Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's sweet, an articulated wheelbarrow :).
It's got some nice ground clearance, and Armstrong power steering lol.
Just like chainsaws Joe. One can never have to many tractors. :laugh:
:happy:
Just sold the leaf vac that came with the new to me kubota, that lowered the price of it by 800 :clap: .
Now to sell a couple other items to recoup the rest of the cash.
I already have four tractors, are you saying I need another one? OK, I’ll start looking today.
Probably wouldn't hurt:cheers:.

Ready for winter. Just finished filling the back porch - 4 cord there and 3 cord in he woodshed plus a small pile of uglies (mostly 'longs) outside the porch door. Got a good fire going, house at 82. outside 57, breezy and slow drizzle.

Burning mostliy black locust mixed with softwood (willow/poplar), some oak in the first two porch cords - burn that about Jan .

What's a load of wood going for around you all? Have never sold wood before, but my old boss keeps saying he wants to buy some from me. This is the first load, mostly white ash (was a nice solid standing tree I dropped last weekend), and the smalls is a mix of maple, mulberry, red oak, cherry, hackberry, elm, and a tiny bit of apple.

348686AD-4C25-4E06-A83A-0043CC1EBA95.jpeg

Ready for winter. Just finished filling the back porch - 4 cord there and 3 cord in he woodshed plus a small pile of uglies (mostly 'longs) outside the porch door. Got a good fire going, house at 82. outside 57, breezy and slow drizzle.

Burning mostliy black locust mixed with softwood (willow/poplar), some oak in the first two porch cords - burn that about Jan .

Jealous. We had some beautiful weather last weekend that felt like fall, however this weekend is warming back up to the 80s I heard. My wife won't let me start burning fires until it gets around 60 in the house and below freezing outside.

What's a load of wood going for around you all? Have never sold wood before, but my old boss keeps saying he wants to buy some from me. This is the first load, mostly white ash (was a nice solid standing tree I dropped last weekend), and the smalls is a mix of maple, mulberry, red oak, cherry, hackberry, elm, and a tiny bit of apple.

View attachment 857507
Not sure about that area and hardwood. Here red fir is $300 a cord, lodgepole pine $250.
Jealous. We had some beautiful weather last weekend that felt like fall, however this weekend is warming back up to the 80s I heard. My wife won't let me start burning fires until it gets around 60 in the house and below freezing outside.
First fire of the season here today, 30* this morning 55* and light rain now, fire feels pretty good DCC19FA6-0BAD-4D0C-B721-334B7B7AA309.jpegwife’s gone today so I can do what I want:laugh:
Good day to try out the new 572 xpgw too, never had heated handles before pretty nice:)

Not sure about that area and hardwood. Here red fir is $300 a cord, lodgepole pine $250.

First fire of the season here today, 30* this morning 55* and light rain now, fire feels pretty good View attachment 857514wife’s gone today so I can do what I want:laugh:
Good day to try out the new 572 xpgw too, never had heated handles before pretty nice:)

I'm to boss!.... when she's not around....

That's awesome man. Gonna sweep the chimney this weekend in preparation for burning.

I looked in Craigslist, there are only hardwoods right now. It’s not unusual to see softwoods though. I’ve never seen red fir for sale, people don’t want it. Lodgepole is the sought after softwood here, seems weird that you get more for red fir. Red fir would probably get you the same as Pine here, $150 - $175 a cord. Lodgepole might be about $50 more.

First fire of the season here today, 30* this morning 55* and light rain now, fire feels pretty good

We’re still running the air conditioner down here in the valley, and it’s supposed to warm up 12 degrees in a couple days.

I looked in Craigslist, there are only hardwoods right now. It’s not unusual to see softwoods though. I’ve never seen red fir for sale, people don’t want it. Lodgepole is the sought after softwood here, seems weird that you get more for red fir. Red fir would probably get you the same as Pine here, $150 - $175 a cord. Lodgepole might be about $50 more.
Funny how it’s so different in different areas. Nobody wants lodge pole here, red fir is what people want.

Scrounged a dab of Cherry this morning on my way in to the timber to load. Land owner had cut it up in manageable pieces to get it off his fence after the deracho. Had to toss it over the fence, but I like Cherry so...
Is that where the term 'cherry picking' comes from?

(nice scrounge)

Philbert

Funny how it’s so different in different areas. Nobody wants lodge pole here, red fir is what people want.
That is funny, no-one here wants pine or fir, not even if it's a jacket :laughing: .
Nice job dropping the stick, that husky sounds great :rock:.

Hardwood firewood is generally going for $200/cord around here. Not a lot of people burn, and lots of guys produce it, and there has been no shortage of storm damaged trees to cut up this year.

I split some Ash, Elm and Black Walnut this morning. The Elm makes me thankful for my Hydro splitter!

View attachment 857507
Softwood about $150
Hardwood $200-300.

If Joe Redneck needs beer a cord of hardwood might be $150 but it will be green and he’ll probably show up with a short bed full and call it a cord.

I‘ve cut red fir when there’s nothing else to cut. A long time ago we turned a 5’ diameter red fir into firewood, we got ten cord out of it. We would take the splitter in a trailer, unload it, split, load it back up and stack wood all around it. Each round was a quarter cord. I’ve also worked on two oaks that big. What people like most about lodgepole is it hardly leaves any ash, they’ll be ear to ear grin if hauling lodgepole. Like they struck gold. My property has white fir, it’s not high enough for red fir.

If Joe Redneck needs beer a cord of hardwood might be $150 but it will be green and he’ll probably show up with a short bed full and call it a cord.

We had customers so used to being shorted, they thought the pickup load was their cord and the trailer was someone else’s cord.

Back