Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been using the box my wood splitter came in for a wood box by the back door, was getting in pretty rough shape. Figured a new one would be good use for some of my milled boards, finally had time to finish it up today 6113E238-002B-4DCA-90CB-BB7173CAE35C.jpeg

Big pine tree by the house has been dripping pitch on the wife’s new car, she “requested” something be done. Snow broke a big limb out last winter, thankfully it missed the car. Was going to just cut some limbs off but wondering if it’d be better to just cut it down and turn it into wood and boards? It’s a nice tree, like having it there but it does lean towards the house085A9A30-8CA3-4517-B446-2C9DB9873AD4.jpeg

G'day troops. Look new peppermint scrounge!

18th Oct 3.jpg

Ok, I'll be honest, I cut it back in May and it has sat in the trailer since :omg: . Anyway, I had the eighth row stacked and the big question was whether I had enough to fill the last row.

18th Oct 2.jpg

I loaded up the big blue gum night-burners.

18th Oct 4.jpg

Then with the trailer load stacked...

18th Oct 6.jpg

With this much left over for the firepit.

18th Oct 7.jpg

Haha! Not bad for a pile of wood all scrounged before the burning season got going. 20 cubes = 5.5 cord in the bay.

The perfect pump!

:laugh:

With this much left over for the firepit.

18th Oct 7.jpg
I think if you just wait another 5 months you'll be able fit those in on top as the stack settles. :laugh:

With the woodshed full I see why you haven't been sending as many pics recently. Leaves you more time to work on the abdominal shield I suppose...

Decoy maintenance inside while the snow squalls come through.
Everlasting flotation for these thanks to spray foam.
View attachment 862001
These were pretty rashed up from years of decoy bag abuse so they got a shot of flat black (which appears shiny because it’s wet). Sometimes I’ll dust their backs with white or grey which looks quite like bluebills and ringnecks. Back in the old days, a lot of the hunters only used flat back decoys.
View attachment 862002

Guess it's time to bust out the sled.

View attachment 862209

Jealy! I can't wait for the snow to fly.

So, this is my next project in the woods. This red oak is not only a nice log, but its root structure is holding my bank in place. I'm afraid if I don't drop it soon, It'll fall, and take 10 yards of dirt with it.

Plan is to fell it and make firewood, and the leave the stump to hold that bank together.

Any tips are appreciated. Trying to decide if I should drop it over the creek, or towards the house. It won't reach the house, but has a lot of other trees it can hit/get caught in.

AB14E6EE-F843-487E-8D78-DBB0023E918B.jpeg78CE98C7-124B-40D0-8501-C99CE8DFD560.jpeg

Thought maybe you guy's that scrounge wood, might share some of your scrounging methods with the seemingly growing crowd of newbie wood burners. From what I have been reading, they would be quite appreciative to hear how you score, and where you score. There is a lot of useful and interesting information scattered throughout the firewood forum. I thought it might be nice to share some of your experiences in one thread, for those who are just starting out and maybe those who are struggling a bit. Thanks to anyone who cares to share.
i see folks giving it away on FB marketplace in SC KS.

Photos at last! i finished up collecting the oak from my neighbour. i reckon my initial 4m3 or just over a cord estimate still holds.

WQIxw-SToLcjRw_rnIB7f3Zorph0c2oxKLqX8tiWtiGJ0DdtMtuTSF6UGVzF1dl8ur2M0aCHFwtX-rHxLtgrlg4i6lcFIA-y1igPyFZauRjG383c38QLG5-4W7CvrOd8bwDHwuuCpg

the two oaks were just behind the bushes in the background, and the rounds ended up under them. the high fence panel was lifted out (its high as a round is holding it up currently). Under the pallets to the right is some of the dry splits I'm now burning, behind the two small apple trees and down at the end of the fence is the start of the pile from this year, which is 4' tall and wide until about one fence panel before the high one, it is then about half height and the oak is on top of the splits for now, so its temporary position is right where it will end up too.

and once it was all my side of the fence I shifted the limb wood off the lawn. It only went 15' to my usual spot to pile limbs before bucking and splitting but @Hranch will be please to see this

lnGofTkMT4GzxbnPWM_f8Wlyw4bvBZFibuU5ngN_lWy-M4eDhZQtKJ2esI-9_mRYdXgdXyT4aqKrJzwnBOYIOQ4jiIGCvzqh732A1V5X_yxkkEsdcHrJnDo9Db0-UOrC1ea0XjFWFw

my eldest is abit scrawny yet but she liked the idea. That is my scrounged barrow, it is in good nick!

Ended up towIng the splitter to the property this scrounge is from because the owner wasn’t around to use his kubota. Was going just noodle them but figured I’d exercise the wheel bearings and it was less than a mile away. I just quartered them with the 4 way and loaded. Split straight from the truck when I got back and called it a day.

3E8C3AF6-EEE0-4115-9052-5943B666656F.jpeg

Back