Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dog boning looks pretty good.
The cutter is a bit far back compared to where most who build fast chains have them at. For the best action in the wood guys want them to be just ahead of the rear rivet, and then they cut the heal making the overall size of the cutter smaller, which will lighten the tooth/chain(helpful on a 3 cube chain).
I would like to get to a point where I could take good pictures of cutters lol.
20200402_181003.jpg
Things to apply to the next one. The one I'm playing with now is just a learning process. Good info in that post thank you.

Almost two weeks of sweating on the top curing before it finally cooperated and i could take it out of the mould. Plenty left to do but as a first fit to get a photo of progress, I'm reasonably happy. Yet again though, I've made something so freak'n heavy it's a struggle to lift. Thankfully it's going on a concrete slab and the legs have a big base area to help spread the load. That said, their carpet is not going to bounce back in a hurry.

View attachment 813701

Should i keep the edges on the top square with a small bevel like it was glass, or round it off a heap so it isn't so boxy? the original plan was to totally encase the legs in epoxy like the top, in which case i'd just be putting a small bevel on the edges but it already drank so much resin it was too expensive to throw more at the legs (they'll get a final sand and coat though). So, this is why I'm thinking about softening the edges on the table top also. Maybe not even straight too, just sand slightly wavy edges and then round them over, so looks a bit more organic and matches the legs a bit better?
I'd round the corners. The top is the real show piece. Why not just put a satin finish on the base pieces?
Either way, cool project, you're quite the artist!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

After enduring some very frustrating business conversations (don't ask), I found a little time to split some wood with the Fiskars. Actually did a good bit of it left handed today, which I have not done in a long while.

Some of the Shag Hickory was very stubborn today, so I mostly split the Red Oak and Black Birch (which split surprisingly well). Not a whole lot, but it got me outside and some exercise, and I knew Cowboy wanted to see the pics! (Was tough to keep my shadow out of it).

Pardon this city boy, but what constitutes a right versus left hand split? I choke my right hand up high, slide it down to my left as the Fiskars head is sliding reaching a rapid rate of speed downward to split. Feet parallel, Fiskars striking down the center line of my body.

Always looking to learn and gain knowledge....

ryan, that's RHed. the dominant hand steers, the weaker hand just holds tight and pulls. I'm a leftie and my left goes to the top and slides down.

Almost two weeks of sweating on the top curing before it finally cooperated and i could take it out of the mould. Plenty left to do but as a first fit to get a photo of progress, I'm reasonably happy. Yet again though, I've made something so freak'n heavy it's a struggle to lift. Thankfully it's going on a concrete slab and the legs have a big base area to help spread the load. That said, their carpet is not going to bounce back in a hurry.

View attachment 813701

Should i keep the edges on the top square with a small bevel like it was glass, or round it off a heap so it isn't so boxy? the original plan was to totally encase the legs in epoxy like the top, in which case i'd just be putting a small bevel on the edges but it already drank so much resin it was too expensive to throw more at the legs (they'll get a final sand and coat though). So, this is why I'm thinking about softening the edges on the table top also. Maybe not even straight too, just sand slightly wavy edges and then round them over, so looks a bit more organic and matches the legs a bit better?
wowsers! stunning but it looks mismatched....the legs so thick yet the top not,plus the legs rustic and the top glassy smooth. I was thinking wavey edge the top before i read it....although it may just look silly, like more mismatching of stuff. Phenomenal work Kbro, but I am undecided. it looks so weird to me that my head can't see how big it is....my eyes tell me its something dinky, really dinky...a little foot stall dinky....as the legs are so chunky and if that were a dinning table you'd need a crane to lift it.

Another dead ash [emoji41]. Courtesy of The 2166/72
5b89c7a00f3627755ca90e2fa76c0411.plist

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Nice stump!

Was splitting some beech rounds today. Nice, green, healthy tree, but it needed to come out to open up the canopy. About 25ft. from the base, I started finding some lively white grubs. A couple of them were the size of a pencil and 2 inches long. Should have taken a couple pictures, but we were rockin' and roliin', and I didn't want to halt production. Never seen them before. I've heard about the bark fungus caused by an insect, are these the culprits?

View attachment 813701

Very nice . I like to camfered edges on tables

I'd round the corners. The top is the real show piece. Why not just put a satin finish on the base pieces?
Either way, cool project, you're quite the artist!

To be clear, rounding the corners as in the vertical edges, so that if looking at it in plan view it'll look like this?
planViewRoundedCnrs.jpg

But the top and bottom edges just get a light chamfer/bevel, or rounded over with a, say, 1/2" round router bit on the top and maybe just a small pencil round bit for the bottom edges? That's a good idea for satin legs, thanks. The top will probably not be a full gloss anyway by the time I have sanded it, if that kauri table i did recently is any indication of how much of a nightmare it is to get it to a nice gloss without showing every imperfection. Nah, I'm no artist. Just bungling along trying a few things here and there. Not really a creative person, quite the opposite really.
wowsers! stunning but it looks mismatched....the legs so thick yet the top not,plus the legs rustic and the top glassy smooth. I was thinking wavey edge the top before i read it....although it may just look silly, like more mismatching of stuff. Phenomenal work Kbro, but I am undecided. it looks so weird to me that my head can't see how big it is....my eyes tell me its something dinky, really dinky...a little foot stall dinky....as the legs are so chunky and if that were a dinning table you'd need a crane to lift it.
The legs are roughly 300x300 square posts. The top is 1550 long, 750 wide, and the top of the top is about 450 from the ground and about 90mm thick. The top will be flattened and thicknessed to about 75-80mm thick when finished.
Yeah, I'm unable to decide yet if go with wavey edges or keep them dead straight. Straight is not going to match the wavey edges of the legs and I agree it seems mismatched. Perfect world, I could afford to do the legs in resin and square edged too, then everything matches. Might wait until I get the top to final thickness before deciding which way to go. It's heavy. Can't really lift the top. One end at a time, but not completely. Legs come apart or else wouldn't be able to lift them either.
Very nice . I like to camfered edges on tables
Thanks, might go that way if only it doesn't look silly. I guess I could do that first, stand back and check it and if looks crap there'll still be enough meat left to round it over instead.

On the Fiskars X-27, I just keep my hands a few inches apart and don't slide the upper hand. Right handed, the Left hand is near the end of the handle, Left handed the Right hand is near the end of the handle.

Cityboy??? Well, I was born there, but we moved when I was one. Yea, I had to work there a lot, but never lived there.

Beautiful work Kiwi, but I'd like to see a pic from the top.

If possible, because it looks angular any way, I'd like to see a 45* bevel instead of rounding, I think it would look real cool!
ooooh that's an interesting option that has spawned a few more ideas now too. Thanks.

To be clear, rounding the corners as in the vertical edges, so that if looking at it in plan view it'll look like this?
View attachment 813731

But the top and bottom edges just get a light chamfer/bevel, or rounded over with a, say, 1/2" round router bit on the top and maybe just a small pencil round bit for the bottom edges? That's a good idea for satin legs, thanks. The top will probably not be a full gloss anyway by the time I have sanded it, if that kauri table i did recently is any indication of how much of a nightmare it is to get it to a nice gloss without showing every imperfection. Nah, I'm no artist. Just bungling along trying a few things here and there. Not really a creative person, quite the opposite really.

The legs are roughly 300x300 square posts. The top is 1550 long, 750 wide, and the top of the top is about 450 from the ground and about 90mm thick. The top will be flattened and thicknessed to about 75-80mm thick when finished.
Yeah, I'm unable to decide yet if go with wavey edges or keep them dead straight. Straight is not going to match the wavey edges of the legs and I agree it seems mismatched. Perfect world, I could afford to do the legs in resin and square edged too, then everything matches. Might wait until I get the top to final thickness before deciding which way to go. It's heavy. Can't really lift the top. One end at a time, but not completely. Legs come apart or else wouldn't be able to lift them either.
Thanks, might go that way if only it doesn't look silly. I guess I could do that first, stand back and check it and if looks crap there'll still be enough meat left to round it over instead.
Yes just like you described.

Latest posts

Back