354.jpg