Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I have found another oak fall, it still has leaves on it and they are dried up. Must have fell awhile back as it is spring here and no leaves have grown. Anyway, I have been calling these bur oak, which is in the white oak family. Does that sound and look right?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not Bur Oak. Bur Oak has lobes that are bigger and spaced further apart. Only one or two on each side. This looks more like Chestnut Oak or Water Oak.

Wonder if goats would take off when you fire the saw up. Cows don't. I cut a couple trees in a pasture and all the cows came over to watch. Set my idling saw down for a moment to wrestle some brush and when I turned around, a cow was licking it! The rest licked my truck, it was a mess by the time I got out of there.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I don't know much about goats. If I don't give them any food then turn my back on them will I end up with a set of horns up the butt? I was taking no chances and walked backwards to the ute and got in, contemplating my next move. I decided to drive to a different log that wasn't covered in goats.
Probably have drop goats there or at least goats with teeth that can kill you. I think I heard that 8 of the 10 most deadly goat species in the world live in Australia.

Went out to the farm again this morning. Might be the last chance for a while, we're meant to get rain the next 4 or 5 days, with snow on the hills Friday and Saturday. Might have an excuse to light the fire :happybanana: .

I loaded up the last of the previous peppermint log and chucked in the small stuff for firepit wood.

View attachment 813181

I then found that I had a problem accessing my next scrounge log.

View attachment 813180

Stop following me! I don't have any food!

View attachment 813179

I don't know much about goats. If I don't give them any food then turn my back on them will I end up with a set of horns up the butt? I was taking no chances and walked backwards to the ute and got in, contemplating my next move. I decided to drive to a different log that wasn't covered in goats.

View attachment 813182

This is also peppermint, and was from the same tree that the big hollow peppermint log that I cut up two weeks ago.

View attachment 813182

Limby did the work today and should have more than a Ranger load once I have it all split.

View attachment 813183

View attachment 813184

I split up some but then ran out of time. Besides the goats might come back at any moment … :crazy2:
nice pix! enjoyed the show. guess u din't bend over to start ur saws... lol

I know the more power guys won't believe it. But it looks like between the unloved Stihl 038av and over looked Husqvarna 445 this old oaks met its match! Couple hours at the most and its firewood to split and brush to drag.
img20200401_112137.jpg

I was hoping to put a little time on some of the other saws but this just goes too nice.

Did I mention brush to drag?

I know the more power guys won't believe it. But it looks like between the unloved Stihl 038av and over looked Husqvarna 445 this old oaks met its match! Couple hours at the most and its firewood to split and brush to drag.
View attachment 813308

I was hoping to put a little time on some of the other saws but this just goes too nice.

Did I mention brush to drag?
Looks like an Andrew Wyeth painting!!!!!

Back