Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was splitting some beech rounds today. Nice, green, healthy tree, but it needed to come out to open up the canopy. About 25ft. from the base, I started finding some lively white grubs. A couple of them were the size of a pencil and 2 inches long. Should have taken a couple pictures, but we were rockin' and roliin', and I didn't want to halt production. Never seen them before. I've heard about the bark fungus caused by an insect, are these the culprits?

I can tell you what they are - bait. Grab 'em and go fishing!

View attachment 813706
Things to apply to the next one. The one I'm playing with now is just a learning process. Good info in that post thank you.
The right cutter looks about right although it appears a bit longer than the left which is further back than I would start with.
Those Carlton chains will be a lot easier to trim the front of the raker back and thin since they angle back.
As I was saying I sure wish I had a better camera for pictures, maybe my next phone will have a nice one :picture:.

Brain teaser for the day since you all are bored being locked up with this virus sh!t. Split and stacked this morning. 15 different species of wood in this pile. Guess what they are. Hint. NO spruce!!:laughing:
View attachment 813921
Are you differentiating the subspecies red oak/white oak, hickories, etc?

I'm amazed how well this thing cuts for as ugly as my square fileing looks. Had a lot of guys tell me that ugly doesn't mean underperforming. Still like to get to a point that I feel good about posting pictures of my cutters.
I'm dog bone the drivers, file the rivets down, and file the front of the rakers back and thin them. It will probably break the chain first time I put it in wood. But i have all the time i could need so why not learn something.

I won’t judge what your cutters look like. I would love to see pictures of them and learn from your experiences.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Every year I seem to get worse with my tolerance for heat. Today I think is the warmest day of the year or close to at least. 61° sunny and not a cloud in sight. Here I am wearing a sun hat and thinking about how I wish it was a bit cooler[emoji23][emoji23]

Mosquitoes also appeared yesterday and started biting as well

Waiting for my son to finish his online class then we are on our way. Had a bunch of freezing rain this morning so my truck, snowmobile, and everything outside is covered in ice. Oh well, the shack will heat up quickly.

I know what freezing rain is from when I was stationed in Germany, most Californian’s wouldn’t know what you were talking about. Fun stuff.

Every year I seem to get worse with my tolerance for heat. Today I think is the warmest day of the year or close to at least. 61° sunny and not a cloud in sight. Here I am wearing a sun hat and thinking about how I wish it was a bit cooler[emoji23][emoji23]

Mosquitoes also appeared yesterday and started biting as well

Seen a mosquito yesterday. It's snowing now lol

Back