Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gasoline reported as low as $1.29 / gallon in some places around here! You guys still burning wood?

Philbert
Should I burn gasoline, not that I don't, just not in the house.
The cheapest around here is 1.37(about 2 weeks it's been there) and I get my 4% discount off that. Most stations here are hovering around 1.70-185 with a few other than Costco and Sams as low as 1.44.
I filled up everything for the 1.37 I could even a bunch of 5 gallons containers and my zero turn mower, then I got fuel for the tractor and an extra 5 gallons, paid 2.99 for all my e-free.
I heat with wood and use propane for hot water only, I use some hot water from the wood stove top.

Today’s scrounge. Relative decided they don’t want to burn wood anymore so I got the rest of it. Wonder how many years he’s been cutting wood with every piece being a different length[emoji23]

Cherry
Oka
Maple
And some unknown

6a20c4af60710c5bf72731539ae5a8c2.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I heard last nite most all of the worlds tanker ships were full and were sitting waiting to find some buyers.
The well-funded who could afford to lease (and can find one) a tanker and skeleton crew for a year could buy at current spot prices, purchase a futures contract to sell in a years time at the agreed and much higher price, fill a tanker, park it off some coastline somewhere, netting roughly $2m per tanker when they deliver in a years time and have fully paid up the lease. If things carry on like this the counterparty risk of doing so (and/or insurance costs to cover it) are going to go through the roof and make it pointless but we sure do live in interesting times.

It wouldn't surprise me in this batshit crazy world, if some funds have done just this, built portfolios of tankers/contracts, packaged the portfolio/s into a 'security', borrowed against them, or sold the derivatives to an ever-dodgier phalanx of financial gurus who then borrow against these contracts, and the lenders have then sold derivatives of these securities to bag-holders around the world who, through the financial miracle of rehypothecation will be staring at a few hundred billion dollars in losses when the SHTF.

If I can hope for one good thing to come from the Chinese flu and incoming gobal financial meltdown, it's that we collectively pull our heads out of our asses and value far more the producers, healers, educators, and develop an enduring and palpable disdain for usurious money-changing parasites.

Oh, and converting volumes and dollars, 95 octane petrol has dropped to about US$4.60 a gallon here. No complimentary jar of petroleum jelly either.

Back