Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a fulltimer a few houses down . He's 91 years young . Outdoor furnace and solar cells. But I noticed his split pile was getting down . Found out he had a 5 artery bypass valentines valentine's day. Dropped of a load of dry splits . Another neighbor saw me and dropped off a load after I told him what was going on . Hes an Ulster county sheriff his wife is due in may.

I scrounged a bit of firewood today and cut it over an old trailer I have, that's waiting for me to mill out a new floor for it. Here's a little of it,

standard.jpg

This wood is so dry, if needed, I could burn it this spring yet...

SR

Thanks to every one for the best wishes. It's kind of funny, but on my birthday I always feel a little down. I really miss Larry, Sagetown. He was the first one to send me a birthday greeting, and I had never corresponded with him before that. So, I propose a toast, Cheers to old friends.

Was hoping to play with some saws tomorrow, but they’re calling for rain. Ugh.

Have decided I want to cut up Gramp’s 254. Was watching some videos about “squish” using a 261 gasket, muff mod, etc. Trying to decide on weather I want to do the work, or send it to someone who knows what they’re doing.

Also hoping to snag a couple more 254s for parts, etc. I was really looking hard at chipper’s 346, but I think I like the 254 better.

Dang huskies are growing on me...

Threw a few pieces of the applewood to see if they would go.Lots of hissing, and moisture out of the one log so I told the one buyer that “needed enough wood to get through the quarantine to burn in her pit” that it was a no go.

Cut in October, split within the last 3 weeks, moisture meter read under 20 to 11%, nice cracked/split ends yet it still hissed and produced moisture?95E84801-218D-4EDE-B804-C1E7E89B4290.jpeg

Threw a few pieces of the applewood to see if they would go.Lots of hissing, and moisture out of the one log so I told the one buyer that “needed enough wood to get through the quarantine to burn in her pit” that it was a no go.

Cut in October, split within the last 3 weeks, moisture meter read under 20 to 11%, nice cracked/split ends yet it still hissed and produced moisture?View attachment 811486

Stihl wet inside, I imagine. Pity about that. I suppose you don't really need to worry about creosote in the firepit but the hissing is a bit annoying. Then again, if she's old she might have lost the upper frequencies in her hearing so maybe she won't notice. :omg:

Latest posts

Back