Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good Joe. What tailgate did you get on it? Looks like a twin to mine. Has treated me pretty good for 18 years.
Well, I ordered one a month ago, and the way I had it optioned out it had the drive on landscape ramp. Had the price up to $8000. He quoted me 3 week turn around. When I got back from vacation I was expecting my new trailer. I called and he said they were 2 months behind and they wouldn't be starting mine for 6-8 weeks, cancelled that order, and found this one at Wengers in Lancaster/Myerstown. It had the 2 way gate that you see on it for $5800. While I was talking to the salesman he mentioned the factory was just a few miles down the road. So, I asked if he would call them and see if they had the ramp in stock. Yes they did. It's a $900 option. When I ordered the first one with the ramp, all I got was the ramp. I bought the one at the factory and drove over and picked it up. Now I have both.
Steve is your's a Pequea? I bought my C500 15 years ago this year. Not one speck of rust through on it. It has some surface rust where I've scraped it up, but that's all. I think I've changed one tail light and two sets of tires. I've seen a lot of other makes completely rust beyond use with less years and work on them. This one should last the rest of my life. I've been thinking about keeping the little one and just fill it with wood and parking it at the end of my street. I made the side boards exactly 128 cubic feet. Putting a sign on it, 1 cord, $250 check, $225 cash. see what happens. Got my first call for half a cord today.
w93q7zd.jpg

Looks good Joe. What tailgate did you get on it? Looks like a twin to mine. Has treated me pretty good for 18 years.
Dang Steve, I just noticed none of the pics are from behind, I'll have to get one tomorrow. They have one short gate that's 4 ways, tilts down from the top, swings up from the bottom, or unlatches in the middle and swings open like barn doors. Didn't get that one. Mine just swings from top or bottom.

Looks like in that video the feller got his bar stuck and didn't get himself out of the way on a timely basis.

If your bar gets stuck when a tree is falling … LEAVE IT!!!

It was partially binding, but he managed to keep it moving.

It seems he was confident in what it was gonna do.

I don't care how confident he was, and lots of guys don't step away … it is a mistake!

As soon as that tree starts moving get the heck away from it, preferably diagonally to the back. Your safety if more important than your saw.

When a tree does something unexpected, it is too late to move.

It needs to be like instinct. Like teaching a new driver not to crash the car because of a squirrel or a bee inside.

Looks like in that video the feller got his bar stuck and didn't get himself out of the way on a timely basis.
I don't care how confident he was, and lots of guys don't step away … it is a mistake!
I noticed that too. Been strongly counseled not to 'linger' once the tree starts to move.

Philbert

Dang Steve, I just noticed none of the pics are from behind, I'll have to get one tomorrow. They have one short gate that's 4 ways, tilts down from the top, swings up from the bottom, or unlatches in the middle and swings open like barn doors. Didn't get that one. Mine just swings from top or bottom.
Joe mine is the pequea 1500.2002 year. Stihl on the original battery. Has a littler rust on the front from stones and salt. but other wise in pretty good shape. I just have the barn doors on mine. i like that ramp you got.

Drop on in and I'll by a Growler of my favorite beer and treat you to a hay ride. It just might be an Oak hay ride!

:cheers:

I've been to the US a number of times but most recently in 2006. When I get there next I hope to catch up with some scroungers, who knows when that might be, though. The daughter of a family I stayed with in 1991 in central NH ended up marrying my BIL so we have a connection there. They are threatening to move to Oz though so we might need to get a move on.

I've been to the US a number of times but most recently in 2006. When I get there next I hope to catch up with some scroungers, who knows when that might be, though. The daughter of a family I stayed with in 1991 in central NH ended up marrying my BIL so we have a connection there. They are threatening to move to Oz though so we might need to get a move on.
Shouldn't your sister married your BIL?

Brought some hardwood scrounge to my friend’s cabin after work yesterday. The trailer was riding a bit rough as we got close but I thought it was just rough backroads. Once unloaded it was really rough and I noticed I was missing some tread!! Luckily I had the spare along.

This tire was either cheap or free from my local tire shop several years ago and they mounted/balanced it on my rim. I checked the date code on the tire last night.....third week of 1995! No wonder. And the tire looked great until it threw tread.

81A5BE35-9763-4FD6-A785-5ED293D6188A.jpegBDE6D7CD-65E9-4314-8B3F-3F11E71FF0E6.jpeg

I was wondering if you got the part about "Drop In"?I was hoping you would bring a tamed Drop Bear, my Bernese mountain dog needs a playmate.

Joe mine is the pequea 1500.2002 year. Stihl on the original battery. Has a littler rust on the front from stones and salt. but other wise in pretty good shape. I just have the barn doors on mine. i like that ramp you got.
Does your battery charge off the truck? My new F150 is the first truck I've had with a factory towing package and plug. I've replaced the trailer side plug on the old one 2 times. I see on the diagram that one wire is a hot 12v. But when I put the truck side plugs on my old trucks I never ran a hot wire to them. I had to charge my battery now and then. The first battery did last a long time, but not that long. I would also play musical batteries with it when ever I bought new stuff like the Ford 641 and the Massey 135.

When I got to the factory they had the ramp and the taller upright brackets sitting on the forks of a lift. I said just grab your handles and we'll set it on a pallet. He said you can't lift that gate, it weighs 300 pounds. My old one is heavy, I can't pick it up, but I can let it down with out dropping it, and swing it up to close it. The new one is exactly like the old one, just a foot wider. I knew it couldn't weigh 300 pounds. We picked it up and set it in the trailer. I am going to look at some of the spring assist devices. I just need to be able to unhook them to drop the ramp to dump. I'm going to put it on today, I'll post pics driving my loader up on it.

Brought some hardwood scrounge to my friend’s cabin after work yesterday. The trailer was riding a bit rough as we got close but I thought it was just rough backroads. Once unloaded it was really rough and I noticed I was missing some tread!! Luckily I had the spare along.

This tire was either cheap or free from my local tire shop several years ago and they mounted/balanced it on my rim. I checked the date code on the tire last night.....third week of 1995! No wonder. And the tire looked great until it threw tread.

View attachment 855516View attachment 855518
That looks like one of the original tires on my Ford 641 tractor when I got it. It was made in 1957. I'd say you got your money's worth out of it?

My parents started to move down under back in the 60's. My Dad was a licensed Tree Expert. We did the tree maintenance for the Australian embassy. They told him that they were paying people to move to Oz. I thought it was a done deal, told all my friends. There was one sticking point. My Dad had just bought a 62 Pontiac Catalina and he loved that car. They would pay to ship it, but they would not pay to convert it to right hand drive. That car kept us from moving. I grew up on the movies of the out back. Don't know how accurate they were, but I really want to go. Almost 60 years later, I'm still stuck in Maryland, and we don't have any dang DROP BEARS!

Here's the ramp on the trailer. I was trying to figure out what I was going to do with the small tailgate? I got to looking at the front standard pockets and the short brackets almost fit in them. The I saw that the short brackets are made to bolt to the outside of the pocket, not in it. I'm going to get two pieces of angle and have my buddy weld the pivots to it, and put the short tailgate on the front. That way I can take it off, hinge it up or down, and not have to find a place to hide it.
Evw2i7b.jpg

1FlZPau.jpg

McqgnMK.jpg

I finished splitting and stacking all the hedge on my driveway last week. I had to move all the seasoned wood out of the racks into the garage to make room for it. Good point, my garage racks are ready for winter. When I stacked all the hedge in the racks outside next to the garage, I discovered I didn't have enough to completely fill those racks. I had time today and the weather was nice so out to the log yard #1 to get the rest of the big hedge I passed on earlier. Took the splitter this time so I wouldn't have to lift big pieces. I won't tell you how long it took. And full of ants. Now I've got another problem. today's load will more than fill the rack so I have to find a spot to put the excess. I did get also a white oak log which I needed to fill a hole in another pile before I put the tarp on. The first row on the truck is just camp wood, so it doesn't count.

IMG_9799.JPG

Back