Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She bigger then it looks at almost 9' circumference.

View attachment 812542

So, 33 inches? Not that big, the problem as you seem to know, is there‘s very little hinge wood. It’s gonna go with gravity unless you pull it.

Here‘s me standing on the biggest tree I felled, over a year ago now. There was only a small amount of solid wood in the center, and half the stump went with the tree. It damaged my saw because it went in an unexpected direction.

938E4E29-6236-4478-A537-B9DF23D594C6.jpeg

After it was down.

6CAA80D0-BB53-49F4-92B6-FDF42D1C3DEE.jpeg

I won't brag about the cut or the stump. It's down and where it needed to go. I'm gonna miss this one. Shade, winter feed for the squirrels and birds. But it was one of those oaks that could drop a branch at any time.View attachment 812569View attachment 812570
Gonna be awhile cleaning this mess up. But there will be a lot less crap to pick up before mowing this summer.

It‘s good to see it down without damaging anything. Good job.

So, 33 inches? Not that big, the problem as you seem to know, is there‘s very little hinge wood. It’s gonna go with gravity unless you pull it.

Here‘s me standing on the biggest tree I felled, over a year ago now. There was only a small amount of solid wood in the center, and half the stump went with the tree. It damaged my saw because it went in an unexpected direction.

View attachment 812578

After it was down.

View attachment 812582
That one's been dead awhile! Mine wasn't huge for sure. Just a lot of weight hanging up in the air. With lots of verticle cracks matching the heavy limbs. Gravity was on my side for a change it really could only go where it did. As for pulling I didn't have any help today so that wasn't even on the radar.

Which Cooper winter tires? I put a set of the Cooper ATW's on my pickup last year, supposed to be Cooper's " Year-Around snow tire". They've been acceptable, but I think the AT3's I had were a better all-around tire. The Hankook Dynapro's a had a few years back were fantastic, but everyone keeps saying their quality has gone in the toilet as of late.
Cooper discoverer m+s is what I'm using for a winter tire. They are an excellent snow tire and a good ice tire. There are better ice tires, blizzak being one. I live 20 minutes from lake Huron and Georgian Bay both so we get lake effect snow no matter which way it blows, therefore having more snowy conditions than ice. A lot of plow truck guys I know use these and I love em. Have a set for the truck and the Corolla.
Just looking for an all terrain/highway summer that has been as good as the Goodyear wranglers.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I won't brag about the cut or the stump. It's down and where it needed to go. I'm gonna miss this one. Shade, winter feed for the squirrels and birds. But it was one of those oaks that could drop a branch at any time.View attachment 812569View attachment 812570
Gonna be awhile cleaning this mess up. But there will be a lot less crap to pick up before mowing this summer.
Looks fine from here :).
Glad you got her down safely.
Now that the "more fun" part is over you can enjoy the fun part lol.

View attachment 812578

After it was down.

View attachment 812582
Wow, being inside the tree must have preserved those posted signs:laughing:.
Bummer about the saw, just glad it wasn't you getting damaged :).

Wow, being inside the tree must have preserved those posted signs:laughing:.

Yes, that’s what happened... Lol!

Actually I didn’t want to crawl over several down trees to get my tape measure.

I would have had to go across this, or around it.
3F0916B8-BED5-4883-A93A-947416EFFF42.jpeg

Didn't get off to a quick start on the brush... Oops first knot I went to bump.
View attachment 812632
So I grabbed the Husky 445 put 1 tank through that and since I'm sitting here in quarantine. Its time for a coke!

I haven’t had a chain come apart, what happened?

Cooper discoverer m+s is what I'm using for a winter tire. They are an excellent snow tire and a good ice tire. There are better ice tires, blizzak being one. I live 20 minutes from lake Huron and Georgian Bay both so we get lake effect snow no matter which way it blows, therefore having more snowy conditions than ice. A lot of plow truck guys I know use these and I love em. Have a set for the truck and the Corolla.
Just looking for an all terrain/highway summer that has been as good as the Goodyear wranglers.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M8LK52M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I got these for $135 each

Didn't get off to a quick start on the brush... Oops first knot I went to bump.
View attachment 812632
So I grabbed the Husky 445 put 1 tank through that and since I'm sitting here in quarantine. Its time for a coke!
Bummer, but that husky is a great saw for that job and it has much better reach.
If you where here I'd have hooked you up with a chain, I cleaned a couple baby saws up today, two more to go.
20200330_150045.jpg

Thanks at @chipper1 for posting this idea. 572xp wrap kit without the wrap lol. I do have a Jred sticker for it but the Husqvarna letters need to be ground out so it can go on!

View attachment 812655

I hope the 2nd one shows up. Same order but just 1 in the box. Invoice checked by the count of 2?
Glad to help, looks sweet on there.
I have a couple of those kits here myself, I figured I'd better grab them up now in case they change the price on them, you can't buy the cover for that price, and the dawgs aren't much cheaper than the cost of the whole kit. I would like to get some of the standard 572 covers too, I really like the captive bar nuts. Can't tell you how many times someone has stepped on a clutch cover and sent them sailing, a few times it wasn't even me lol.

Latest posts

Back