Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ARE WE TALKING TIRES!!!![emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Got my attention

Looks nice.

The absolute Best MT for a lighter truck in my experience is this. BFGKM2. If i could get them in my size with the correct load range i would NOT hesitate.

5cbd8b440080aa4adeb7ca7e67c34be3.jpg

Currently running these TOYO MY’s and they are great for heavy trucks and have great load ranges

e2433ca4e0e700731d07755c1e417dea.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
I Iike Firestone mt on 3/4 ton pickup they last longer than wranglers coopers and Toyo’s I have ran

Sweet, like the sound of that beast :rock:.

It’s a 4-71 Detroit Diesel (284 cubic inch 4 cylinder), 2 cycle. I like the sound of it too. I got it because I needed something that could push trees over, and move a lot of dirt, trees and debris.

It’s a 4-71 Detroit Diesel (284 cubic inch 4 cylinder), 2 cycle. I like the sound of it too. I got it because I needed something that could push trees over, and move a lot of dirt, trees and debris.
Those are sweet to the senses, don't hear to many of them these days.
I like the color of that bad boy too!

don't hear to many of them these days.

Especially not in California, they made construction and commercial trucks get newer engines. I recently saw a Terex loader for sale from the same era as mine, but one size bigger, with a tier 3 engine in it. And another even bigger with a tier 4 engine. They were both out of state, but would be legal on jobs here.

Only on AS could someone ask about a bar and be advised to buy a ported saw build kit and make a chainsaw. :)

This is the truth. Trouble is with the $Oz down the dunny, it's a bit difficult. Also, I am a mechanical retarrd so I ain't building nothing but a pile of wood ( :rock: ). I had a bit of a look for saw porters in Australia and came across Performance Saws, which I had looked at a little while back before getting the MMWS 241 which has been awesome. Turned out the guy (Mick) wasn't very good, blew up a number of saws and cost a lot of blokes a lot of money (and a number of them didn't get their saws back at all). Ended up in the courts and I don't know what happened then but there were a few angry chainsaw wielding Donks who were looking for him so I can't imagine it ended well. Dodged a bullet there, I guess. But with limited options for porting locally I guess I'll just get a 36in bar and chain for Limby like @rarefish383 and @MustangMike suggested for the big stuff but otherwise let Limby bash away with the 25in.

I do appreciate all the suggestions but with business just battling along at the moment, I only have the money for beer. Which is a plus :cheers:.

Stay well, my friends.

I go with the no-name brands, so a set of four don't cost more than my truck did:)
These look good, set of 4 for $342.93 + free shipping
View attachment 812366
View attachment 812377

That’s a dang good price! I’m looking at about $1100 I think, might get five tires so I have a full-size spare, being that I’m moving up from stock tires size.

I was going to order online, but we have a small, local-owned shop that always takes care of me for small repairs on tires, so I’m gonna support them. I know I’m spending more, but without them I’m screwed if a wagon or tractor tire goes down.

I was thinking a Cross p+c, so no porting work necessary.

I have built several saws with the Cross P+C (including for my brother and my next door neighbor), all run real nice with a base gasket delete and a timing advance.

But be sure to check the port bevels before you assemble it, especially the lower exhaust port (the side you can't see). A little sanding of the bevel can save you from disaster.

Fiskars session on some hackberry (small, far stack) Uugh!; chestnut (near stack) stuff smells awful!; and some nice straight grained white oak (3rd stack) Aah, twas like heaven on earth. There is something magical in the "thunk" of oak logs popping open after a good strike :)View attachment 812286

No opinion on the other piles, but the second stack is Black Cherry.

I'm at work. What's this quarantine thing you speak of. It would take an act of Congress to shut this place down. Medical supplies and food get shipped in are products. If we die we die. But you won't hear about how important we are in the news.

I feel you James, I’m at work also. I am an electrical tech at a Kellogg’s food plant. We are essential workers also due to the food supply can’t stop. Anyway, keep up the hard work, stay safe, and remember the important things in life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My '13 eff one fiddy is going need new tires. I'm 99% on road so the stock wranglers have performed well for me. Thinking of trying Cooper AT3's. I've been really happy with the Cooper winters.... which will also need replacing. Might leave them on this summer and wear em right out. Buy winters this year and summers next..

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Gonna try tackling this ugly today. Seriously I'll be happy if I get it on the ground.

Trimmed away Grampa a patch that held it together 40 years or so ago.
img20200330_103745.jpg

Which reveals the ugly of it slightly.

img20200330_103721.jpg

Have to straighten up my chain yet.

img20200330_103814.jpg

Plan is to make a single lowish face cut. Then if that went well fire up the 038 with the 32" bar and dance back and forth on the back side.

She bigger then it looks at almost 9' circumference.

img20200330_103904.jpg

If I survive this foolishness I'll post something up later. Hopefully some firewood.

Gonna try tackling this ugly today. Seriously I'll be happy if I get it on the ground.

Trimmed away Grampa a patch that held it together 40 years or so ago.
View attachment 812536

Which reveals the ugly of it slightly.

View attachment 812538

Have to straighten up my chain yet.

View attachment 812540

Plan is to make a single lowish face cut. Then if that went well fire up the 038 with the 32" bar and dance back and forth on the back side.

She bigger then it looks at almost 9' circumference.

View attachment 812542

If I survive this foolishness I'll post something up later. Hopefully some firewood.
Those are pretty easy depending on the direction it need to go, as long as you get a couple inches of solid wood on the sides of the notch you'll be fine. I like to bore them to set the hinge up(probably a 2-3" hinge depending on how solid the wood is, wouldn't want it setting down on the bar) and then cut out the back from each side with a shorter bar.
Look forward to the pictures.

My '13 eff one fiddy is going need new tires. I'm 99% on road so the stock wranglers have performed well for me. Thinking of trying Cooper AT3's. I've been really happy with the Cooper winters.... which will also need replacing. Might leave them on this summer and wear em right out. Buy winters this year and summers next..

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Which Cooper winter tires? I put a set of the Cooper ATW's on my pickup last year, supposed to be Cooper's " Year-Around snow tire". They've been acceptable, but I think the AT3's I had were a better all-around tire. The Hankook Dynapro's a had a few years back were fantastic, but everyone keeps saying their quality has gone in the toilet as of late.

Those are pretty easy depending on the direction it need to go, as long as you get a couple inches of solid wood on the sides of the notch you'll be fine. I like to bore them to set the hinge up(probably a 2-3" hinge depending on how solid the wood is, wouldn't want it setting down on the bar) and then cut out the back from each side with a shorter bar.
Look forward to the pictures.
I won't brag about the cut or the stump. It's down and where it needed to go. I'm gonna miss this one. Shade, winter feed for the squirrels and birds. But it was one of those oaks that could drop a branch at any time.img20200330_115405.jpgimg20200330_115421.jpg
Gonna be awhile cleaning this mess up. But there will be a lot less crap to pick up before mowing this summer.

View attachment 812425

That is not how you load the back of a vehicle.

This is halfway respectable...

View attachment 812426

But when in doubt, it is always best to defer to the Master Scrounger. @dancan ...
Oh, but I am serious, at least for a moment lol.
I wasn't sure how he would respond to it or what his needs were, some are easily offered, especially when you try to help them :rare2:. He was appreciative and I'll load some more up for him and bring a saw to help him cut some other wood up. I'll also bring the fiscars alone and I'm going to see if I have a 20" husky small mount bar in 050 for him. He had an 18"x3/8 x .058 bar on his saw, and an extra 20x3\8 x 050 chain and a 20"x325 x 050 bar and chain. I figure if I set him up with a 20x050 bar then he will have a spare setup if his is dull or gets pinched. The 325x20 is worthless without changing out the spur and the saw pulls a 20x3/8 just fine.
I need to bring a raker gauge too as his were high.

Back