Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For reference sake, 582 cubcadet converted to hydro, donor trans was out of a 1650 cc. Plows the garden every year, and has a 48" blade for snow duty. The 2 colored 782 will get a 3 point eventually as well. Original hydro trans. Just took the brinley hitch set up off of it so I could set it up with a 3 or hitch as well. Dont mind the yanmar it has a power shift trans.
View attachment 856800
View attachment 856801
Only problem with either of the Cubs is the front end is light. I also had a 2182 cub that was on mower duty, I think it had an 800lb tow rating. I wouldnt trust something newer to last very long, but theres no reason I can think of for a blanket statement that a hydro cant tow.

Haha yeah, That makes me think of another time with the cub. I couldn’t steer worth a **** if the fronts were even touching the ground while helping a neighbor move 10 tons of pea gravel. That poor sole was doing it with a wheel barrow in July. The first few dump carts full was down right scary with almost no control. You would think I wouldn’t have loaded them as heavily after that. Not a chance, I zip tied a 4’ long 6” h beam on to the bull bar. That weight on the front was the key and the big zip ties held up all day minus a few the exhaust melted by the front left tire. At the end of that day I drove the cub back home, I hit the lip of my driveway full speed and all the zip ties broke at once . It sent the beam sliding but the job was done.

Well to try to get back on topic, I thought I would sneak in splitting and stacking a few ratty pine rounds for the start of heating season. Unfortunately I forgot to take a pic before I unloaded it. So here is a pic of 0/9ths of a load of wood.
20200923_133244.jpg

Dropped some mixed softwood at my friend's vacation rental from the road association widening project we did last weekend.

Since I had been there last, someone had started pulling wood out of the middle of the existing stack. Yes, the middle like halfway down. You could just about have squeezed a beach ball into the hole. I am amazed the stacking held up sort of like a bridge with a keystone at the top and did not collapse on the foolish soul who did that. I shoved as many new rounds as I could into the hole and wiggled the pile good so it settled down onto the newly inserted rounds. Never ceases to amaze me as to what people will do when left to their own devices.

What lawnmower do you have? Hydrostatic transmission? I was told that you shouldn't pull anything with a Hydro trans.
I’m a few days behind again, so this may have been answered. Some dinky hydro’s should not be used to pull anything, including a hill. Mid size ones can pull small carts and lawn sweepers, then big one can pull a lot. I pull my half cord wood trailer with my JD 265 and x540 with no problem. JD’s like the 420 and 430 were made to pull ground engaging equipment. There is a guy on YouTube that put a Chevy Geo 3 cylinder engine on a JD 318 and used it for sled pulling running through the stock Sundstrand hydro.

So a friend referred a guy to me. He has two cords of 100” logs that he wants me and my kids to cut and split. He offered his saw and his hydro. I told him I’d bring my own saw. He’s an older fellow and said it will take us “many hours”. I told him we’d get it done in an evening.

That sounds like a good way to go broke even faster selling firewood!
Similar to the way to make a little money logging, you start out with a lot of money :lol: .
Oh, one of my other standard math answers is 40-11 (forty eleven). When my uncle was a young lad learning to count he got to 49 and didn't know any higher so apparently he went to 40-10, 40-11, and so on. My guess is that the family started laughing so hard he didn't continue. He's 84 now, so that's a family joke going on 80 years. LOL

I am also partial to "eleventeen".
So he's now 40-40, next year he'll be 40-40-1:laughing:.
Well to try to get back on topic, I thought I would sneak in splitting and stacking a few ratty pine rounds for the start of heating season. Unfortunately I forgot to take a pic before I unloaded it. So here is a pic of 0/9ths of a load of wood.
View attachment 857037
Can't believe you hauled all that bark in one load:muscle::rock:.

Latest posts

Back