Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are all 30-50 year old White Oak fence boards. That's probably why they look so dark. After sitting in the sun, they lightened up quite a bit. Here's the last pic of the day, I'm beat.
Q3OJWj8.jpg
That is NICE! That would fit right in here in Deere & Co. country.

You can be my neighbor! If it’s not within an inch, it goes in the fire pit. Drives my cousin bonkers when he sees the pile of off cuts and uglies by the fire pit. All I can say is, the pit needs food too.
Ran errands this morning using the ol’ Timber Wagon. Swung into the timber on my way home to pick up the shorts and uglies. Going to take a few days off and catch up at home. Fire pit food.
2C6CE419-1974-4F4F-84DA-04D071CCF64D.jpeg

IMG_9681.JPGIMG_9680.JPG

Just wanted to update on my contraption to help load big rounds onto my trailer. I made a teeter-totter that worked well with rounds 16" or smaller, but fell short on the 20"+ rounds. Just roll the round onto the foot and pull down on the handle. Then roll log into trailer. Once the log is past the pivot point, you don't have to worry the handle is going to pop up back at you. With the 20"+ rounds, it would roll back off the foot as I pulled down on the handle. This just a prototype made with materials on hand. The foot should have been a 2x12 but I didn't have any on hand.
So far I think I've gotten 4-1/2 loads of R. Oak and 1-1/2 loads of Mulberry since last Friday. One more day of this cool weather and there's one more load of smaller stuff out there. I'm going to pass on the 24" - 30" dia. logs; just too much work. Since @LondonNeil says he likes 24" Oak rounds, I'd be happy to send the big stuff to him if he agrees to pay the shipping :D . So no 10 loads of RO for me as first thought. Oh and he just dropped off a half load of hackberry onto the burn pile. May have to rescue that tomorrow, too.

New scrounge. A fter sitting in the house for two weeks doing nothing due to hot weatehr I decided to go look for a new place to cut. I finished the old willow site over a month ago except for a day or two to go back in the spring and clean up around the remaining 4 trees.

6 miles from house stopped at a combine crew fueling up. I had just passed a big willow grove. Yep, I can cut all I want. problem is the access, seems to be a ditch along the road. May have found a spot to cross it but it will take a couple hours cleaing dead fall to be sure. High point was him offering me the wood from a "big dead locust" when he takes it down later in the fall. A bit more looking and I spotted another good size dead locust along the road that also belongs to the same guy. I'll ask about that one also.

Looks like it is time to get back to actual work again!!!

Made my last delivery for the year Monday. 2 cord of oak at $260/cord.

Well, another setback for Zogger. His issues have been diagnosed as ALS. I texted with him and he obviously is not happy but at the same point relieved to know what it is.

At least one good thing is he is able to PM via facebook and text rather well. He still has the same good attitude that he always had on here, until I visited him in person it was hard to believe he wasn't his old self.

Some of the wood on the left looks too big to go in a wood stove.

The three half rounds sitting outside that bay on the left got split into little pieces by Cowlad. They're Alpine Ash which is a light eucalypt hardwood and when dry you can pretty much drop a round on the ground and it'll split. Everything stacked in that bay is 12' or less, 12 inches being the maximum diameter that can be shoehorned into my stove.

Well, another setback for Zogger. His issues have been diagnosed as ALS. I texted with him and he obviously is not happy but at the same point relieved to know what it is.

At least one good thing is he is able to PM via facebook and text rather well. He still has the same good attitude that he always had on here, until I visited him in person it was hard to believe he wasn't his old self.

That sucks. It's known as motor neurone disease here and there's no way back from it. I'm so sorry for him.

Latest posts

Back