Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a couple little loads out today. Also threw the smaller stuff right in the woodshed then back to the splitter to split the bigger ones, then unloaded them into the woodshed too.
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 10.15.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-03-28 at 10.16.29 PM.png
Here's a little ride along on the tractor for the guys who've given me a hard time about not being able to move the big piles on the bucket.
As you can see in the woods I have quite a bit more to cut out on the way up the hill to the woodshed/splitting area #2.

Since we’re doing ride alongs, here’s one of my tractor from a couple years ago. Not as good quality, I was hanging on to the camera. I dropped a bunch of dead trees across my turn around loop, made some cuts, and pushed them out of the way. Then I could use the loop again to buck up wood and haul it out of there. Too congested.

I was looking at some tires on Amazon that look like that top one. Prices are decent. What size do you run?
I’ve been running 285/75/16. Ran 265/75/16 before that. I think I have nine 8-lug wheels so I just keep mounting tires that I find a good deals on as I find them.

The “new” truck has 265’s I think. Will find out this week for sure when I pick it up. So maybe when this batch of 285’s are used up we’ll drop back to 265’s. It has the same wheels so it will make swapping easy as needed.

It was a beautiful day here. I made two loads to the dump. The dump was empty the first time and absolutely slammed later in the morning. I suppose people are doing house cleaning since they are stuck at home. There was a big fat mouse in one of my garbage cans, I closed the lid and he went to the dump too, LOL. I’m sure he’s in high heaven now with all the trash to scrounge lol.

Cleaned out the trash shed and sterilized the floor and all of the trash cans. My dad and I always joked about “hantavirus” which is carried in mouse droppings. There was a lot of them in the shed lol.

Then threw one of the new tires on the truck and a number of other small projects before dinner.

New tire on the truck
CEC1D32E-D86D-4B8A-BF47-9212F2D7A535.jpeg

We got every mile out of the old one.
AE0810C0-A645-4689-AB32-F507A8100B5E.jpeg

Found this dime, heads up on a little leaf in the ice.9BE4FDDA-B7A8-4F73-851A-2E8243EBC45B.jpeg

I’m paying my youngest son to sort all of my nuts and bolts. This is about 1/3 of my collection. He got about a third of the way through it this afternoon. It will be nice to have them sorted by diameter.D46EADC0-D0A0-400B-B7EE-65F3CF7F9ABA.jpeg

Stuffed pork chops for dinner.
5E4DABD4-C53F-4141-A266-0036F8DA4104.jpeg

Are they picky about tying loads in Australia? A load like that wouldn’t get tied down here.
Yeah, that rope would need a prop 65 sticker on it :surprised3::lol:.
I see some crazy loads going down the road here, some are not the ones in my mirrors :laugh:.

Since we’re doing ride alongs, here’s one of my tractor from a couple years ago. Not as good quality, I was hanging on to the camera. I dropped a bunch of dead trees across my turn around loop, made some cuts, and pushed them out of the way. Then I could use the loop again to buck up wood and haul it out of there. Too congested.

Sweet, like the sound of that beast :rock:.
I was hanging onto my phone too :cheers:.

I’ve been running 285/75/16. Ran 265/75/16 before that. I think I have nine 8-lug wheels so I just keep mounting tires that I find a good deals on as I find them.

The “new” truck has 265’s I think. Will find out this week for sure when I pick it up. So maybe when this batch of 285’s are used up we’ll drop back to 265’s. It has the same wheels so it will make swapping easy as needed.
Do you have a tire machine or do you mount 'em old school? My wood rig's got 15" rims and I've always liked the old bias ply traction tires, but they're a bit clunky on the road. Might be time to splash out on a more modern m+s tire.
614wLTwiw3L._AC_SY355_.jpg

Do you have a tire machine or do you mount 'em old school? My wood rig's got 15" rims and I've always liked the old bias ply traction tires, but they're a bit clunky on the road. Might be time to splash out on a more modern m+s tire.
View attachment 811978
There’s a tire shop a block from work so they do all of my stuff.

Bias plys. There’s a man after @Whitespider ‘s heart!

These are the new ones I'm looking at. Don't know whitespider?
View attachment 811984
That appears to be the very same tire as my new 265. Just so you know, they are directional. The point of the V on the inside treads points forward.

Whitespider is a member here who pretty much only hangs in the political forum now. He was famous around these parts for his love of bias ply tires, disbelief of moisture meters, and arguing with folks from Warshington. :clap:

Are they picky about tying loads in Australia? A load like that wouldn’t get tied down here.

It depends. Local cops wouldn't bother picking on you for that, in fact I've seen one of the local constabulary driving around with an unsecured sketchier load of firewood than that. But if you come across a member of the Highway Patrol who do more or less random sweeps around the countryside and you have a splinter of wood poking its head above the side, you're boned. Maybe it is what they are ordered to do but there is no leniency at all. They are one step back from wearing brownshirts and jackboots. Even the local cops don't like them.

Then threw one of the new tires on the truck and a number of other small projects before dinner.

New tire on the truck
View attachment 811951

Do the lightning bolts make it go faster or grip better? Or both :rock: ?

I unloaded the Ranger and the trailer then headed out to Mitch's to pick up the other day's cutting. I took Limby to do some damage to the big blue gum logs there. First though, I did some clean up of the detritus from previous scrounges. These little piles of bark and stuff I'll pile on the (almost) flush cut stump from the other day. There's a little pile of firepit odd and ends there as well that I'll take home. I also nuked a couple of bull ant and jumping jack nests for fun. The last time I got bitten by a bull ant my leg swelled up like a balloon right up to my ball bag :crazy2:.

29th Mar 2.JPG

Then I loaded up the other day's peppermint

29th Mar 3.JPG

As I was doing that, another mate rolled up with his boys to do some shooting and even though he said they'd shoot the other way, the noise damaged the serenity a bit (unlike a 661 on full throttle which enhances it) so I left before doing any cutting. At least Limby is ready to go for next time.

Can you see the snake? A red bellied black snake who crossed the track as I was driving out. If he had been a brown or a tiger snake I would have floored it then locked the brakes as I hit him - those phuckers are evil - but blacks are ok. They're in the top ten world's most venomous but they're not aggressive and they hunt the other snakes so I'm cool with that.

29th Mar 5.JPG

Unloaded today's load. We're going to burn the middle bay of the shed which holds 5.5 cord this season. We burn around 4 cord a year give or take and give away some or take to my brother or parents. I figure between 3.5 - 4 cord piled up outside the shed now, mostly peppermint, a little candlebark :sweet:.

29th Mar 6.JPG

:)

Attachments

• 29th Mar 4.JPG
    29th Mar 4.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
Not sure who needs to know this, but theres quite the storm rolling thru the midwest right now, starts down SW of here and it's splitting here, part is going east into Canada and another is going NW and back into MN, the main front is moving east.
Lots of nasty looking rain with it, and on the back side I would suspect a lot of wind.
Might want to check out the radar for your area.

It depends. Local cops wouldn't bother picking on you for that, in fact I've seen one of the local constabulary driving around with an unsecured sketchier load of firewood than that. But if you come across a member of the Highway Patrol who do more or less random sweeps around the countryside and you have a splinter of wood poking its head above the side, you're boned. Maybe it is what they are ordered to do but there is no leniency at all. They are one step back from wearing brownshirts and jackboots. Even the local cops don't like them.

Interesting.

Our Highway Patrol also randomly drive country roads.

I'm thinking I need a longer bar for Limby. The 25 inch bar is great for wood up to 30 inches with a bit of overbuck but I fairly regularly cut 40 inch wood that needs cutting from both sides and that sucks when you get low in the log when you need to make the choice between cutting dirt if you keep the bar tip low or severe kickbacks if you keep the bar horizontal as you get low down. I think I need someone to convince me that Limby needs a 40 inch bar. Help please.

Also, should I get Limby ported? I would rather get it done in Oz if possible but I don't know any local porters of repute. My 241 was ported by Randy and he did a great job but it was done new and I don't really want to send any of my existing saws overseas. Are there any Aussie porters that will do a neat job without turning it into a hot rod that burns out in 5 tanks time?

Latest posts

Back