Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i could. aspen alkalyte, or stihl motomix. its 5 times the price of pump fuel and ive not had trouble, so i go as far as premium octane, stablizer, and always run the saws dry. it seems to work fine. my brother has been using a ms180 for at last 15 years, on standard pump, stihl red, and no stabiliser, with no trouble. i keep telling him fuel nowhas ethanol so he uses some stabiliser i gave him but thats it.

Part ethanol fuel is stihl the exception here, and servos that sell it specify the price on the sign as you drive in to get proper fuel. It never really took off here and it doesn't really look like there's any political impetus to force it upon us. It remains an option for those that value it, however.

Thanks. That’s the A-team (plus the 394 when needed). Didn’t feel like wrenching on fixer uppers today, just wanted to make wood.

I’ve only got 2-3 more cords to make this year and I’m calling it quits. I’m going to enjoy some hunting for once.
I know a good home for your 44mag.

Heading out for more scrounging. Raked hay and doctor visit yesterday, first day without rain. Here is my scrounging setup.IMG_20200915_105949682.jpgfor all the metal heads out there, what would be causing this bar to break inside pipe, with no damage to pipe arms, either ends? The stub sticks into rotatory pipe arm on unit.

Attachments

• IMG_20200905_144149440_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200905_144149440_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20200905_144039451.jpg
    IMG_20200905_144039451.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
i could. aspen alkalyte, or stihl motomix. its 5 times the price of pump fuel and ive not had trouble, so i go as far as premium octane, stablizer, and always run the saws dry. it seems to work fine. my brother has been using a ms180 for at last 15 years, on standard pump, stihl red, and no stabiliser, with no trouble. i keep telling him fuel nowhas ethanol so he uses some stabiliser i gave him but thats it.
I go through at least 5 gallons a month, sometimes 5 gallons a week. I use 87 with Stihl Ultra, and have no problems. My MS 290 was dull and I was too lazy to sharpen it or put a new chain on it. So I took a look around. I had the 660 with a new 25" chain so I grabbed it. The tank was full. The last time I used it was before Covid struck, and it started and ran fine.

I go through at least 5 gallons a month, sometimes 5 gallons a week. I use 87 with Stihl Ultra, and have no problems. My MS 290 was dull and I was too lazy to sharpen it or put a new chain on it. So I took a look around. I had the 660 with a new 25" chain so I grabbed it. The tank was full. The last time I used it was before Covid struck, and it started and ran fine.

Look what followed me home today.
QnLM9Bf.jpg

Have to be careful with an ultrasonic cleaner and aluminum or any alloy similar to it. It can start Messing with the metal itself. It kinda etches it if you leave it in to long.

But i DO ise it for carbs. Just real quick runs in it.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Depends on what your cleaning solution is. Anymore I just use a mild simple green solution in mine. I had access to the proper chemical for aluminium, when I worked at the machine shop, it was amazing. I've been gone for a few years and the parts guy has left, so I lost my connection for getting it. I think chemtron was the name of the company that made it. About 30 min for a carb and it would come out like brand new casting. The simple green works decent and doesnt etch the alloy.
Heading out for more scrounging. Raked hay and doctor visit yesterday, first day without rain. Here is my scrounging setup.View attachment 855198for all the metal heads out there, what would be causing this bar to break inside pipe, with no damage to pipe arms, either ends? The stub sticks into rotatory pipe arm on unit.
The rust indicates it was partially broken for some time. Does this happen often, or has it been a one time break? I would assume if it was a one time break it was a imperfection in the stock from the get go. As there is fresh metal around and to the one side as well as what looks like a imperfection in the grain of the metal leads me to believe this as well. Round stock that size should take a decent bit of force to sheer off like that, and with the addition of the sleeve it sits in, I would think it would have to be bent for the bar inside to break like that.

I wouldnt put much faith in simple green cleaning carbs. I soaked a 346xp crankcase in the stuff and the next morning the case was junk. The simple green ate it like rust on a 73chevy truck. A very weak solution for s short amount of time might work, but long term, such as overnite, you will endup replacing parts.

I wouldnt put much faith in simple green cleaning carbs. I soaked a 346xp crankcase in the stuff and the next morning the case was junk. The simple green ate it like rust on a 73chevy truck. A very weak solution for s short amount of time might work, but long term, such as overnite, you will endup replacing parts.
I looked it up. Doesn't look like Aluminum (crankcase?) like basic (pH) solutions like Simple Green.

Depends on what your cleaning solution is. Anymore I just use a mild simple green solution in mine. I had access to the proper chemical for aluminium, when I worked at the machine shop, it was amazing. I've been gone for a few years and the parts guy has left, so I lost my connection for getting it. I think chemtron was the name of the company that made it. About 30 min for a carb and it would come out like brand new casting. The simple green works decent and doesnt etch the alloy.

The rust indicates it was partially broken for some time. Does this happen often, or has it been a one time break? I would assume if it was a one time break it was a imperfection in the stock from the get go. As there is fresh metal around and to the one side as well as what looks like a imperfection in the grain of the metal leads me to believe this as well. Round stock that size should take a decent bit of force to sheer off like that, and with the addition of the sleeve it sits in, I would think it would have to be bent for the bar inside to break like that.
Three have snapped so far. Unit is just out of warranty, manufacturer is covering them as they break. Probably be a different situation next year. Thanks for your reply.

Yep, I tend to think if you use a decent oil it helps, I think Stihl green contains a stabilser. Follow a few simple practices and mix is usually fine for over a year in my experience. However it's fairly easy to do a few things to help avoid problems so I do those easy things.

I spent a few hours running my 36" splitter and got all my own boiler wood split up too. Nearest pile at the conveyor is 32" ash, bins are 32" ash limb wood and split 32" poplar for fall and spring burning. My wife talked my Nephew into helping her stack some into crates. Tomorrow morning heading somewhere north for a few days with some friends on our bikes, 1st time riding for me this year. It's been a crazy busy year to say the least.

Attachments

• 20200916_182200.jpg
    20200916_182200.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
  • 20200916_171601.jpg
    20200916_171601.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
Back